IGNORED

Counting On Season One

Coconut Flan

46 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

The episode has not aired yet.  They built the tree house in January:

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/josh-duggar-sex-scandal-jana-duggar-filming-with-younger-kids-lumber-yard/

You can see pictures of the extravagant tree house here:

https://www.facebook.com/269181913180625/photos/pb.269181913180625.-2207520000.1457009360./861120037320140/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/269181913180625/photos/pb.269181913180625.-2207520000.1457009360./861120047320139/?type=3&theater

The Duggars just like to pretend that they live frugally.  It's just more of the deception and the difference between how they like to be perceived and what really goes on within the family. 

OK, that looks really really unsafe. Way too much weight for those skinny posts (that are probably not sunk deep or cased in cement). It's base is in a valley, which looks like it could become water filled during a good storm.   Someone commented that it was nice because the littles don't have to climb to get to it- but i thought the point of a tree house was to climb. Develop coordination and burn off some energy.  This is just a big deck with a gazebo.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

OK, that looks really really unsafe. Way too much weight for those skinny posts (that are probably not sunk deep or cased in cement). It's base is in a valley, which looks like it could become water filled during a good storm.   Someone commented that it was nice because the littles don't have to climb to get to it- but i thought the point of a tree house was to climb. Develop coordination and burn off some energy.  This is just a big deck with a gazebo.

Maybe its so they can not only "time shift" but "location shift" and Jill and Derrick can pretend to be living in a third world hut in nowheresville but really live in their cult compound. Either that, or they'll claim its "practice" for the mission field.

1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

Maybe its so they can not only "time shift" but "location shift" and Jill and Derrick can pretend to be living in a third world hut in nowheresville but really live in their cult compound. Either that, or they'll claim its "practice" for the mission field.

Many of the fb commenters think it may be josh's new digs.

1 hour ago, paulypepper said:

Not sure I ever heard her string together a whole sentence in Spanish. I remember the episode where she put cards on everything in the kitchen with the appropriate Spanish word on it...but just knowing how to say  'cabinet' is in Spanish is a long way from conversational Spanish. So just know 19 that you are probably you're prolly rockin' the language.

My Spanish is mostly from high school (I graduated in the late 90s).  I haven't really used it since except for there's a toy for feline headships that is called "El Gato Muy Loco."  (Lives up to its name-- a Cuban cigar made of powerful nip).

That's about the extent of my Spanish use.

I'm not convinced that we're going to see any of JB and DQ in the new show (other than the flashbacks/rehash of the previously taped birth scene and Jill's farewell).  I think TLC may be trying to weasel out of being a Total Loser Company by squeezing them out of the show or appearing to squeeze them out..  I think that at least for season 1, we're only going to get the kidults on the show.  Whether or not this means that TLC is paying them directly or paying into some Duggar trust, who knows, but they have deniability for folks like me/us who hate that they're continuing to support the JB Duggar brand. 

This of course, also give the Duggar's deniability that the show is supporting Joshley or that their kids aren't real adults.  Or that they're continuing to exploit their kids.

I hope none of those innocent children fall out of that stupid, damn treehouse. Since it is on their property they didn't probably need real plans, or help from a real builder. I don't know. Kids don't know how "high" something is, much lower would have been just as fun. 

28 minutes ago, Mothership said:

I'm not convinced that we're going to see any of JB and DQ in the new show (other than the flashbacks/rehash of the previously taped birth scene and Jill's farewell).  I think TLC may be trying to weasel out of being a Total Loser Company by squeezing them out of the show or appearing to squeeze them out..  I think that at least for season 1, we're only going to get the kidults on the show.  Whether or not this means that TLC is paying them directly or paying into some Duggar trust, who knows, but they have deniability for folks like me/us who hate that they're continuing to support the JB Duggar brand. 

This of course, also give the Duggar's deniability that the show is supporting Joshley or that their kids aren't real adults.  Or that they're continuing to exploit their kids.

I'm torn on this.  I think TLC is definitely trying to make the kiddults seem more "normal" (less fundie), and it's easier for them to seem mainstream than it is for JB and Michelle - what with the golf course humping, and general creepiness.  However, I don't know if they'll be able to keep JB and M totally out of the show.  My guess is that they'll make a few small appearances, but not control any scenes.  But I bet we will both see and hear them at least a couple of times.

3 hours ago, DuggarWatch said:

The episode has not aired yet.  They built the tree house in January:

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/josh-duggar-sex-scandal-jana-duggar-filming-with-younger-kids-lumber-yard/

You can see pictures of the extravagant tree house here:

https://www.facebook.com/269181913180625/photos/pb.269181913180625.-2207520000.1457009360./861120037320140/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/269181913180625/photos/pb.269181913180625.-2207520000.1457009360./861120047320139/?type=3&theater

The Duggars just like to pretend that they live frugally.  It's just more of the deception and the difference between how they like to be perceived and what really goes on within the family. 

So it's a structure built on stilts, between trees that sit in a cluster? OK- At least a few little kids get somewhere to play. Hannah is 10 and Jackson soon to be 12? 13?  Why didn't they do this seasons ago when they had all those energy filled little boys? 

They are not bright or logical people.

I wonder what the intro to the new show will be.  Obviously there won't be "this is Jim Bob, my WOOONDERFUL husband."  I wonder if they'll still have someone speak - who will speak first?  Jessa or Jill?  Or will it just be music? 

1 minute ago, Defrauding Feminist ESQ said:

I'm torn on this.  I think TLC is definitely trying to make the kiddults seem more "normal" (less fundie), and it's easier for them to seem mainstream than it is for JB and Michelle - what with the golf course humping, and general creepiness.  However, I don't know if they'll be able to keep JB and M totally out of the show.  My guess is that they'll make a few small appearances, but not control any scenes.  But I bet we will both see and hear them at least a couple of times.

I would not be anti a show based on ADULTS only. Of course, those folks should need to meet the threshold for sustainable viewer numbers, which since none of them have any real skills or knowledge to impart, this type of show would likely be short lived. The people included should have the ability to sign their own legal and financial contracts, and no longer legally required to attend school. I do not think JB, Michelle or Josh should be involved at all. No Izzy or Spurge. No minor Duggars or Duggarettes. No one on SS.  No money to JB's coffers unless the kids decide to share with JB. No direct money conduit from TLC to JB.

At least if Anna, Jana, JD, Jill, Derick, Jessa, Ben, Jinger, Joe, Josiah and Joy had their own paychecks, they could all be free of JB's constraints. I'm all for that, as a springboard for financial and emotional independence.

This would be great for those mentioned above-

1 minute ago, Dandruff said:

That treehouse instantly reminded me of a prison sentry post.

I can just imagine Boob and j'chelle standing guard with shotguns and a pack of bloodhounds, waiting for the moment one of the kids makes a run for it.

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Snipped

At least if Anna, Jana, JD, Jill, Derick, Jessa, Ben, Jinger, Joe, Josiah and Joy had their own paychecks, they could all be free of JB's constraints. I'm all for that, as a springboard for financial and emotional independence.

DimBulb probably claims to be their "manager" ala Kris Jenner, which means he gets some of that sweet TLSleeze money 

How on earth are they going to pass this off as a ministry?

JD flies his plane.

Jessa changes Spud's diaper.

Jana teaches piano to Josie.

Jinger takes photographs.

TLC said the girls get a much needed getaway.

Riveting, and oh so spiritual.

16 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

How on earth are they going to pass this off as a ministry?

JD flies his plane. - With missionaries, or to a conference.

Jessa changes Spud's diaper. - Getting rid of filth. Gotta be pure for God

Jana teaches piano to Josie. - Hymns. Godly music

Jinger takes photographs. - Of Christians or of God's nature <cue the Psalms>

TLC said the girls get a much needed getaway. - To Bible Camp

Riveting, and oh so spiritual.

In bold, just one example of how you can bring God or something religious into absolutely everything.

On 3/2/2016 at 11:51 AM, Jenirishdancer said:

That's how it is here in Wisconsin!! Wisconsinites take their drinking quite seriously!! It's really a huge and nice (unless someone develops a problem) part of our culture. 

Wisconsinite here, I HATE this part of our "culture"(not a dig at you, but all of WI thinking drinking is "culture"). Because no, it is not nice when you know someone who has a problem. I grew up with a mother who abused alcohol. Every party, family gathering, graduation, sporting event, day at the beach, child's baseball game, dinner at a supper club, etc,etc I could count on alcohol being available and my mom not being able to resist. How could she- it was so readily available and all the adults had drinks in their hands. Now I'm married to an alcoholic. He is now 8 weeks sober!! Yay! But I can't tell you how much he struggled to get to this point. Every time I sent him to the store whether it was the grocery store or even target there was alcohol there to tempt him. He can't stop for gas without being tempted by the alcohol. Now our biggest hump will be social events. There haven't been many since Christmas but I know it will really test him at the next family gathering or whatever it is when someone inevitably offers him a drink. And if you refuse a drink here people ask what's wrong with you since you must be sick or crazy to not want a beer in WI. 

* These are just examples of people who are close to me, I could name many others who struggle with alcohol and almost always overdo it at events. 

32 minutes ago, JesSky03 said:

Wisconsinite here, I HATE this part of our "culture"(not a dig at you, but all of WI thinking drinking is "culture"). Because no, it is not nice when you know someone who has a problem. I grew up with a mother who abused alcohol. Every party, family gathering, graduation, sporting event, day at the beach, child's baseball game, dinner at a supper club, etc,etc I could count on alcohol being available and my mom not being able to resist. How could she- it was so readily available and all the adults had drinks in their hands. Now I'm married to an alcoholic. He is now 8 weeks sober!! Yay! But I can't tell you how much he struggled to get to this point. Every time I sent him to the store whether it was the grocery store or even target there was alcohol there to tempt him. He can't stop for gas without being tempted by the alcohol. Now our biggest hump will be social events. There haven't been many since Christmas but I know it will really test him at the next family gathering or whatever it is when someone inevitably offers him a drink. And if you refuse a drink here people ask what's wrong with you since you must be sick or crazy to not want a beer in WI. 

* These are just examples of people who are close to me, I could name many others who struggle with alcohol and almost always overdo it at events. 

Grew up in Connecticut- my dad was an alcoholic died at 48 of stomach cancer- never stepped foot in Wisconsin.  I moved to Wisconsin 3 years ago by myself (I'll be 40 in soon). I specified unless you have a problem with drinking.  Connecticut has no pub culture (none that I ever came across or anyone i know)  as in people of all walks of life hanging out together and socializing at the pub whether you're drinking or not. That is what I love about it here- not the drinking It's the everyone- rich, poor, young. old  getting together within communities at the bar -that is the cultural aspect that I love about Wisconsin.  If I go to the pub I  usually don't drink I just talk to people.  I have never been asked why I'm not drinking.  People have drinking problems everywhere not just here and there will always be temptations of alcohol for those with problems.  I know what you mean in your post and that is sad for sure- I just want to point out it isn't the drinking itself I like.  Not trying to sound like a jerk to you- just clarifying what I mean.   

Hang in. Living with an alcoholic is hard, and alcohol is everywhere, legal and socially acceptable. Have you tried Alanon? Hugs to you. @JesSky03

6 minutes ago, Jenirishdancer said:

Grew up in Connecticut- my dad was an alcoholic died at 48 of stomach cancer- never stepped foot in Wisconsin.  I moved to Wisconsin 3 years ago by myself (I'll be 40 in soon). I specified unless you have a problem with drinking.  Connecticut has no pub culture (none that I ever came across or anyone i know)  as in people of all walks of life hanging out together and socializing at the pub whether you're drinking or not. That is what I love about it here- not the drinking It's the everyone- rich, poor, young. old  getting together within communities at the bar -that is the cultural aspect that I love about Wisconsin.  If I go to the pub I  usually don't drink I just talk to people.  I have never been asked why I'm not drinking.  People have drinking problems everywhere not just here and there will always be temptations of alcohol for those with problems.  I know what you mean in your post and that is sad for sure- I just want to point out it isn't the drinking itself I like.  Not trying to sound like a jerk to you- just clarifying what I mean.   

I wasn't trying to shame you for liking it here, I just disagree with the idea of bars and alcohol creating a healthy culture. And when there's a bar on every corner in it's not hard to find one where you fit in. My hometown has a population of roughly 40,000 and if you google bars 117 listings come up. Sure some of them are restaurants, but around here many people go to restaurants to just sit and drink at the bar. 

ETA: And it's not the bars that really upset me. We can avoid those easy. Its the concept of not being able to go to an event without alcohol being served. I had to steal the car keys from my mom at my confirmation party so she wouldn't drive us home drunk. My confirmation party of all things. 

I watched the Super Bowl with someone who is trying to stop drinking.  It was excruciating. The ads. Peyton Manning mentioning Budweiser every time a microphone appeared in front of him. It is everywhere, all the time. Until you notice, you don't notice. 

Best wishes to you and your husband on his path to continued sobriety, @JesSky03.

Check out the Sinclair method. I've had a lot of success with that. I haven't achieved total sobriety yet, but the amount of alcohol I drink since I started has been slashed down to almost nothing. I wish it would gain popularity here in the US.

I guess I'm kinda unique.... Seeing people drink doesn't tend to bother me.... Unless they're like my co worker and keep insisting I drink after I've said no. Then it's hard. Then I have to take a step back and say, ok, I can't hang out with this person, or be at events where he might be.

I'm not THAT strong.

SMART Recovery is a great group for people trying to gain control over their own addictive behaviors. Just throwing that out there in case anyone could use a resource.

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived