IGNORED

Bates Family Part 11

Coconut Flan

Two babies in the works, and no Michaela pregnancy announcement yet. 

Continued from Part: 10:

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kaci and it's various spellings is a particularly common name where I live (a bit north of the Bates clan) and among people my age (26). Personally I know a Kaycee (female), several Caseys (female + males), Kasey (male), and Cayce (female). 

Lawson went on this massive rant on IG about how peoplr shouldn't vote for Trump. 

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Lawson went on this massive rant on IG about how peoplr shouldn't vote for Trump. 

While I respect that one of the reasons he dislikes Trump is for his cruel spirit, of course his main reasons are that he isn't conservative enough and used to be liberal. Not Trump's racism or lack of any real policy or financial shadiness. No, he was pro-choice once so you know, liberal.

I bet they are all voting for Ted Cruz since Fuckabee is gone. The Bates are smart enough to be more subtle about their politics than the Duggars, but they believe the same things.

I'm curious about what these people will do if Trump does become the nominee. Will they vote for him because he's a lesser evil (in their minds) than Hillary Clinton, or will they stay at home? Or vote for some fringe protest candidate?

7 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I'm curious about what these people will do if Trump does become the nominee. Will they vote for him because he's a lesser evil (in their minds) than Hillary Clinton, or will they stay at home? Or vote for some fringe protest candidate?

they see hillary as evil incarnate so I think they will go for trump and just pray for him

3 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I know this following quote comes from a different brand of fundy but they may all have similar ideas about that.

As per our dearly beloved Ken I want to coach the Donald Alexander: (bolding mine)

So I feel your pain, and if it comes down to Hilary or Trump, I may indeed vote for Trump as he is at least talking about my values, even if I don't see the fruit in him yet. I know for sure what we get with Hillary, so we have to choose wisely even if we do not like many things about the candidate. To not vote is a vote for Hillary.

I wonder why Lawson is all of a sudden talking politics so freely, I don't remember him doing it before. Maybe he wants a bit more attention?

Regardless of my choice republican hopeful, I can assure I will vote Republican regardless of the GOP nominee. Praying for change & the Grand ol party is our only chance! We need all conservative voters @lawbates...so all please all conservatives vote in the primary. God bless America! Xo

This comment left under his post scares me...

Quoting @samurai_sarah's post from the last thread (is there a prettier way to do this?)

Ouch! I'm sorry this happened to you.

Frankly, I'm guilty as charged. In my Catholic region of Germany, the general assumption at a wedding is that the bride is pregnant. It's "wink-wink-nudge-nudge". It never occurred to me that the joke might be painful, because it's such a cliché in my region. Which is stupid, and hurtful, now that you pointed it out. 

I'm sorry to hear that you got hurt, but thank you for sharing and making someone more aware.

Ugh. I hate it that this is still an issue, even if it is meant in a teasing/not serious way. (And please don't think that I am ranting about you, samurai_sarah. I am definitely not! :))

When my future grandfather-in-law found out Mr. O and I are getting married, he was actually disappointed that we're not doing it because I'm pregnant.

a.) What fucking century is this? Why the fuck would I get married just 'cause I'm pregnant?

b.) In the six years that Mr. O and I have been together, I've never even met the man. My future MIL has very little contact with her parents, and Mr. O has even less contact with his grandparents. So how exactly is the content of my uterus any of his gransfather's business?

9 hours ago, artdecades said:

While I respect that one of the reasons he dislikes Trump is for his cruel spirit, of course his main reasons are that he isn't conservative enough and used to be liberal. Not Trump's racism or lack of any real policy or financial shadiness. No, he was pro-choice once so you know, liberal.

I bet they are all voting for Ted Cruz since Fuckabee is gone. The Bates are smart enough to be more subtle about their politics than the Duggars, but they believe the same things.

Most of the fundie lites I went to High School\Church Camp with seem to all be big Ben Carson fans as even if none of them are Seventh Day Adventists they appreciate his deeply christian beliefs and seem to believe he 'walks the walk' more than Cruz. 

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I wonder why Lawson is all of a sudden talking politics so freely, I don't remember him doing it before. Maybe he wants a bit more attention?

Because he's on a show because his parents banged repeatedly for Jesus, so now he believes he's a social/political commentator whose views matter to the world.

A lot of these fundies suddenly become cultural critics (Josh, anyone?).

"Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall." Just some scripture for Lawson to ponder. Lawson actually reminds me a lot of Josh Duggar pre-scandal.

5 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

"Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall." Just some scripture for Lawson to ponder. Lawson actually reminds me a lot of Josh Duggar pre-scandal.

I was just thinking that same thing. I was telling someone I know about Lawson's page and I said, "He's taken the Josh Duggar approach to instagraming." All Lawson needs to do to complete the Josh Instagram transformation is to start making fun of people with disabilities. 

Lawson is the stereotypical product of the Bates' and Duggars' SOTDRT - smug, uneducated, unintelligent. He might have a chance to mature out of his smugness, if he was actually exposed to something else in a non-judgmental, US vs. THEM context. 

Can someone explain to me why his comment is problematic? Its not hateful nor ignorant.  Is it the liberal comment? I can't knock the kid for expressing his own opinion on his own social media, no matter if I don't agree with his political beliefs. 

Did they mention that Carlin is graduating soon? Or was that something else I saw? We've heard nothing about Joy graduating and she's older than Carlin is, although I know people progress differently etc and since Jill and Jessa married she's probably been doing a lot more round the house/been in charge etc. 

6 minutes ago, ElegantMajesticPearls said:

Can someone explain to me why his comment is problematic? Its not hateful nor ignorant.  Is it the liberal comment? I can't knock the kid for expressing his own opinion on his own social media, no matter if I don't agree with his political beliefs. 

I don't find his comment personally offensive.  I even agree with some of it.  Trump is devoid of morals, is a giant wind bag, and is an all-around bully.  What bothers me about his rant is its' condescension.  The implication that conservatives who vote for Trump are missing the big picture because of Trumps failure to tick off uber Christian check boxes for politicians is insulting to any voter who makes balloting decisions based on something other than Jebus.  

Actually, now that I read the article he posted, I have a sliver of hope for Lawson. Besides the usual evangelical mumbo jumbo, the article's main focus is how Trump demeans women and minorities and his association with the KKK, as well as his disrespect for freedom of speech. It was a lot more measured than I thought. Lawson is arrogant and smug, but at least he doesn't seem to be an anti-pc good ol' boy...

I'm the leftiest lefty of all the lefties and I definitely DO NOT agree with the kid politically, but hey, baby steps are still steps. I'm so used to these fundies acting like demeaning women and people of color is A-OK and even preferable that even a tiny bit of acknowledgement that hey, that actually might be wrong, is a good thing to me.

9 minutes ago, SweetFellowshipper said:

Actually, now that I read the article he posted, I have a sliver of hope for Lawson. Besides the usual evangelical mumbo jumbo, the article's main focus is how Trump demeans women and minorities and his association with the KKK, as well as his disrespect for freedom of speech. It was a lot more measured than I thought. Lawson is arrogant and smug, but at least he doesn't seem to be an anti-pc good ol' boy...

I didn't see where Lawson said anything about Trump  demeaning women or minorities or the KKK.  Did he post a link to an article?   What I read was his "open letter" on IG. This is the part of his open letter that irked me:

"From a Christian perspective, character should matter most.  It doesn't matter how many "evangelicals" endorse him, I won't be supporting him in this primary, and I urge you not to either.  With other candidates of principal [sic] in the race, I implore those who care about the direction of our country to not get swept into his hype, braggadocio, and political pandering."

My view is.... From a saving the country perspective, the ability to govern effectively should matter most.  Not Christianity.  

27 minutes ago, SweetFellowshipper said:

I'm the leftiest lefty of all the lefties and I definitely DO NOT agree with the kid politically, but hey, baby steps are still steps. I'm so used to these fundies acting like demeaning women and people of color is A-OK and even preferable that even a tiny bit of acknowledgement that hey, that actually might be wrong, is a good thing to me.

He literally says nothing about the KKK, women or minorities in his IG post and I see no link at the bottom. Did he post something elsewhere?

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived