IGNORED

Advice for wives

MarblesMom

This list was in a cookbook I got when I was younger, complete with "modern day" (aka 1990s) rebuttals.

I agree with Jenirishdancer, the cartoons are what make it so bloody hillarious.

I've always enjoyed MST3K's responses to archaic social expectations.

Spoiler

According to Snopes, it's false. I remember getting this via email in the 90's. 

The list itself may not exist but those attitudes were real enough and probably still are in certain circles.

I dunno about laxative in his drink.... She might've put arsenic in there. I mean, look at her expression. :P

The top comment is this, and I like it:

I was born in 44 and had this sort of childhood. My dad's word was law. However that said, he was the one who drank black tea with no sugar so we could have. He worked shifts and there always had to be a pot of broth on the go in case he woke hungry. Mam's friends came in the back door to the kitchen so they wouldn't disturb him when sleeping. He worked endlessly for all of us and kept three allotments going for fresh veg not just for us but neighbours too. He wasn't too visible but you knew he was there. Mam ran the house hold like clockwork, she never worked, but that was how it was then. I wouldn't have had it any other way. Respect was mutual.

When I was a kid, I once asked my grandmother why she did all the housework and always made dinner, and she told me because my grandfather worked to make the money to pay for the house and everything they needed, and her contribution to their household was to take care of it.  She usually had her free time during the day, and his free time was usually in the evening.  

This made sense to me, and it still does.  I know most households have to have two incomes now, but if there's one breadwinner, I don't see how it's so bad if the at-home person takes care of things and makes a relaxing evening.  But as that commenter said, there's respect.  Our fundies don't respect the wife at home.  The wives aren't given much choice, and are expected to do more than 50's housewives.  In the 50's, it was patriotic or something to send kids off to school, which left time to tend to the home.

14 minutes ago, Jingerbread said:

I was a kid, I once asked my grandmother why she did all the housework and always made dinner, and she told me because my grandfather worked to make the money to pay for the house and everything they needed, and her contribution to their household was to take care of it.  She usually had her free time during the day, and his free time was usually in the evening.  

My Grandma told me the same thing. I live in a single income family and the respect is mutual between the bread winner and the stay at home spouse. We each have a role and job to fulfill to make our household work and run efficiently. One job isn't more important than the other, imo they are equally important.

I wish the fundie's would learn that gender doesn't define roles and that a *gasp* women could be the breadwinner and the man could be the sah spouse!! 

20 hours ago, Gossamer1 said:

According to Snopes, it's false. I remember getting this via email in the 90's. 

The list itself may not exist but those attitudes were real enough and probably still are in certain circles.

Bill Goatherd  *cough*

Yeah, it's gotta be fake if it instructs the wife to not fuss if the husband comes homes lates...or STAYS OUT ALL NIGHT?!!!!

This reminds me of a joke (you may have heard):

An older woman decides to drop in on her daughter-in-law for an unannounced visit.  

She is shocked when the DIL answers the door completely nude.  The DIL explains to her MIL that she's wearing her "love dress" for her husband's arrival home from work.  "After a long day at the office" she explains, your son is glad to find me wearing my love dress for him and he forgets all about the worries of the day."

This gives the MIL an idea.  When her husband arrives home that evening, she greets him at the door without a stitch of clothing.

"Hey, what's the big idea?" he exclaims in a surprised, yet critical tone.

"Darling" she responds seductively, "this is my love dress!"

"Hmpf!  It needs ironing!!"

1 minute ago, Gimme a Free RV said:

This reminds me of a joke (you may have heard):

An older woman decides to drop in on her daughter-in-law for an unannounced visit.  

She is shocked when the DIL answers the door completely nude.  The DIL explains to her MIL that she's wearing her "love dress" for her husband's arrival home from work.  "After a long day at the office" she explains, your son is glad to find me wearing my love dress for him and he forgets all about the worries of the day."

This gives the MIL an idea.  When her husband arrives home that evening, she greets him at the door without a stitch of clothing.

"Hey, what's the big idea?" he exclaims in a surprised, yet critical tone.

"Darling" she responds seductively, "this is my love dress!"

"Hmpf!  It needs ironing!!"

I think I would have died of embarrassment right there in the fucking door way if I answered the door nude and it was my MIL

I just watching the film Black Narcissus on TCM.  It was part of their spotlight on films that were originally "Condemned" by the Catholic Church's Legion of Decency or the Legion's successors.  Sister Rose Pacette, who is hosting the spotlight, said that the reason given for the condemnation was a flashback sequence where one of the nuns was remembering riding a horse with her boyfriend from the time before she entered religious life.  Why she should have been in the kitchen wearing an apron and helping her mother.  You could tell that Sister Rose that was perfectly ludicrous!

Archived