IGNORED

Bates Family Part 11

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

Did they mention that Carlin is graduating soon? Or was that something else I saw? We've heard nothing about Joy graduating and she's older than Carlin is, although I know people progress differently etc and since Jill and Jessa married she's probably been doing a lot more round the house/been in charge etc. 

I think it may be Tori, but I can't remember.  Either way Carlin is at Crown and so at some point will graduate with a crown degree what ever that is worth. Joy isn't doing higher education at all, as far as we know, so I'm not expecting to hear of a graduation for her.  At 18, I'm sure she's already graduated from SODRT a while ago.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ElegantMajesticPearls said:

Can someone explain to me why his comment is problematic? Its not hateful nor ignorant.  Is it the liberal comment? I can't knock the kid for expressing his own opinion on his own social media, no matter if I don't agree with his political beliefs. 

It is problematic in that he's trying to pursue a squeaky-clean image of a country gospel singer, & he's trying to do it almost entirely through social media, because he rarely performs, and when he does it is rarely more than 1 song.

Trying to be a celebrity and express political opinions on social media is a HUUUUGE minefield, & I don't have any reason to believe that Lawson has the critical thinking skills to negotiate that minefield.

tl; dr: Trying to portray yourself as a sunny, inoffensive entertainer? Then keep your mouth shut about politics.

Personally him posting his politics doesn't bother me at all. Politics is all a matter of opinions and no one's opinion can be wrong. Someones opinion could be misinformed but not wrong. I agree with the general message Lawson is saying, I don't think Trump is a christian of any kind and I don't think he has good character/personality for presidency, but probably for different reasons.

One of things I really like about fundies is that they teach their kids about the importance of the political process, even if I hate why they do it and hold very different beliefs than them. 

Halleluja, BuB is available for streaming, and I can get my snark fix. First thoughts:

- Is Josie turning in to Erin vol 2?

- Man, Michaela likes to play with her wedding ring. 

- B&M have a couch for me time every morning. And for their....Bible study. They are very touchy-feely.

- Defrauding thights in tights!

- And like.. and like...

And were is Jesus? Religion has been pushed quite far back, hasn't it?

43 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

He literally says nothing about the KKK, women or minorities in his IG post and I see no link at the bottom. Did he post something elsewhere?

Oh, I guess I must have been looking at a different thing. I thought we were talking about the link he posted on Twitter about the same topic for some reason, from the Christian Post. *facepalm* That article is much more measured and has all the references I mentioned.

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

Did they mention that Carlin is graduating soon? Or was that something else I saw? We've heard nothing about Joy graduating and she's older than Carlin is, although I know people progress differently etc and since Jill and Jessa married she's probably been doing a lot more round the house/been in charge etc. 

19 minutes ago, imokit said:

I think it may be Tori, but I can't remember.  Either way Carlin is at Crown and so at some point will graduate with a crown degree what ever that is worth. Joy isn't doing higher education at all, as far as we know, so I'm not expecting to hear of a graduation for her.  At 18, I'm sure she's already graduated from SODRT a while ago.

This was about Carlin graduating SODRT, not Tori graduating college. Tori is the older one who's at Crown, while Carlin is still in school. And I remember it being mentioned that she's graduating soon (which would make sense) but I don't remember where I saw/heard it.

It has never been said anywhere that Joy graduated SODRT. She might be behind because of her other responsibilities, or she graduated and it was kept quiet (unlikely, IMHO).

1 hour ago, tumblr said:

Personally him posting his politics doesn't bother me at all. Politics is all a matter of opinions and no one's opinion can be wrong. Someones opinion could be misinformed but not wrong. I agree with the general message Lawson is saying, I don't think Trump is a christian of any kind and I don't think he has good character/personality for presidency, but probably for different reasons.

One of things I really like about fundies is that they teach their kids about the importance of the political process, even if I hate why they do it and hold very different beliefs than them. 

No one's opinion can be wrong?! You should really think that through before you post things like that. Of course opinions can be wrong. People like this are of the opinion that the US was founded to be a Christian nation. Their opinions are often based in falsehood and bad information. Opinions can be inherently wrong - and opinion leads to action.

And I can't even begin to address the idea that "politics is opinion". I can't even.

2 hours ago, ElegantMajesticPearls said:

Can someone explain to me why his comment is problematic? Its not hateful nor ignorant.  Is it the liberal comment? I can't knock the kid for expressing his own opinion on his own social media, no matter if I don't agree with his political beliefs. 

For one, I have a general problem with proselytism. Expressing your opinion in your own social media: perfectly fine, even if I disagree. Telling people who to vote for and who not to vote for: not OK, hence the smug+arrogant comment. Anyone trying to proselytize anyone else, regardless of the cause, comes across as smug+arrogant to me. For some reason, fundies like to to that. The less educated, the better they are at it. 

3 hours ago, Paperplate said:

This was about Carlin graduating SODRT, not Tori graduating college. Tori is the older one who's at Crown, while Carlin is still in school. And I remember it being mentioned that she's graduating soon (which would make sense) but I don't remember where I saw/heard it.

It has never been said anywhere that Joy graduated SODRT. She might be behind because of her other responsibilities, or she graduated and it was kept quiet (unlikely, IMHO).

Joy is probably a little behind. If she had graduated, you can be sure Lily and Ellie would know. 

And proselytism IS a pain in the ass. We don't get it much here. I had someone once coming through a Tube train passing out flyers for some conference which turned out to be religious, and a while ago in London there was this bloke who used to stand and talk about God or Jesus or the Bible, I don't remember. And I think my brother said once he was on a bus with a proselytiser, not that she was next to him but he could hear her or something. Thankfully that seems to be the extent of it here!!

16 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Joy is probably a little behind. If she had graduated, you can be sure Lily and Ellie would know. 

And proselytism IS a pain in the ass. We don't get it much here. I had someone once coming through a Tube train passing out flyers for some conference which turned out to be religious, and a while ago in London there was this bloke who used to stand and talk about God or Jesus or the Bible, I don't remember. And I think my brother said once he was on a bus with a proselytiser, not that she was next to him but he could hear her or something. Thankfully that seems to be the extent of it here!!

Don't give fundies ideas.

I have no problem with someone expressing their opinion - even proselytizing.    After all according to the online Merriam-Webster an opinion is a belief, judgment, or way of thinking about something : what someone thinks about a particular thing.

How can an opinion be wrong?   It is what you think about something.   Your thoughts and beliefs.    

If I disagree with someone's opinion because my opinion differs, it is okay.   I won't force my belief on them because my opinion is different.     I might share my opinion with them.  

4 hours ago, Paperplate said:

Michael mentioned it in an interview that she did with knoxnews or something like that, she briefly mentions that Carlin will be graduating in April.

1 hour ago, SamE said:

I have no problem with someone expressing their opinion - even proselytizing.    After all according to the online Merriam-Webster an opinion is a belief, judgment, or way of thinking about something : what someone thinks about a particular thing.

How can an opinion be wrong?   It is what you think about something.   Your thoughts and beliefs.    

If I disagree with someone's opinion because my opinion differs, it is okay.   I won't force my belief on them because my opinion is different.     I might share my opinion with them.  

@nelliebelle1197 This person conveyed my point better than I did. Someones opinion can not be wrong so long as that is what they believe. The opinion can be based on false information but an opinion by definition can not be wrong for the same reason a religion can not be wrong. It's a belief. Many aren't backed up with real data or hard evidence but that doesn't make it wrong.

I think someone's opinion can be MORALLY, absolutely, inarguably wrong, but that doesn't mean they don't have the right to express it. The KKK has the right to express its ideas. The issue isn't whether an opinion is 'wrong' or not. Lawson Bates' opinions are wrong. He can still express them.

I hate when he does. But if I were a celebrity, you can BET I'd be using that platform to argue against discrimination, for prison and immigration reform, etc etc. Most celebrities do. Nearly everyone with any platform at all does. In fact, anyone with a Facebook! So if I'm honest, I have to admit that the problem is that I fundamentally find his views disgusting and immoral. But it's still his right to share them.

6 hours ago, Kleine Vampirin said:

Smugson Bates? :my_smile:

:D Whenever I saw his name, I uber-Christianized it (with a touch of Scandinavian) into Lordsson (Lord's Son).   Hmmm....maybe I've created the new ultimate fundy baby boy name?  Must add a TM.

2 hours ago, SamE said:

So if I hold the opinion that gays should be rounded up and put into concentration camps or that the US government is really a theocracy and christian biblical government should take precedence over law, then those OPINIONS are valid and correct? Beliefs, judgements and ways of thinking can be wrong. Because someone has a thought, that does not mean that particular thought, value, belief or judgement is correct.

Here's an opinion for you, a belief. I am glad you think it is correct and there are no wrong opinions:

Frequently Asked Questions About NAMBLA and Man/Boy Love

Q:  What do you seek to accomplish?

A:  NAMBLA was formed in the belief that if people knew more about the actual nature of typical man/boy love relationships, that there would be less unjust scapegoating and persecution of boys and men who have such relationships

I think opinions are based on a whole host of things: beliefs, experience, upbringing, etc. But not all opinions are morally or legally correct. @NellieBell's example is the perfect example.....these people can have their opinions, but they are morally and legally wrong.

I agree that the word opinion covers a very vast expanse.  If something was provably true or false, it would be fact not opinion.  However, that doesn't mean that all opinions are equal or that all opinions should be respected or whatever.  All opinions are NOT equal.  If I break my arm, I am going to ask for the opinion of my doctor and not my 9 year old.  Opinions will be given more weight and credit if they are based on sound reasoning that doesn't warp or misconstrue facts and is preferably backed by education, experience, etc.  JMO.

ETA - free speech means that the government is not allowed to restrict the expression of opinion except in certain limited circumstances.  It doesn't at all mean that anyone has to allow you to express your opinion in their group or establishment, listen to your opinion, agree with your opinion, refrain from drowning out your opinion, etc.

Opinions aren't facts and are up for judgement from others. Only confronting different opinions you can have a discussion.  And in a discussion you can be proved wrong in your opinion. Because it doesn't stand against logic or because unfounded or indifendibile. As people already said,  this is completely different from the right to have and express an opinion.

Further, incomplete or erroneous information leads to incomplete or erroneous opinions. Having said that, everyone is entitled to their opinion, however much I may disagree with it.

Lately I noticed this trend in which in public dabates even if someone's opinion encounters a strong opposition and is proved wrong, people refuse not to change their opinion ( that's perfectly fine you have every right to keep your opinion if you want, none can tell you what to think) but to even aknowledge different opinions and open at the possibility that in the discussion the other part's opinion can come out as valid. When this happens you have Trump, he is right cause he said so.

13 hours ago, SweetFellowshipper said:

Because he's on a show because his parents banged repeatedly for Jesus, 

I think this might be the single best thing I've ever read on FJ :pb_lol::pb_lol:

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived