IGNORED

What's the Deal with Candace Cameron Bure?

luv2laugh

I don't understand. Candace was ALLLLL about that Keeper at Home stuff and now she's out working 99.9% of the time jetting off between NY and LA each week to keep herself relevant.  Is she not a fundie anymore?

• Upvote 4

I think she wants to have it both ways, being a fundie Christian and being able to have a mainstream acting career doing "Fuller House," the View, Lifetime movies, Hallmark movies, etc.  Her Wikipedia entry indicates that her kids are either grown or in their teens, so she probably doesn't have to be around 24/7. Unlike Kirk, Candace has always been a bit more vague about her beliefs, presumably so she could get back into mainstream acting. We know she's a Pearl fan, but most people don't know what that means. Her testimony and Statement of Faith on her site don't get into specifics about what church she attends or which ministries she supports. I think she's fundie lite and not full-on Reconstructionist like Kirk, but that can mean almost anything.

• Upvote 11

3 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I think she wants to have it both ways, being a fundie Christian and being able to have a mainstream acting career 

This!  The fundie "values" espoused all over the place for women (stay at home, Have All The Babies, serve everyone all the time, etc...) are way easier to keep when you don't have any other options.  It's amusing to me that most women with other options available...take them.  

You can talk about being a keeper at home all day long, but that bidness is HARD!  Likewise, doing it well/"right" leaves very little time for talking about it, or convincing others it's a good idea.  Just sayin'

• Upvote 15

Somebody's been reading FJ..... just saw this on Google News.

http://www.designntrend.com/articles/71051/20160227/19-kids-counting-candace-bure-follows-michelle-duggar-corporal-punishment-parenting.htm

"

"Bure has been condemned for her support of the Duggars and the Michael and Debi Pearl parenting method.

Bure wrote a 2004 blog post on her parenting techniques which was recently deleted.

"The books that guideline raising our children are the Bible, 'Shepherding a Child's Heart' by Tedd Tripp and 'To Train up a Child' by Michael and Debi Pearl. My parenting tip of the day is consistency; it's key," she wrote.

The Pearls adhere to a method called "blanket training" which consists of wrapping a child in a blanket and "flicking them with a ruler or other instrument" if they attempt to crawl out. They also promote corporal punishment. The Duggar children admitted to being beaten with a rod."

• Upvote 8

Coincidentally, Zeus and I were jokingly looking for a show to hate watch earlier. (We bond in odd ways.) He put on the first episode of Fuller House.  For the most part, it's just too boring and blah to snark on.  However, the NKOTB dance scene is honestly one of the most delightfully cringe-worthy things I have ever seen.  It's jaw-dropping my bad, the epitome of second hand embarrassment and once viewed, will sear itself into your brain forever.  It's not worth watching the entire episode to see, but YouTube it.  It's amazing. 

• Upvote 8

I hoped she wouldn't be as bad as her brother, but admiring Duggar parenting techniques leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The only difference is she doesn't wear skirts and dresses 24/7.

• Upvote 1

Thought it was odd when in her mystery series she missed an actor who wasn't her husband, but in "fuller House" she goes to a bar in a cleavage-baring mini-skirt dress and does the dance sequence from Dirty Dancing with Kimmie (referenced as their old routine from middle school) complete with dead-on stares into Kimmie's eyes and a later reference to her "partner." For a minute I thought they were going to come out.

Guess hubby's too old to be much of a hockey star anymore and some body has to bring home the big bucks, and she can spin this as she is an actress and in the end it's all wholesome, but really curious how Kurt and Chelsea are taking it.

• Upvote 8

When the opportunity for $$$ came her way, Candace had to take it and has not looked back. It makes her past "keeper at home, Proverbs 31" shtick look like she's a hypocrite. Appearing on Dancing with the Stars revived her career, she got more viewers on her Hallmark Christmas movies, guest starred on the View and later snagged the full time offer, and now Fuller House reboot. So, away with the wife-at-home gig and onto jet setting from CA--> NY every single week for the View (OT but her kids are still in middle school and high school, not college yet, so yes, she is still disobeying her former "wife at home" duties). You know what, that is great and fine but she should OWN up to it and take back her patriarchal views! I want to see her open up and say she's changed her mind and she was wrong!

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 12

10 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

When the opportunity for $$$ came her way, Candace had to take it and has not looked back. It makes her past "keeper at home, Proverbs 31" shtick look like she's a hypocrite. Appearing on Dancing with the Stars revived her career, she got more viewers on her Hallmark Christmas movies, guest starred on the View and later snagged the full time offer, and now Fuller House reboot. So, away with the wife-at-home gig and onto jet setting from CA--> NY every single week for the View (OT but her kids are still in middle school and high school, not college yet, so yes, she is still disobeying her former "wife at home" duties). You know what, that is great and fine but she should OWN up to it and take back her patriarchal views! I want to see her open up and say she's changed her mind and she was wrong!

Phyllis Schafly, Michelle Duggar, et. al have all made careers out of telling women not to have careers, so it's not like Bure would be breaking new ground in that regard. It would be great if the more liberal View hosts would call Bure out on her hypocrisy and extreme beliefs, but I doubt that they're informed enough to do so in an intelligent manner. Bure also isn't a fire-breathing movement conservative like Elizabeth Hassleback, and will probably present herself as being a cheerful, genial, every women who just happens to be very religious.

• Upvote 17

Yeah someone says hot shot hockey player and Bure is not a name that comes to mind. From what I can find he no longer plays in the NHL but his brother does/did. Now that hubby is retired someone has to bring home the bacon even if it means being a hypocrite.

• Upvote 6

Candance wants both. Come on its Hollywood. The sweet inncoent christian thing doesn't work. So many people dragged her for doing fuller house because she's with Jodie who showed her breasts. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Toothfairy said:

Candance wants both. Come on its Hollywood. The sweet inncoent christian thing doesn't work. So many people dragged her for doing fuller house because she's with Jodie who showed her breasts. 

Reminds me of Phyllis Schlafly.  She set women's rights back 1,000 years and still complains about women not staying home but that didn't stop her from having a career.

• Upvote 8

On 2/28/2016 at 4:48 PM, Cleopatra7 said:

Phyllis Schafly, Michelle Duggar, et. al have all made careers out of telling women not to have careers, so it's not like Bure would be breaking new ground in that regard. It would be great if the more liberal View hosts would call Bure out on her hypocrisy and extreme beliefs, but I doubt that they're informed enough to do so in an intelligent manner. Bure also isn't a fire-breathing movement conservative like Elizabeth Hassleback, and will probably present herself as being a cheerful, genial, every women who just happens to be very religious.

It's like you read my mind. I was just about to type a response saying "It's the Phyllis Shafly Syndrome" and then I saw your response. 

I guess this sort of thing shouldn't surprise me - most of the super-religious people I know are very do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do in every other area of their lives ("The only moral abortion is my abortion" comes to mind) so I guess this is just one more way they do this. But yeah, the hypocrisy is a little jarring. 

• Upvote 7

She may be looking at it from the part of P31 that discusses how the woman surveys a field and buys it, etc. That woman is clearly industrious, and has a life outside the home- the home is just her first priority. With kids grown up and capable of living life without mom 24/7, CCB can go out and do life. That's not quite jetting off to both coasts and being gone all the time if you're still going to put home as your top priority, though. 

And the outfits don't gel with modesty, either. So while I can get the working aspect, not sure I get the other parts. 

Edited by FundieFarmer
  • Upvote 1

I am so not a Candace fan! She drives me nuts! Her husband seems like an ass too! 

• Upvote 4

On 3/2/2016 at 2:19 PM, Jenirishdancer said:

I am so not a Candace fan! She drives me nuts! Her husband seems like an ass too! 

She doesn't bug me to the level that her brother does though.  Kirk just seems so holier than thou, a kind of holier than thou-ness that came about because no one ever told him to take his attitude and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

• Upvote 7

On 3/2/2016 at 0:05 PM, FundieFarmer said:

She may be looking at it from the part of P31 that discusses how the woman surveys a field and buys it, etc. That woman is clearly industrious, and has a life outside the home- the home is just her first priority. With kids grown up and capable of living life without mom 24/7, CCB can go out and do life. That's not quite jetting off to both coasts and being gone all the time if you're still going to put home as your top priority, though. 

And the outfits don't gel with modesty, either. So while I can get the working aspect, not sure I get the other parts. 

Picking and choosing, the fundie way!

• Upvote 2

Totally! In Fuller House there are multiple same sex kisses, Candace wears teeny tiny little outfits and plays a veterinarian, drinks, goes clubbing, makes out with and dates multiple guys...there's sex outside of marriage, masturbation jokes...

I doubt she was ever truly fundie-fundie. She's married to a hockey player and takes photos of her daughter starting school in short shorts.

And yes, that unfortunately means that I watched the whole thing.

• Upvote 11

9 hours ago, 47of74 said:

She doesn't bug me to the level that her brother does though.  Kirk just seems so holier than thou, a kind of holier than thou-ness that came about because no one ever told him to take his attitude and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

Totally agree!  Kirk is stratosphere level annoying and intolerable to me!!

• Upvote 1

She was in my city a few years ago for some women' church conference thing. I guess she was a speaker. My fundie light friends posted her pictures all over FB, and they even got to meet her. My friends who attended are Baptist, so I'm going to assume that is what she considers herself to be?

Edited by KylieJenner
Can't spell.

4 hours ago, SweetFellowshipper said:

Totally! In Fuller House there are multiple same sex kisses, Candace wears teeny tiny little outfits and plays a veterinarian, drinks, goes clubbing, makes out with and dates multiple guys...there's sex outside of marriage, masturbation jokes...

I doubt she was ever truly fundie-fundie. She's married to a hockey player and takes photos of her daughter starting school in short shorts.

And yes, that unfortunately means that I watched the whole thing.

How does this work as a wholesome family show thing then? I thought that's what this was supposed to be...like a version of Full House that the people who grew up watching Full House could come back to and watch with their kids. That doesn't seem like something along the lines of Full House as I remembered it but I was young and maybe that really went over my head. 

5 hours ago, KylieJenner said:

She was in my city a few years ago for some women' church conference thing. I guess she was a speaker. My fundie light friends posted her pictures all over FB, and they even got to meet her. My friends who attended are Baptist, so I'm going to assume that is what she considers herself to be?

Was it when she was at Harvest church?

2 hours ago, FundieFarmer said:

How does this work as a wholesome family show thing then? I thought that's what this was supposed to be...like a version of Full House that the people who grew up watching Full House could come back to and watch with their kids. That doesn't seem like something along the lines of Full House as I remembered it but I was young and maybe that really went over my head. 

I think Fuller House is supposed to be "edgier" than the original Full House, perhaps akin to Modern Family, because kids today are worldlier than kids in 1989. At least, that's what I read on a news article on Yahoo news about Fuller House.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

Was it when she was at Harvest church?

I looked back at their FB posts (feeling like a creeper since this was in 2012:pb_lol:) and I'm not sure what church. It was called the Women of Joy conference, and apparently they still do these tours and Candace is the first person you see on the website. But it's very vague as to what "brand" of Christianity it is.