IGNORED

Any fundie names you actually like?

Iokaste

Jana Duggar's name annoys me, but only because they aren't pronouncing it in the way I am used to. 

As a European name, the /J/ is pronounced like in yoghurt, not in jam. /j/ and not /ʤ/

There are lots of pretty names! I like Meredith. I like Joy. Any of the standard Biblical boy names - David, Nathan, Joseph etc are all fine

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ladyamylynn said:

I like some of the Morton names- Dorothy and Martha are both classically pretty.

Dorothy is/was my middle name.  3rd generation.  I've always hated it and dropped it as fast as I could. 

I also Like Geneva Constance.  

I personally think the virtue-type names are pretty but I'm told that they are hard to live up to.  My friend Grace was teased whenever she tripped and her sister Hope was snarked at if she was ever less than optimistic.  Missionary kids.

On 3/1/2016 at 11:28 PM, Inthemadhouse said:

None of the girls names you listed are nicknames for a longer name, which is what I was trying (poorly) to get at.  Susan sounds like a woman, and Susie sounds like a little girl, so why not give your daughter an option and give her a full name?

And, yes, I think Cory for a boy is overly cutesy as well. 

I'd agree, actually, but maybe because these names are so common now the associations will change. 

1 minute ago, Palimpsest said:

Dorothy is/was my middle name.  3rd generation.  I've always hated it and dropped it as fast as I could. 

I personally think the virtue-type names are pretty but I'm told that they are hard to live up to.  My friend Grace was teased whenever she tripped and her sister Hope was snarked at if she was ever less than optimistic.  Missionary kids.

I love Geneva Constance and think it sounds so pretty, but it does make me think of the city in Switzerland and the lake at the bottom of Germany, which is the problem with place names

14 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

You just reminded me of Terry Pratchett :D :

http://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Bestiality_Carter

(And I think Dorothy is a adorably british name :my_blush:, like raspberry pie and daffodill flowers)

I love fusty old names, it's true. I know a fantastic older lady named Eugenia and would absolutely be tempted to inflict it on a little girl. 

The name Dorothy got me out of a sticky situation when first introduced to Mr.P's terrifying-aunt-the-NUN.  She fixed me with a gimlet eye on hearing my name and said coldly, "but that is not a saint's name."  I squeaked, "my second name is Dorothy!" and she calmed down.

39 minutes ago, ladyamylynn said:

I love fusty old names, it's true. I know a fantastic older lady named Eugenia and would absolutely be tempted to inflict it on a little girl. 

I have a soft spot for all this old english names: Annabel and Agatha, Hortense, Rosamond, Poppy, Lavinia, Lettie and Marigold, Berenice and Tuppence. If I would be british, I would absolutely  have a Tuppence by now! :pb_smile:

Just now, Anny Nym said:

I have a soft spot for all this old english names: Annabel and Agatha, Hortense, Rosamond, Poppy, Lavinia, Lettie and Marigold, Berenice and Tuppence. If I would be british, I would absolutely  have a Tuppence by now! :pb_smile:

And Honoria!

Just now, Palimpsest said:

The name Dorothy got me out of a sticky situation when first introduced to Mr.P's terrifying-aunt-the-NUN.  She fixed me with a gimlet eye on hearing my name and said coldly, "but that is not a saint's name."  I squeaked, "my second name is Dorothy!" and she calmed down.

:D:D:D

See, it is a very practical name.

With one of my brothers, my parents had to bring the book of the author they named him after to the priest who baptized us as babies to prove him it is a real name and not "just the nickname". Apparently they had a heated argument which went something this way: Dad: "... we choose Leo Luzian, after..:", Priest: " Leopold it is then, what a nice old name, like our countrie´s patron!" Dad: " No, Leo, it´s the full first name." - Priest: " You can call little Leopold as you like at home..."....

14 minutes ago, Anny Nym said:

With one of my brothers, my parents had to bring the book of the author they named him after to the priest who baptized us as babies to prove him it is a real name and not "just the nickname". Apparently they had a heated argument which went something this way: Dad: "... we choose Leo Luzian, after..:", Priest: " Leopold it is then, what a nice old name, like our countrie´s patron!" Dad: " No, Leo, it´s the full first name." - Priest: " You can call little Leopold as you like at home..."....

:pb_lol::pb_lol::pb_lol:

29 minutes ago, Anny Nym said:

Lettie is a nickname for Leticia - one of my Great-grandmother's names.  It is pretty.

Tuppence is a nickname for Prudence - another Great-grandmother's name.  I'm really glad I escaped that one.  Prudent is not one of my defining characteristics. :)

8 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

:pb_lol::pb_lol::pb_lol:

Lettie is a nickname for Leticia - one of my Great-grandmother's names.  It is pretty.

Tuppence is a nickname for Prudence - another Great-grandmother's name.  I'm really glad I escaped that one.  Prudent is not one of my defining characteristics. :)

Oh, didn´t know that! Leticia is pretty:)

Tuppence doesn´t make me think of prudent though, but of a tailored costume and bright red lipstick in the english countryside :D  ... Ah, I am very visual today^^!

(My maternal great-grandmother was a Josephine. I like Josephine.The german and the english version both. Except the austrian nickname for all Josephines or Josephas is ... Pepperl or Peppi. Sooo, yeah... no.:D (sorry, great-grandma) )

8 minutes ago, Anny Nym said:

Oh, didn´t know that! Leticia is pretty:)

Tuppence doesn´t make me think of prudent though, but of a tailored costume and bright red lipstick in the english countryside :D  ... Ah, I am very visual today^^!

(My maternal great-grandmother was a Josephine. I like Josephine.The german and the english version both. Except the austrian nickname for all Josephines or Josephas is ... Pepperl or Peppi. Sooo, yeah... no.:D (sorry, great-grandma) )

Oh, dear.  Peppi!

Tuppence also = two pence (pennies).  Agatha Christie had a detective called Prudence/Tuppence. :)

4 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Oh, dear.  Peppi!

Tuppence also = two pence (pennies).  Agatha Christie had a detective called Prudence/Tuppence. :)

Oh, you mean the Tommy & Tuppence series! :) I have the Postern of Fate as english audiobook. Love the storyline (solving mysteries from the long gone past), it´s however so complex, I have probably listened to it 4-5 times and I still couldn´t figure out who the murderer was, lol.

If we had twin girls (which we didn't and won't) I might have been tempted to name them Ruby and Pearl, after grandmothers on his side and mine......

8 minutes ago, Anny Nym said:

Oh, you mean the Tommy & Tuppence series! :) I have the Postern of Fate as english audiobook. Love the storyline (solving mysteries from the long gone past), it´s however so complex, I have probably listened to it 4-5 times and I still couldn´t figure out who the murderer was, lol.

You need to toddle on over to Worldly Attractions/ Quiverful of Words (sorry technical issues are messing with a direct link) and look at the Golden Age Detective thread.  I mentioned Postern of Fate there. :)

1 hour ago, Anny Nym said:

I love the names Annabel, Rosamond (though I think I prefer Rosalind, since it's associated with Rosalind Franklin and Rosalind Russell), and Marigold. I also really like the names Vivian, Violet, and Isobel. I think my future female progeny are all going to sound like Downton Abbey characters!

8 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

You need to toddle on over to Worldly Attractions/ Quiverful of Words (sorry technical issues are messing with a direct link) and look at the Golden Age Detective thread.  I mentioned Postern of Fate there. :)

I will! I didn´t see this thread, I really need to travel more often in the other realms of FJ! :D

3 hours ago, seraaa said:

I'd agree, actually, but maybe because these names are so common now the associations will change. 

I love Geneva Constance and think it sounds so pretty, but it does make me think of the city in Switzerland and the lake at the bottom of Germany, which is the problem with place names

Geneva is the closest city to my town, so that's what I associate it with.

Around here, old fashioned names are hot again.  When I've gone places with a friends kids (all under 7), they talk about Ruth and Margret and Louise and Anne. 

12 hours ago, Inthemadhouse said:

Around here, old fashioned names are hot again.  When I've gone places with a friends kids (all under 7), they talk about Ruth and Margret and Louise and Anne. 

My nieces have very old fashioned names (they're 3.5 and 1.5).  Older niece's name is a Civil War era name and younger niece's name peaked in the Depression.

(Younger niece's name is very close to the name/title of a song and I'm forever singing the song to her.  Payback for everyone singing the popular song with my name in it).

23 hours ago, seraaa said:

I think Bradrick! named her after the Geneva Bible.

On 3/23/2016 at 5:43 PM, Anny Nym said:

The priest who baptised my mom insisted on Germanizing all the babies' names. Mom's name is (and birth certificate reads) Jane, but she was christened "Johannah." Maybe he wanted it to match her family name, Wunderlich. According to stories, Grandma fumed, but didn't argue with him.

And Geneva was quite a center for early protestantism (Calvinism, I believe). So that fits.

Archived