IGNORED

What's the Deal with Candace Cameron Bure?

luv2laugh

On 4/8/2016 at 3:07 PM, ADoyle90815 said:

I was also one who never understood his appeal, even before he became a Fundie.

Fame and the marketing machine of the teen idol industrial complex can make anyone seem attractive. The Mike Seaver character was originally a lovable rogue type character, which a lot of girls like. The problem is that as Cameron himself became more fundie, he insisted on making the character a pill and a killjoy. It would be one thing if Cameron wanted the character to mature in a realistic way, but it's quite something else that he wanted to make Seaver into his graven fundie image.

• Upvote 7

I remember 'They're doing taxes'.I mean really why not spring for a motel?

That's what I also wonder as an adult looking back. That attic could not have been sound proof: how could Michelle NOT know that they at least weren't doing their taxes ? She would've known it was at least some form of excercise.

I mean I get that she's 3 but 3 is not synonymous with "incredibly stupid."

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Toothfairy said:

Heard Candace and Kirk were racists. Any tea on this?

We had a thread a couple of months ago on Kirk's pro-slavery radio drama, so I think there's some truth to that with him. Candace has always been better than Kirk at presenting a more mainstream front, so I think that if she does hold the same beliefs on race as her brother, we'll never know about it.

• Upvote 4

Just watched the first episode of fuller house. I think it would've been better as a one time made for TV movie or special miniseries than as a new full time TV show. It was kinda nice to have the "this where we were 20years ago and this is where we are now" type thing, but beyond that, I'm not convinced the show has any merit on its own.

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

We had a thread a couple of months ago on Kirk's pro-slavery radio drama, so I think there's some truth to that with him. Candace has always been better than Kirk at presenting a more mainstream front, so I think that if she does hold the same beliefs on race as her brother, we'll never know about it.

Doesn't he have adopted daughters who are black? Oh, wait, I'm trying to make sense of a fundie. Nevermind.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, JillyO said:

Doesn't he have adopted daughters who are black? Oh, wait, I'm trying to make sense of a fundie. Nevermind.

A black son of his was seen on 19KAC and I know at least one daughter is also black. My guess is that Cameron, like a lot of conservative whites, thinks that being personally nice to a handful of black people makes up for supporting policies (or on this case, making pro-slavery propaganda) that disenfranchises or demonizes blacks as a group.

• Upvote 9

Or maybe Kirk is of the "I like black people as long as they don't act "too black"" variety. Please don't ask me what I mean by "too black," because I haven't figured it out yet.

• Upvote 8

On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 7:51 AM, JillyO said:

I'm not racist I have black adopted kids.

• Upvote 5

On 3/3/2016 at 10:06 AM, SweetFellowshipper said:

Totally! In Fuller House there are multiple same sex kisses, Candace wears teeny tiny little outfits and plays a veterinarian, drinks, goes clubbing, makes out with and dates multiple guys...there's sex outside of marriage, masturbation jokes...

I doubt she was ever truly fundie-fundie. She's married to a hockey player and takes photos of her daughter starting school in short shorts.

And yes, that unfortunately means that I watched the whole thing.

I watched the first three episodes of Fuller House which were embarrassingly awful.  I wasn't surprised by the show's semi-racy bent at all, however, I was surprised that the everpure Candace Cameron would embrace something like this since she's a popular Christian writer, blogger and personality who is and has been very vocal about the state of today's morality.  I even visited her FB page to gauge what others were saying and while some were critical of Candace's hypocrisy, many others criticized THEM for daring to speak out.  She definitely has her willingly blind supporters.  I'd love to see Candace answer for her actions.  I mean, she's perfectly free to do as she pleases, however, she needs to quit with the holier-than-thou attitude.  I view her as just another Christian hypocrite (do as I say and not as I do).  The only conclusion I can come to is that it's all about the $$$ to some people.

Full disclosure:  I'm not criticizing Candace just because she's a Christian.  I am a Christian too, but that's why this sort of hypocrisy bugs me.  We're not all like this.

Edited by Tiger Lily
  • Upvote 5

Some fundies also have the mentality that black people can be "saved from their blackness" by being raised in a white family. It's the White Messiah Complex--and a defense, "I can't be racist! I have a black child!"

This is NOT to say that all whites who have black children are operating under this paradigm (thank God!). But it is out there, and it's one of the most insidious forms of racism. 

• Upvote 7

16 minutes ago, ScreamingIzzy said:

Some fundies also have the mentality that black people can be "saved from their blackness" by being raised in a white family. It's the White Messiah Complex--and a defense, "I can't be racist! I have a black child!"

This is NOT to say that all whites who have black children are operating under this paradigm (thank God!). But it is out there, and it's one of the most insidious forms of racism. 

I seem to remember Cameron saying that he wasn't adopting to give children a better life, but as a sort of "home missions" thing to save their souls. This would explain a lot.

Something else I've been thinking about is the power differentials involved in transracial adoptions. In the movie "Saved!" there's an Asian girl who's adopted, but her parents are black and that's played up for a joke, which bothers me. In 2016, the idea that white people can and should adopt transracially is uncontroversial, but the idea that someone from a non-white ethnic group would do the same is considered bizarre. I'm not against transracial adoptions per se, as long as the child's race/ethnicity is respected, but I have a hard time imagining that a black couple would be allowed to adopt a white child, for example.

• Upvote 10

7 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I'm not against transracial adoptions per se, as long as the child's race/ethnicity is respected, but I have a hard time imagining that a black couple would be allowed to adopt a white child, for example.

Preach! Because even in the most enlightened people, there can be a sense that a white couple can "help" a black child...but what on earth could a black couple offer a white child? 

I've been doing a lot of racial sensitivity training for my job. I was chagrined to discover that my racism gets hidden under a desire to be helpful--like people of color can't do it without my help, support, encouragement, etc. I'm still trying to figure out how to actually be an ally, instead of a "good helper".  

• Upvote 8

Black couples adopting in infant adoption are discriminated against. I think white folks have that savior mentality. It's okay for them to adopt black kids,Asian kids,Hispanic, but let the roles be reverse it's a problem. Not saying this is what every white person thinks. Just a few of them. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

The good: Candace Cameron Bure is trying to raise awareness about eating disorders by discussing her own battle with bulima.

The bad: She blames it on "living in sin" with her now-husband.

The ugly: She says she was "cured" by reading Ray Comfort's "The Way of the Master" which Kirk had given her.

http://www.eonline.com/news/762321/candace-cameron-bure-opens-up-about-past-eating-disorder-and-is-honored-to-help-others

• Upvote 5

Of course. She didn't need professional help, she just needed a Jebus book. Wow, wait till I tell all of my bulimic friends!

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

The good: Candace Cameron Bure is trying to raise awareness about eating disorders by discussing her own battle with bulima.

The ugly: She says she was "cured" by reading Ray Comfort's "The Way of the Master" which Kirk had given her.

http://www.eonline.com/news/762321/candace-cameron-bure-opens-up-about-past-eating-disorder-and-is-honored-to-help-others

Because binging and purging isn't a medical issue, it's a sin, yo. :pb_rollseyes:

• Upvote 3

On Wednesday, May 04, 2016 at 7:14 PM, Cleopatra7 said:

Yes because mental illness can be cured with prayer.

• Upvote 4

I take huge issue with how fundie and fundie-light Christians seem to categorize legitimate health issues as the product of sin. This is creating a dangerous environment with people not receiving the help they may truly need. While faith may be an important part on an individual's journey to recovery, I believe that the "Jesus is the answer" solution is undermining legitimate treatment of mental illness. My hope is that if anyone is suffering they receive the help they need for qualified medical professionals, with the additional support of friends and family (and faith if they so desire).

• Upvote 8

On 3/3/2016 at 4:06 PM, SweetFellowshipper said:

Totally! In Fuller House there are multiple same sex kisses, Candace wears teeny tiny little outfits and plays a veterinarian, drinks, goes clubbing, makes out with and dates multiple guys...there's sex outside of marriage, masturbation jokes...

I doubt she was ever truly fundie-fundie. She's married to a hockey player and takes photos of her daughter starting school in short shorts.

And yes, that unfortunately means that I watched the whole thing.

She publicy said she beats kids and she uses other training techniques similar to Pearls.

Fundie or fundie-lite or liberal, I don't care, she a monster as a mother.

• Upvote 4

On 10/05/2016 at 2:41 PM, Scottie said:

I take huge issue with how fundie and fundie-light Christians seem to categorize legitimate health issues as the product of sin. This is creating a dangerous environment with people not receiving the help they may truly need. While faith may be an important part on an individual's journey to recovery, I believe that the "Jesus is the answer" solution is undermining legitimate treatment of mental illness. My hope is that if anyone is suffering they receive the help they need for qualified medical professionals, with the additional support of friends and family (and faith if they so desire).

Reminds me of when Jesus' disciples asked him about a man who was born blind: who sinned, the man or his parents, that caused him to be born blind?  And Jesus said it was neither, then healed the guy :P

Edited by CyborgKin
'
  • Upvote 4

On 4/20/2016 at 4:03 PM, ScreamingIzzy said:

Preach! Because even in the most enlightened people, there can be a sense that a white couple can "help" a black child...but what on earth could a black couple offer a white child? 

I've been doing a lot of racial sensitivity training for my job. I was chagrined to discover that my racism gets hidden under a desire to be helpful--like people of color can't do it without my help, support, encouragement, etc. I'm still trying to figure out how to actually be an ally, instead of a "good helper".  

I'm mixed race, but benefit the crap outta white privilege. I get the liberal, well meaning, want to help white perspective, while at the same time understanding how this attitude actually does impact communities of color in reality. The best advice I have is to listen. Accept that the stories and experiences from members of that community are what's valid, not your own desires or narratives no matter how well intentioned you believe they area. Accept that beiing an ally doesn't mean having the answers or being the one to "help". I had to explain this to a well meaning white friend of mine in terms of the Ferguson situation. He kept railing on against violence  as a reaction to racism, saying how it only hurts those communities and they need to go through the proper channels for change. I kept telling him just because he as a white man, though he thought being Jewish was an equal comparison, was able to benefit by following the status quo didn't mean POC did nor did the way their experiences prompted them to react was "incorrect". He got mad and told me that at least he wanted to do something to make the situation better unlike myself. I told him being a true minority ally means not having the answers or fixing things but shutting up and actually listening and supporting what comes from the community in question.

• Upvote 1

On 2/29/2016 at 1:49 AM, Shadoewolf said:

Yeah someone says hot shot hockey player and Bure is not a name that comes to mind. From what I can find he no longer plays in the NHL but his brother does/did. Now that hubby is retired someone has to bring home the bacon even if it means being a hypocrite.

Umm sorry Shadewolf, but the Bure brothers were hotshot hockey players in the 90s.

Pro hockey players AVERAGE 5.5 in the NHL.Valeri Bure played 10 seasons in the NHL - ending in 2004.

He is worth an estimated 10 million dollars. 

• Upvote 1

Eh back in those days if it wasn't a Red Wing, Avalanche, Iginla, or Pronger I wouldnt have recognized it as important. I was a seriously crazy Wings fan in the 90s. 

• Upvote 1