IGNORED

I Thought the SAHD Movement was Faltering but Maybe Not

GenerationCedarchip

From one of the bios:

Although daily reminded of just how much she has yet to learn, Rebekah is passionate about sharing truth through her longtime fondness of writing.

Men are writers. WomenLadies are just "fond of writing." 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Marian the Librarian said:

They're deep into the Plexus Slim pyramid scheme multi-level marketing racket these days - lots of before-and-after FB postings shilling Plexus as an alternative miracle cure for everything from "leaky gut" to thyroid disorders to Lyme disease. And Kelly spends her nights reading Spurgeon and shooting coyotes - he latest FB sports a pic of the gun hanging from her bedpost. She'll be 40 this year.

Oh, how pathetic--all of it. "Ah, the life" indeed.

I've been surprised that there haven't been more blogs and magazines and the like popping up to fill the void left behind by the Botkinettes. The DPIATR debacle and seeming confusion that followed would have been perfect for an enterprising mind to come along and say: "this is why what they were teaching was wrong, and that's why Lourdes got molested. This is how to do it the right way." "You're doing it wrong, try harder," is the rallying cry of these folks.

2 hours ago, Columbia said:

I've been surprised that there haven't been more blogs and magazines and the like popping up to fill the void left behind by the Botkinettes. The DPIATR debacle and seeming confusion that followed would have been perfect for an enterprising mind to come along and say: "this is why what they were teaching was wrong, and that's why Lourdes got molested. This is how to do it the right way." "You're doing it wrong, try harder," is the rallying cry of these folks.

Re: bolded. Well, isn't that what Scott Brown has "purposed to do?"

Sure, he excoriated Dougie at the Fall of the Tool, and happily helped kick him under the money bus, but not before ripping VF's mailing list out of the pocket of Dougie's navy blue blazer.

23 hours ago, Marian the Librarian said:

Here's the big group shot from last year's conference. I'd estimate there are roughly 125-150 people in this picture, give or take.

This is one of those "closed system" things, where like-minded markets to like-minded. I suspect a lot of the same women attend every year, as much for the break from daily drudgery as for the "encouragement."

I'm reminded of my favorite line from The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie: "For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like."

(All hail Maggie Smith...:worship:)

KBRCON15_0228GroupPicture.jpg

That's a lot of white girls in pastels!  Did any minorities attend this shindig?

On 3/2/2016 at 6:12 PM, hoipolloi said:

She completed the requirements for a degree in English through CollegeMinus or something similar.

What that linked article does NOT say is that she also worked outside the home before marriage (at a private Christian high school in Houston) and is still doing so after marriage. She and her husband live in Minneapolis and she is teaching at another private Christian school.

Why aren't the Maxwells aren't speaking at this conference?

ETA: Re: Jasmine Baucham Holmes. Once again, it's do as we say, not as we do. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I doubt that Stevehovah would let his daughters appear anywhere unless they were the sole speakers and that Steve got all the proceeds.

and my thought on Sarah speaking is she isn't a good rep of this movement is she for what their goal is.   The young women who are speaking all looked to be around 25 ish....You can sell the SAHD/purity/perfume for Jesus thing when you are younger, how would it look for Sarah to be held up as a model for this movement? She is 33? and living at home and waiting, you might have some of those younger women thinking get me the hell of out here!  And fwiw, my heart breaks for Sarah and all of the life she is missing out on.

10 minutes ago, teachergirl said:

and my thought on Sarah speaking is she isn't a good rep of this movement is she for what their goal is.   The young women who are speaking all looked to be around 25 ish....You can sell the SAHD/purity/perfume for Jesus thing when you are younger, how would it look for Sarah to be held up as a model for this movement? She is 33? and living at home and waiting, you might have some of those younger women thinking get me the hell of out here!  And fwiw, my heart breaks for Sarah and all of the life she is missing out on.

Sarah could be exhibited as an example of a older daughter who is faithful to what God/daddy wants even when it's difficult. But most fundie families don't want a bunch of middle aged daughters hanging around the house, they want quivers and quivers of grandchildren, which can't happen if you refuse to let your daughters leave the house. The SAHD movement wants goals that are mutually exclusive, and many families see that. As for "poor Sarah," I have no doubt that she is exactly where she wants to be. She is so fearful of the outside world and other people that I can't see her ever getting married or even having another older SAHD as a friend.

On 3/4/2016 at 5:03 PM, Marian the Librarian said:

Here's the big group shot from last year's conference. I'd estimate there are roughly 125-150 people in this picture, give or take.

This is one of those "closed system" things, where like-minded markets to like-minded. I suspect a lot of the same women attend every year, as much for the break from daily drudgery as for the "encouragement."

I'm reminded of my favorite line from The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie: "For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like."

(All hail Maggie Smith...:worship:)

KBRCON15_0228GroupPicture.jpg

I'm sorry, but all that pastel reminds me of FLDS women. Don't they wear a lot of lavender and blue?

On 3/3/2016 at 6:41 PM, JMarie said:

I wouldn't call Cabelas an attraction.

One opened in our general vicinity sort of recently, and it is definitely an attraction. People came from out of state for the grand opening. I don't know why is an attraction, but it is. 

1 hour ago, Anonymousguest said:

One opened in our general vicinity sort of recently, and it is definitely an attraction. People came from out of state for the grand opening. I don't know why is an attraction, but it is. 

Did it have that mountain with all of the stuffed animals on it? That seems to be a real draw for some people.

Cabela's isn't in my area but I've visited one or two. 

8 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Did it have that mountain with all of the stuffed animals on it? That seems to be a real draw for some people.

I don't know, I've never been!'

9 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

I have no interest in hunting or fishing but I went with some family members to a Cabelas right after it opened (actually it was in the KC area so it may be the same on listed on the conference site). I recall there was a big fish tank with all kinds of American freshwater fish. Kind of cool. And I imagine that a lot of the families that attend this are from rural areas, a shopping trip in the city is probably a special occasion anyway.

11 hours ago, Evil Feminist said:

I'm sorry, but all that pastel reminds me of FLDS women. Don't they wear a lot of lavender and blue?

I remember reading that the dress colors of FLDS women indicates which husband they "belong to."

The different pastel-colored dresses identify wives of the same husband. The long sleeves and skirts cover white religious garments. "Actually long-sleeved, it goes all the way down to their ankles, so they're to cover their garment," Carl said.

They are forbidden to wear red or black. "Jesus is to wear that. He'll come, he'll return in a red-colored robe, so that's off limits. And black, and the dark is also off limits because that is the sign of Satan," Joni explained.

The women's hair swept up over their foreheads relates to their spirituality. "It looks like a goose thing on top of their heads, the higher they can get that, the more righteous they are, so that's a trademark for them. They really are proud of that," Joni said.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=3092303

The thing that always gets me is, the Botkins, the Maxwell, and the Mally daughters do work. They work for the family-business both in creating content and by serving as spokeswomen and doing publicity. It's a lot easier to not go to college or work outside the home when your family has an established business for you to participate in, versus if your father is a truck driver or a janitor.

So not only are the wealthier families better able to support dependents, but they are actually more likely to be able to make those adult dependents bring in money in a Fundie-approved way.

3 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

I have no interest in hunting or fishing but I went with some family members to a Cabelas right after it opened (actually it was in the KC area so it may be the same on listed on the conference site). I recall there was a big fish tank with all kinds of American freshwater fish. Kind of cool. And I imagine that a lot of the families that attend this are from rural areas, a shopping trip in the city is probably a special occasion anyway.

Cabelas isn't in my area, but there is a Bass Pro Shop, which is similar(right down to the fish tank).

On 3/5/2016 at 4:29 PM, DomWackTroll said:

From one of the bios:

i thought that was strange as well.....

1 hour ago, biblelandjunkie said:
On March 5, 2016 at 6:29 PM, DomWackTroll said:

From one of the bios:

i thought that was strange as well.....

Sexism. A relic from before second-wave feminism. It's a way to devalue the work women do and put a cap on how high they're allowed to rise in their chosen field of expertise. Similar to "men are chefs, women are cooks"; "men are concert pianists, women are 'fond of music' (see Marianne Dashwood)"; "men are artists, women paint (see Elinor Dashwood)".

It says a lot about our society that a physician and a concert pianist command more respect than a midwife and a music teacher. The fact that the former two are traditionally men's professions, while the latter two are women's, says even more. The fact that, given this hierarchy of respect, Jill Duggar and Erin Bates weren't encouraged to become a doctor and a concert pianist respectively, says the most.

I feel badly for these girls that end up SAHD until their 30's....it is like they are the spinster in the family who never got courted by the fundy boys.  

I don't feel too badly for them; I mean, they escape the doom of marriage to a 20-year-old with a tragic hairline and superiority complexes out the wazoo. Sure, they compulsively pen blogs and books and conference papers trying to convince themselves other girls that they're not pissing their lives away, but it's better than the alternative.

What I'm wondering about is what they will do once their parents aren't able to provide for them anymore? Many of them never had a real job, and who is going to hire a 50+ year old woman without any real education or work experience?

Sure, in theory, their brothers would have to provide for them, but I doubt they will be able to, as they also will have to provide for their wife and eleventy kids, which is already hard enough if you only have a SOTDRT education.

Just now, Sundaymorning said:

What I'm wondering about is what they will do once their parents aren't able to provide for them anymore? Many of them never had a real job, and who is going to hire a 50 year old women without any real education or work experience?

Sure, in theory, their brothers would have to provide for them, but I doubt they will be able to, as they also will have to provide for their wife and eleventy kids, which is already hard enough if you only have a SOTDRT education.

In addition to the ones from families where the wife failed in her duty to provide a son. (Conveniently ignoring, of course, whose contribution provides the Y chromosome.) In those cases, not even brothers to fall back on.

Perhaps if the fathers die without doing their duty (i.e. finding a proper husband for their daughter) the elders of their churches can go on one of those xtian dating sites and match the spinsters up with bachelors professing the proper doctrine. Of course, it's not a sure thing: they might unknowingly match a woman up with a pedophile, as in one case with tragic results that I heard about.

On 06/03/2016 at 0:18 AM, teachergirl said:

Turned 34 in January, FYI.

And yeah, the poor girl woman kidult.

5 hours ago, Sundaymorning said:

What I'm wondering about is what they will do once their parents aren't able to provide for them anymore?

Break out their sewing machines and whip up a period-accurate Miss Havisham costume.

5 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

Break out their sewing machines and whip up a period-accurate Miss Havisham costume.

Except that even Miss Havisham was engaged at some point. Many of the SAHD we follow aren't even close... :my_confused:

Archived