IGNORED

Any fundie names you actually like?

Iokaste

13 hours ago, BunnyBee said:

I fell in love with Jill and Derick's girl name they had picked out, Selah

Unfortunately my better half and I debate if it should be pronounced See-La or Say-La

I think it is Selah (Say-la), so my SO thinks we should spell it Salah or Sayla or some other variation so it isn't mispronounced but I think this takes away from its original meaning.

Opinions FJer's?

I think I heard Jill and Derick say "Say-la" on the show and my first thought was "oh god no please do not name your daughter Sailor".

I have spent far too much time in New England.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Joe, Dick, and Al are a lot different then going by Joey, Dicky, and Alby, which is more similar to the 'girly' names.  The first ones sound strong, the second sound childish.   Ann for Annalise sounds stronger and more adult then Annie.  Sue sounds more adult then Susie. 

4 minutes ago, Inthemadhouse said:

I think Joe, Dick, and Al are a lot different then going by Joey, Dicky, and Alby, which is more similar to the 'girly' names.  The first ones sound strong, the second sound childish.   Ann for Annalise sounds stronger and more adult then Annie.  Sue sounds more adult then Susie. 

So what about Amy, Holly, Jaime, Maisie, Molly, Mary, etc... Are none of those "adult"? Is a man named Cory adult enough?  Or does his penis excuse the "y" on the end of his name? Again, I think this is subtle misogyny. 

I know two women named Wendy with Ph.Ds. How did that happen? Does the Ph.D make them adult in spite of the name? 

I really like the name Isaac. It's a common enough fundie name but has special meaning for my wife and I. Because in the Bible story, Isaac means "laughter" because Sarah couldn't conceive and had him anyway. By the same token, we can't conceive naturally, but you know, want kids anyway.

Also, Hope and Faith for girls. Hope because our circumstances mean we'll have hoped for kids for years before we could have them, and Faith for getting through hard times together and getting to where we will be.

5 hours ago, tumblr said:

I have been saying it Sell-ah which doesn't appear to be even close to right... Oops. 

That's how the word is pronounced in Hebrew. 

None of the girls names you listed are nicknames for a longer name, which is what I was trying (poorly) to get at.  Susan sounds like a woman, and Susie sounds like a little girl, so why not give your daughter an option and give her a full name?

And, yes, I think Cory for a boy is overly cutesy as well. 

4 hours ago, Inthemadhouse said:

12 minutes ago, Inthemadhouse said:

None of the girls names you listed are nicknames for a longer name, which is what I was trying (poorly) to get at.  Susan sounds like a woman, and Susie sounds like a little girl, so why not give your daughter an option and give her a full name?

And, yes, I think Cory for a boy is overly cutesy as well. 

Basically, you have an issue with names that end in a y/ie sound. It is pretty clear. Cory is not a nickname for a longer name, so by your explanation, it should be okay. And are you going to inform Cory Booker that his name is "overly cutesy" or give him credit for his life accomplishments and judge him accordingly? 

I taught a boy named Riley who was the quarterback on a state championship football team. Nothing cutesy about him. I know a woman who goes by Susie who has two master's degrees and is a successful school counselor that has brought innovative new programs to her school district. 

You are, frankly, not being a "name snob" as much as you are being extremely judgmental of people based on something that they do not even control. 

Isn't being judgemental of the names that fundie children did not choose the point of this thread?  I don't care of any of those names because I find them cutesy and childish.  That is fine, I do not have to name my child that. 

This is a thread for our personal opinions on names.  There is no reason to get overly upset about it.

7 hours ago, louisa05 said:

Maisie, Molly

On a different note you listed two of my favorite names :pb_biggrin: but sadly Molly was used on one of my very first dogs (a beautiful red and white basset hound who lived to be 16, I miss her).

1 hour ago, HRM1216 said:

On a different note you listed two of my favorite names :pb_biggrin: but sadly Molly was used on one of my very first dogs (a beautiful red and white basset hound who lived to be 16, I miss her).

My all-time favorite girls name is Clara.  If I have a daughter I can't use it because the name was used on my childhood feline headship.

41 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

My all-time favorite girls name is Clara.  If I have a daughter I can't use it because the name was used on my childhood feline headship.

I have had many cats and dogs throughout my life and have used WAY too many great human names. It's going to be near impossible to name any future children haha.

On 3/1/2016 at 10:12 AM, louisa05 said:

To that I say, go explain to Nancy Pelosi, Hillary Clinton, Cory Booker, and many more, that their names mean they can't be taken seriously. Nancy, by the way, was originally a nickname for Ann. Yet somehow, Nancy Pelosi became the first female Speaker of the House in spite of that. 

Additionally, in the matter of using a nickname, the Vice President of the States goes by Joe. Apparently, no one told him that he couldn't be taken seriously and should become "Joseph". Ditto for Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, Mitch McConnell, Dick Durbin, Chuck Schumer and a whole bunch more in the current Senate where there are Jeffs, Toms, Bills, Chris's, a Johnny, Jims, Joes, Pats, etc...

And posters objecting to using nicknames rather than "formal names" have not cited any male examples. Apparently, you can be named "Jake" or "Joe" and taken seriously, but heaven forbid you be named "Tammy" because then you have a problem. 

Talk about ingrained misogyny in our culture. 

Cory Booker is male, but I get the point you're making.  (And I notice that others have made the same point.)

My feelings about kreatyve naming is thus: if the name can't be prefaced by "doctor" or "professor" or followed by "CEO", "president", "senator", or otherwise is difficult to take seriously...I hope those kids, as adults, have an option to use a middle name or obtain a legal name change as they need or want.

Let me preface this by saying that personally I prefer traditional sounding (frankly boring) names. My hypothetical children would be Sarah and Michael. But I also think that insisting that a less-ordinary name can't or shouldn't be taken seriously is a pretty difficult position to defend, because you're skirting dangerously close to classism if not outright racism. There are many studies out there that show that people with "traditionally black" sounding names are far less likely to have their resumes selected. http://www.nber.org/digest/sep03/w9873.html 

I grew up with a best friend named Crystal, who came from a working-class background. How do you think she felt as a young teenager when people constantly joked that her name sounded like a stripper's? (She's a teacher now.) Someone upthread mentioned Condoleeza Rice's name as a strong-sounding, positive example, but doesn't anyone else remember the racially-tinged mocking her name received when she was in office? 

• 3 weeks later...

I love Callie-Anna Rose... This name is very cute, but I won't give the name to a child. I'm french and it's not usual here.

I also like Faith, Damaris, Abigail , and James, Aaron or Caleb.. Between fundie american names.

But for a next child ( hypothetically!!!!) , I would name a girl Ariane and a boy, Joaquim.

In France, fundie name are Roman Catholic, like Espérance (mean Hope), Céleste, Constance, or Ange, Chrétien, Sauveur......

I don't have have a problem with shortend versions of names being used as full names in fact I believe if you don't intend to use the full version of the name don't put it on their birth certificate, my name is Debbie after Debbie Harry I hate the name Deborah and got annoyed at people ie teachers asumming Deborah was my name. My Dad was named John after his grand father but his parents always used the Gaelic version of his name Ian her didn't know his real name was John until he went to school, thats why I would only put the name intend to call my child by on the birth certificate. 

On 2/29/2016 at 9:57 PM, BunnyBee said:

I fell in love with Jill and Derick's girl name they had picked out, Selah

Unfortunately my better half and I debate if it should be pronounced See-La or Say-La

I think it is Selah (Say-la), so my SO thinks we should spell it Salah or Sayla or some other variation so it isn't mispronounced but I think this takes away from its original meaning.

Opinions FJer's?

Salah is a really un-intuitive way to spell something you want pronounced say-la as it looks like it should be sah-lah. Also, Salah is a masculine Arabic name so that might get confusing.

Like others, I really like a lot of the classic Biblical names that fundies use, but am not a fan of kreeaytiv spellings or random words as names (Warden?). I actually think that on the whole fundies do slightly better than the general population - I work at a medium sized university and look at lists of students' names all day long and get some really interesting ones! One of my biggest WTFs recently was Jackqueline though the spelling isn't even that off. Maybe it was because the dad is Jack, or they wanted Jack to be the nickname, but it just looks so bizarre and redundant. I also had a Zaire recently, which...well, while I don't love the implications of naming a kid Israel, I think Zaire is worse. And if it's a reference to the river, using an African spelling might have been better. The parents weren't from/associated with the former country, either.

The fundie name misses really fail hard, though (Spurgeon), especially when there's such a clear message given by the names of a set of siblings (looking at DPIAT). Heistheway comes back around to being sort of delightful to me in its craziness, although I feel bad that there is a real human being with that unfortunate name.

I'm glad I finally read through this, it was fun. 

We have friends with a Selah (Say-luh) and we used to know a Selah (seel-uh). I prefer the first, I think it's beautiful. 

Most recent baby was a fun naming experience. We loved a name that is an old-fashioned nickname. For the sake of example, let's say Lottie for Charlotte. Planned to always use Lottie, but I wanted Charlotte on the birth certificate because Lottie doesn't seem like a "real" first name to me, but husband hates Charlotte and was concerned she'd be called Charlie or Char. So we had to scrap it. I can see where we were both coming from and neither of us was right or wrong.

I don't get the hate on the last name as first name trend. My boys are named that way, with traditional (and sentimental family) names for middle names. I could not love their names more! My girls are just named what we thought were beautiful names that flow well. One is from a book and we are regularly complimented on it by people familiar with the story. 

Naming children is one of my favorite and most nerve-wracking things about parenting. 

I like most of the virtue names: Patience, Prudence, Faith, Joy, Hope, Charity, Verity, Grace, etc.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head that I don't like is Chastity. It seems weird to me to name a child something related to sex, and it lends itself to too much irony depending on her future choices.

All the others are pretty to me, though. I'm not sure I'd actually name a child that (perhaps just as a middle name) because it might make them feel they have too much to live up to or - again - irony if they don't demonstrate that virtue perfectly, but I can definitely appreciate them as names.

2 hours ago, Eponine said:

Salah is a really un-intuitive way to spell something you want pronounced say-la as it looks like it should be sah-lah. Also, Salah is a masculine Arabic name so that might get confusing.

Like others, I really like a lot of the classic Biblical names that fundies use, but am not a fan of kreeaytiv spellings or random words as names (Warden?). I actually think that on the whole fundies do slightly better than the general population - I work at a medium sized university and look at lists of students' names all day long and get some really interesting ones! One of my biggest WTFs recently was Jackqueline though the spelling isn't even that off. Maybe it was because the dad is Jack, or they wanted Jack to be the nickname, but it just looks so bizarre and redundant. I also had a Zaire recently, which...well, while I don't love the implications of naming a kid Israel, I think Zaire is worse. And if it's a reference to the river, using an African spelling might have been better. The parents weren't from/associated with the former country, either.

The fundie name misses really fail hard, though (Spurgeon), especially when there's such a clear message given by the names of a set of siblings (looking at DPIAT). Heistheway comes back around to being sort of delightful to me in its craziness, although I feel bad that there is a real human being with that unfortunate name.

I'm just waiting for the announcement of the upcoming birth of Democratic Kampuchea Rebecca Dillard.

I like Geneva Constance's name.  I know BRADRICK gets a lotta flack for Geneva Convention but I think it sounds very classic. 

There are a lot of fundie names I love just for the WTFuckery... Heistheway?  Kressant?  Vision O'YHWH?  Kendalyn?  Kerzdenn? 

Seriously, I get so much laughter from the weird-ass names some fundies use...

My daughter has a different name.  It's actually used more for boys, I just spelled it a bit more feminine.  I do like Ginger, the correct spelling.  I like Jessa as well.  Weird names don't really bother me all that much, unless it's something really odd (to me) like Maranatha.  Mara is pretty, just not the 'natha' part.

19 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

I like Geneva Constance's name.  I know BRADRICK gets a lotta flack for Geneva Convention but I think it sounds very classic. 

I like that name too. :pb_redface:

Sara/Sarah is a family name on my mother's side.  My sister is the 4th Sarah in the line that I know of, might be some further back but I don't know.

Mary might have made the cut, my mother in law (and step mother in law) and an aunt were all named Mary.

Philip is a family name on my side of the family, Joseph is on my husbands  I could live with either of these names

46 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

I like that name too. :pb_redface:

Make it three! :D

Especially Constance /Konstanze is just a classic. And I´m with @19 cats and counting, Clara /Klara is a very pretty name that goes with everything.

I like the puristic, goes-with-everything names: Johanna (<- big fan of Johanna!), Martha, Anna, Daniel, Michael, Anthony, Mary /Marie/Maria, Elizabeth, Sophie /Sophia.  

I do like the combination of Joy-Anna

Archived