Part 6: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21558

Part 7: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=21962

Part 8: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=22725

Part 9: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=24170

Part 10: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=25198

Part 11: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=25811

Part 12: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=26219&start=20#p957780

Part 13: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=26435

Part 14: http://www.freejinger.org/topic/24305-duggars-by-the-dozen-general-discussion-14/?page=1

Part 15:

Part 16;

• Coconut Flan pinned this topic
  • Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, I didn't know where to put this, so:

I always wonder why the Duggars assume that when other people talk about dating they just want to have fun and are not serious at all. That is such a lie.

All my life I have only met one person who had one 9 month relationship just for fun all the way knowing that this is going nowhere.

All the others only are dating when they thought this could be serious and maybe they are going to marry that person one day. They wouldn't waste their time with someone when they know it has no future. Really, you could spend your valuable time in a better way. They all do "dating with a purpose" without naming it that way.

Why are the Duggars thinking it's not serious? They barely have contact with the outside world. The only difference I can see between dating in the outside world and Duggar-dating is the physical aspect. But even then the Duggars probably think that you have sex as soon as you are alone for the first time or something, wrong wrong wrong!!!

4 hours ago, vaticanmember said:

Why are the Duggars thinking it's not serious?

Because, to them, if it's serious, you let both families get up in your business and keep you from getting to know the person in a way that you would if you were allowed to be alone. Because God forbid they be alone for 5 minutes, or they might try to have sex! Even though supposedly they teach self-control from a very young age...and grown adults supposedly need to text through a group iMessage to make sure that they're being held accountable.

It's just a control and ego thing. They can pretend to be all godly about dating, but it's all about retaining control over adult children and, in this case, a way for JB and M to make themselves relevant and get screen time.  I'm surprised they pretend to care as much about the boys' virginity as the girls, and I wonder how much of that is for the show. Honestly, most of this shit is probably for the show and I wouldn't be surprised if other fundie kids generally go on group dates with people their own age and by tacit agreement of all, get actual alone time instead of having to watch their parents make out and dry hump on their dates.  (And, I'd bet lots of them have unmonitored phones, either because their parents are not insane or they got burner phones and use them for dating and other stuff.  People will always find a way around this level of privacy invasion.) In any event, something tells me that by the time the Jennifer, Jordyn and Josie start courting, the cameras will be long gone and JB and M won't really care. They sure as shit won't be tagging along.  

Well, we've seen pictures of the kidults out w/the Bates kidults, that was group dating.

I figure this is more of that Stuff the Duggars Lie About to their Kids to keep them from rebelling.  Like telling the kids that other people shove their kids out the door the minute they turn 18.  Every once in awhile on the show we would hear some outlandish factoid that the Duggar offspring learned from the folks that painted the world as a cruel, cold place.  Brainwashing pure and simple.  Don't forget that Ma and Pa Duggar dated back in the day so they know the truth.

2 minutes ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

Every once in awhile on the show we would hear some outlandish factoid that the Duggar offspring learned from the folks that painted the world as a cruel, cold place.  Brainwashing pure and simple.  Don't forget that Ma and Pa Duggar dated back in the day so they know the truth.

Of course. It's like when they talk about rock music leading to lots of disease, drug addiction, etc. It's got enough "truth" to make the inescapable lies believable (if you're not listening too closely, that is).

We should blame people like Josh Harris for the perpetual christian courtship vs dating bullshit. When people decided courtship should be holier (and it wasn't the Duggars), one of the differences spouted everywhere was that courtship is with "the goal of getting married" and dating - well that's for those heathens who want to sleep around.

Most if not all of the info about it when I was a teenager came from the US - people attempted to culture-translate it because some of those differences didn't make sense to us. We got the impression from that that teenagers in the US dated multiple people at once, rarely went exclusive with anyone, and would change who they were dating very frequently for no reason other than they wanted to try someone else out. I was always confused because that never sounded like the life the US novel characters lead, but asking questions or disagreeing was not worth it.

I guess Cinder-Jana and Jinger have to babysit their siblings the first weekend in April. Jim Boob & Michelle are off to talk about their godly marriage again:

FtRock.JPG

Well, this of kind of off-topic but I read an interesting article in the LA Times today.  Basically it said that scientists have found that most people have 2% Neanderthal DNA in their genome.  Apparently Neanderthal's and ancient humans got to know each other pretty well about 40,000-50,000 years ago. If I am understanding this correctly, and perhaps I am not, the possibility exists that Jim Bob, Michelle and their children may have this 2% DNA as do a lot of other people. If they believe man to have arrived on this earth 6000 years ago, how did they get this 2% Neanderthal DNA?

I guess Jana didn't dye her hair or get highlights after all (or the lighting did something funny). But she is totally more attractive than her sisters or even the Bates girls

1 hour ago, Becket70 said:

Well, this of kind of off-topic but I read an interesting article in the LA Times today.  Basically it said that scientists have found that most people have 2% Neanderthal DNA in their genome.  Apparently Neanderthal's and ancient humans got to know each other pretty well about 40,000-50,000 years ago. If I am understanding this correctly, and perhaps I am not, the possibility exists that Jim Bob, Michelle and their children may have this 2% DNA as do a lot of other people. If they believe man to have arrived on this earth 6000 years ago, how did they get this 2% Neanderthal DNA?

I had my DNA done by 23andMe. I am 2.3% Neanderthal. If the Duggars ever had this done, they would die of shock.

4 minutes ago, ksgranola1 said:

I had my DNA done by 23andMe. I am 2.3% Neanderthal. If the Duggars ever had this done, they would die of shock.

They Wouldn't risk doing anything that would question their beliefs.

3 hours ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Of course. It's like when they talk about rock music leading to lots of disease, drug addiction, etc. It's got enough "truth" to make the inescapable lies believable (if you're not listening too closely, that is).

I'm old enough to remember when rock music was a plot dreamed up by communists to take over the western world. 

Also the hidden messages (backward masking?) urging young people to try drugs, worship satan and even commit suicide. *sigh*. So tiresome.

I'm presuming the kids don't know about neanderthals. or fossils.  or have been told that was a lie made up by the anti-christian forces. They wouldn't believe any testing results, not for a second. wouldn't allow it to happen. I'm guessing they don't spend a lot of school time on dna as it is. God made them in his image, what else do they need to know? Everything they believe and know about the beginning of humans is printed in the bible.

It seems like the older girls at least, when discussing their courting rituals, think that the rest of the world just has a series of one night stands. And that girls spend most of their time with their heart broken from bad dating experiences. It's just lies they've been fed to get them to agree to the weird courtship stuff they do. Honestly their method feels a lot more like arranged marriages than anything. Everything starts with the parents discussing if the kids will date, then the father of the son telling him to ask the girls dad if they can court. And if that courtship fails it's a pretty big deal.  But their implications about the secular world are pretty insulting even if the girls have no other frame of reference than what jb and m tell them.

10 hours ago, Becket70 said:

God did it, duh

I find i odd Duggar lovers see no issue with young adult Fundies at home who have no real jobs. I feel if they were more secular and liberal they would call them lazy. There is fine line between getting kicked out at 18 and staying home until 28-30ish. I have no issue with young adults at home as I was one, but these have no control over their future.

American dating culture was/is a bit of a mystery to me.

Where I was from young people met school, clubs, church and so on. If two were attracted to each other, the boy would try to get the girl by herself and ask her to be his special friend. From that time on they would hang out together, go for walks, visit each others friends and family members. Weekends would be spend with the couple's parents alternately. They would sleep over but not in the same room. Parents would discretely go to bed early so the couple would have some alone time. Apart from that,  alone time was walks outdoors or baby sitting together. People typically had no money to eat out regularly. Kissing was fine, as long as there was no sex. But nobody checked on this. It was the couple's own resonsibility.

After a few years they would get engaged, buy a house, and move in on their wedding night.

Dating in contrast seems strangely impersonal. How are you supposed to get to know each other if you only meet in public places where you are all dressed up and on your best behavior? And why would you go out with a guy/ girl whom you know very little about?

Courtship is even worse. It is like dating only your family is peeking over your shoulder. Gives you even less chance to be natural and grow comfortable with being together.

I remember when Josh Harris' book was translated into my native language and I felt like he introduced a problem we did not have and gave a solution that was even worse.

It IS an arranged marriage. JB takes a simple puppy-love crush & commits his daughters to a lifetime of marriage that I'm sure they will tire of once they realized this spouse is a real jerk or someone they would have thrown over if they had been allowed to have normal dating rituals. I'm pretty sure that whole "I want to name him Spergeun." kerfuffle changed Jessa' s vision of her dream man.

DID Y'AL SEE THIS?! Maybe I'm just a little late to the party. I think this is BIG NEWS!!

Duggar Family News: Life is not all pickles and hairspray.

Like This PagePage Liked · 13 hrs ·

"Lawson went on to explain more about their separation from Gothard. He says ATI and IBLP are no longer affiliated with Gothard. I'll believe that when I hear they are no longer using Gothard's video seminars. You know the ones the Duggars used to show in their home-church or when they burn those awful victim blaming character books. By the way, Gothard is still promoting ATI homeschooling material...s on his website. http://billgothard.com/

You also need to tell Gothard to stop posting photos of past IBLP and ATI events to promote himself. He lost that right with the job. Maybe we'll believe what the Bates are saying if they have Bill removed from the IBLP page. http://iblp.org/about-iblp/iblp-history/bill-gothard He's still there in all his glory. C'mon Gil and Dr. Stephen, you're still on the board. Clean up the Gothard slime if you want to rebuild the business. If you don't, then you are still following the man."

And there's FB notes from Chad & Erin

Duggar Family News: Life is not all pickles and hairspray.

February 19 at 2:10pm ·

"Erin Paine is denying any involvement with Gothard, ATI and possibly IBLP. This is weird since last I looked her father (Gil Bates) and her husband's father (Dr. Stephen Paine) are both on the board of directors at IBLP. Both are also being sued by Gothard's victims.

The Duggars, Bates and Paines have long been involved in IBLP. Have they all given the cult the boot? I guess we'll see if they attend the ATI homeschooling conference in April. They attend that every year."

T...hanks to all who sent me this info. smile emoticon

"*Update: Erin posted that she is "speaking solely for Chad and I. Each family makes their own decisions. But for us, we do not support or encourage." I wonder what caused the break. Most likely the scandals involving Gothard and maybe their growing awareness of how the cult breeds abuse towards women and girls."

4 hours ago, roddma said:

I find i odd Duggar lovers see no issue with young adult Fundies at home who have no real jobs. I feel if they were more secular and liberal they would call them lazy. There is fine line between getting kicked out at 18 and staying home until 28-30ish. I have no issue with young adults at home as I was one, but these have no control over their future.

I realize that this is horribly morbid, but what if JB and M died on one of these trips? What would become of all the children living at home? How much life insurance can that man possibly have? (Please tell me life insurance is something they believe in!) I doubt they have the skills needed to really keep JB's businesses or whatever afloat for too long.  Would the adults have to get real jobs? How?  Would the girls just marry anyone to survive?  This whole system just creates so many vulnerable people. 

And, yes, I'd love to omit the Duggar part get the conservative folks' thoughts on a family that has 19 children; one of the oldest was caught molesting the daughters; no one reported it; he doesn't work; neither of the two daughters who are married work or have husbands who really work, but they refuse to use birth control and plan to have as many kids as they can; and none of the kids over 18 currently work or have ever had a job or are in school - most of them just sit at home all day.

And while I know that the Duggars insist they have no debt and take no public funds, and that's why they get a pass on this crap, how long do they realistically think that will continue? If each of the kids marries an equally uneducated and careerless adult, and has an average of 10 kids they do not educate, that's nearly 200 uneducated and unemployable Duggars in the Spurgeon/Izzy generation. (Not counting the adults.) How are these people supposed to survive?  Life isn't going to require less education or skill in the next 20 years. 

When I was a girl if you lived at home w/o gainful employment, you were a "moocher." But JB claims each kid has a "place" in his Real Estate Kingdom, where they are happily employed. With the Gothard teachings falling down fast, I wonder how much longer they will adhere to ATI. It sounds like the Bates kiddults are bailing out.

THOSE IN CHARGE AT FREE JINGER...

This Gothard mess seems to be coming to a head. Didn't know where to put this, but maybe it should have it's own thread?

• choralcrusader8613 locked, unlocked and locked this topic
  • choralcrusader8613 unpinned this topic

Archived