IGNORED

Confessions of Abuse No Longer Covered under Mandatory Reporting Law in LA

FundieFarmer

A Louisiana judge has struck down part of a mandatory reporting law that requires priests to report suspected child abuse.

Because religious freedom, that’s why.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2016/03/01/louisiana-judge-rules-that-priests-dont-have-to-report-abuse-if-they-hear-it-during-confession/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

This just confirms my hatred of organised religion. This goes against everything that Christ taught, and they are using church legalities to undermine honest and Christian behaviour.

I hope this case is reported to the Vatican lickety-split.  I think Pope Francis would be as appalled as we are - he is NOT a Canon law sort of guy. (I rather like him; it's a shame about the church.)

I thought priests were already exempt from reporting crimes admitted to them.  It's news to me that they are supposed to report it anywhere.

3 hours ago, Jingerbread said:

I thought priests were already exempt from reporting crimes admitted to them.  It's news to me that they are supposed to report it anywhere.

I think it was different in this case because children fall under a different law. 

In Germany, priests and pastors are exempt from reporting or testifying in court - IF it was said in confession and it was not a child who reported that it was abused (than even they have to report) and the childs report was not in confession (but in a counseling session). If the abusers confesses it, their hands are bound by the so called "beichtgeheimnis" because the confessor has to be able to rely on the confession being confidential. 

Correct me, if I am wrong, though. This is the was I remember it from my counseling classes from college.

Words haven't been invented for how disturbing this is.

I just don't understand how this could be justified, even in silly, twisted, right wing pseudo-logic. Who would think this is a good idea, to destroy protections in place for children?

By virtue of certifications I hold for teaching therapeutic horseback riding, I'm a mandatory reporter. I'm not really sure how it works now that I don't actually teach or use the certification, and nobody ever reported anything to me when I did...but I can't imagine what it would be like to hear that and not be allowed to tell. 

33 minutes ago, doggie said:

If you don't report child abuse you condone it.

I'm not saying I wouldn't report it. I meant it more that when I taught, we had specific channels we had to go through the organization to do it. I don't teach so it's different now. I would obviously still report it.

2 minutes ago, FundieFarmer said:

I'm not saying I wouldn't report it. I meant it more that when I taught, we had specific channels we had to go through the organization to do it. I don't teach so it's different now. I would obviously still report it.

sorry I did not mean you. I meant more generally.

2 minutes ago, doggie said:

sorry I did not mean you. I meant more generally.

Gotcha. I completely agree though. Reporting is too easy not to do it. Just pick up the damn phone, call 911 (here in the States), make a report, and go. I'm flabbergasted the judge thought this was an appropriate ruling.

The people who put religious rights over the rights of children not to be raped and the rights of others not to be harmed must be hiding things they've done.  That a church will help conceal crimes is more proof to me that maybe we need to do away with broad religious rights.  You shouldn't get jailed for personal beliefs, but religious rights as we know them allow churches to operate outside the law.

Archived