IGNORED

Life giving linen

Anonymousguest

Nancy from above rubies posted something today about a woman named Melanie Ellison who has a doula business, as well as a website called life giving linen http://www.lifegivinglinen.com/

She said that linen gives of healing energy, where cotton, rayon and silk do not. Such a strange point of view. The woman claims to follow the Torah, but is Christian. From her about us page:

As a 25-year-old single young woman, I am happy to be able to improve the quality of people's lives, and thus redeem the time until my future (Bible-believing, homeschool-advocating, classical-music-appreciating) husband comes along. 

She also wrote a book a few years ago called Chucking College: Achieving success without corruption. Interview here:

http://www.homeschooledauthors.com/2013/07/interview-with-melanie-ellison.html?m=1

I couldn't find anything else about her or her family.

(Posting from my phone, sorry about typos and formatting issues!)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except is from the Bible...? I dunno, seems new agey to me. And wool and linen cancel each other out because their energies run opposite directions,  thus God's reasoning for not mixing fabrics

Well at least it's more creative than essential oils.....

Okay, this is totally New Age to me... Pretty much seems the exact same concept of "energies" from inanimate objects to me.

This is the second time I have encountered New Age ideas being embraced by a Christian... This clearly is a thing?! I guess...?

Well at least it's more creative than essential oils.....

Come now. Those can help cure cancer. :P

I'm picking up good vibrations.... 

or something.  

I'm always amused and saddened when people turn their Christianity into superstition....

Linen? The material that wrinkles when you look at it and is made for people who never sit down? Linen makes me annoyed. So much for promoting mental health... :pb_razz:

Why is "burial cloth" a selling point for a "life giving" linen? I suppose because the Messiah resurrected, that implies that this is a good thing. But... "burial cloth", though. :Invisanoes:

According to "The Dirt on Clean" by Katherine Ashenburg, which is a history of the concept of cleanliness, during the medieval and early modern period of Europe, it was believed that simply wearing a linen shirt made one clean (this is probably why Muslims and East Asians who came in contact with Europeans during this time were appalled by their dirtiness). Maybe this "lifegiving linen" thing is a continuation of this earlier concept.

In her defense, good linen sheets are wonderful. Cool in summer, warm in winter, the perfect weight. Linen clothing is a PITA, wrinkly, designed for very thin women with servants abomination unto the Lord. It says so right in Leviticus. 

Did you see the section on linen menstrual pads?

http://www.lifegivinglinen.com/pleasant-pads.html

Apparently an FDA ruling interferes with selling DIY pads:

*Due to the FDA ruling that cloth menstrual pads are "medical devices," we are no longer selling Pleasant Pads for human use.  Pleasant Pads are now for poodles only.

Your (poodle's) body is worth the investment in Pleasant Pads.

No federal agency would catch on to that dodge... :pb_rollseyes:

Don't get me wrong, I love linen as a fabric -- long-lasting, soft feeling, and pretty to look at. 

But the claims being made on this site are very woo woo. Not to mention the attempt to circumvent the FDA as @SusanAtTheLastBattle already mentioned. Between these pads and the vagina detox herb balls a few weeks ago... :pb_eek:

31 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Did you see that she sells linen TP?  Yep, linen toilet paper!

That is just gross. 

Did you know linen is scientifically proven to have healing energy. And I always thought findies hated science.

On a related note I bought flour sack cloths for my kitchen today and I freaking love them. Sadly, they are cotton though.

My Poodle is male. I think it would emasculate him to put him in a pad. I do want him to be happy though, I just am not sure what to do.

Oh! There's a fun bonus video from cj mahaney under modesty. Dh would only let me listen to a few minutes, lol. It left him thinking he was the only guy walking around not in a constant state of lust :D

We used to buy raw milk from a farmer with the proviso that we were buying "pet milk" -- as in, buying it for our pets' consumption. It was the only legal way to get it at the time.

The mixing of heavy woo and fundies is always a surprise to me. It fits into their dislike of science but very often verges into New Age stuff which you would think would be a big no-no.

Alfred on Discovering Grace was posting about "life-giving linens" a couple of weeks ago. He was using it to defend Gothard's crazy rules. And he got called out on it being new age. 

11 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Did you see that she sells linen TP?  Yep, linen toilet paper!

I'd say that you gotta be sh-----g me, but I'm far too, ah, refined---right!

10 hours ago, Catey said:

My Poodle is male. I think it would emasculate him to put him in a pad. I do want him to be happy though, I just am not sure what to do.

If you didn't have him "fixed" with Neuticles, I am very impressed!!  ( miss my poodle, but she was every inch the lady)

I bought a pair of linen sheets a few years ago because I just wanted to see what the fuss was all about. I liked them up until the day I got shingles on my right leg (a tiny quarter-sized patch). OMG! Those linen sheets had to come off the bed because while they were smooth, they weren't smooth enough. I ended up getting a set of fine woven cotton sheets to sleep on and wore a pair of fine woven cotton sheeting capris to bed for the several weeks I was afflicted.  (For the record, I didn't realize I had shingles and it was too late for anything beyond capsaicin cream to kill the pain when I did go. Helpful Hint:  If you get a rash and it hurts, go see a doctor. Otherwise it will REALLY hurt. Trust me on it.)

ObTopic:  This young woman has found herself a niche market. It's doubtful her customers would ever latch on to my linen sheet seller, nor would my linen sheet seller be caught dead offering fitted sheets and sheets with a flat fell seam down the middle.

Archived