IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel- Lucky Number 13

keen23

1 hour ago, Tiny Bubbles said:

Will Zika-carrying mosquitos show up in the southern US states during the summer months ?  

<snip>

I live in Louisiana and they're predicting them here by the summer.  

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, patsymae said:

Not about mosquitos, but reading Derricks "trial" post I was struck by how he talks about getting through it knowing that God is behind them and they are in the service of the true church (I paraphrase) yada, yada, yada. So I'm thinking that their recent "trials" may have something to do with the locals telling them to piss off. Like the priest not appreciating suffering people being accosted WHILE PRAYING IN CHURCH. Or maybe evil Catholic nuns who run a children's home telling them that having the children's routine interrupted so that non-Spanish speaking Anglos can hand out one crayon at a time while taking photos is not welcome. Or a local health clinic--probably also staffed by evil Catholics--declining to send their clients to Jill for nutrition "education" (BTW, what are the odds that the Dullards even know anything about local dietary customs or food availability)

just a guess, but it read to me like they are feeling martyrish and unappreciated.

I rarely read the Dillard blog. As a Catholic, it makes me mad that they are using Catholic charities to push their brand of religion. (I know they say they aren't called to convert Catholic..but give me a break they sure do look down their nose at us!)

At the end of the blog there is this little testemony

At another home we visited, 15-year-old Jason came to the door where we talked for a while, then invited him to come to the church where we could give him some items he needed. His mom is bedridden and he usually keeps to himself, but since we first met him, he has come around more and we are hoping to continue getting to know him as well as the other young men in the area.

Are Derick and Jill that dimwitted that they think "Jason" is coming around to get saved? They have stuff he needs, he is taking care of a bedridden mom, he's 15 he needs to survive and helping his family by getting free stuff from the preaching anglos. "Jason" is the smart one in this story!

@CreationMuseumSeasonPass I wouldn't worry about Dengue.  My husband's home town has a Dengue hospital and he only knows one or two people who have ever gotten it. Dengue has already spread to other areas of the US, and it's not talked about since it's still rare. 

I'm more surprised that people call them "mozzies". I've never heard that term in the GWN.

I'm also noticing that Derick is starting to look a lot like Castaway. Maybe he's growing that monstrosity as a pity beard to make it look like they're roughing it in the wild / pitching tents made of banana leaves and surviving off of swamp water.

1 hour ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Are Derick and Jill that dimwitted that they think "Jason" is coming around to get saved? They have stuff he needs, he is taking care of a bedridden mom, he's 15 he needs to survive and helping his family by getting free stuff from the preaching anglos. 

Of course, Derick and Jill never say what "items" they are giving to the kid and his family.  Could be just a bunch of Gothard-type religious tracts.  And, who is providing the free "items" – the church or the Dillards?  Looks like Jill and Derick haven't done much since they have been there.

FWIW, I'm O- and adored by mosquitos at home and abroad.

Avon's Skin So Soft spray bath oil repels skeeters very well.

18 minutes ago, Gimme a Free RV said:

Avon's Skin So Soft spray bath oil repels skeeters very well.

It smells so good!

33 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

So was this the kind of thing Derick was doing in Nepal?

I don't know. They seem aimless. Is this a thing with fundies? Pick a foreign country to move to, then make yourselves sound like heroes for basically...moving? Ugh. They had a beautiful home in Arkansas, Derick had a job, they had a baby and were close to family. I have no idea why they chose this other life that still isn't benefiting others. 

1 hour ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Good news for the ebil Catholics Jill and Derrick want to teach about Jesus, the pope just announced that using contraception is justified in the wake of the Zika virus:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/pope-francis-contraception-lesser-evils-zika-virus-outbreak/story?id=37026017

Hopefully these women can have access to birth control.

Good for Pope Francis!!

I'm always eaten alive by mosquitoes --i started taking a medication for arthritis that contained sulfa and I didn't get a bite all summer (people usually invite me to bbq's to keep everyone else bite free) 

also I had been to St. Lucia in november. I took the sulfa--but i still got eaten alive--so either they're mutant or they were sand fleas or something

I've also been to the big island and went in september (even not being on the sulfa) I don't recall getting a single bite

the St. Lucians told me they like bananas and certain individuals scents 

2 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Good news for the ebil Catholics Jill and Derrick want to teach about Jesus, the pope just announced that using contraception is justified in the wake of the Zika virus:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/pope-francis-contraception-lesser-evils-zika-virus-outbreak/story?id=37026017

Hopefully these women can have access to birth control.

Jill and Derick can now talk to the ebil Catholic on how wrong Pope Francis is for saying it is ok and that they should really trust god more. <epic eye roll>

3 hours ago, DuggarWatch said:

Of course, Derick and Jill never say what "items" they are giving to the kid and his family.  Could be just a bunch of Gothard-type religious tracts.  And, who is providing the free "items" – the church or the Dillards?  Looks like Jill and Derick haven't done much since they have been there.

You are so right, they never said what they provided. I just assumed it would be something that would actually help a teenager with a bedridden mom. There I go, thinking like a social justice Catholic with no strings attached to charity! I will see myself to the prayer closet. ;) 

13 hours ago, InThePrayerCloset said:

I can recommend starting on chemo (methatrexate) and immune suppressors... I used to be a complete mozzie magnet, and this is the first (Australian) summer ever where I haven't been savaged by them. I've spoken to a number of other people on immunosuppressants who have had similar experiences.

Now i don't recommend getting treated for cancer, an organ transplant or autoimmune disease to avoid mozzies... but its certainly one benefit!

I'm on two immunosuppressants (6mp and humira) and I still get bitten soooo bad! My blood type is O+ though so maybe that's why? I had my window open for a couple hours last night and woke up with about 15 bites around my ankles :( 

6 hours ago, WhyNotJulie said:

I'm more surprised that people call them "mozzies". I've never heard that term in the GWN.

I grew up in the upper midwest US and we often called them "skeeters" - First time I've heard "mozzies"!

Iowa girl here, and yes, the common term for me is skeeters. Also, they're so prevalent in Minnesota with all of its lakes, that it might as well be known as the state bird. Never heard of the term mozzies until I read it here.

9 hours ago, Hera said:

I live in Louisiana and they're predicting them here by the summer.  

Here too, in Atlanta.

54 minutes ago, MatthewDuggar said:

I grew up in the upper midwest US and we often called them "skeeters" - First time I've heard "mozzies"!

Ah sorry. I'm an Aussie. I add "ie" or "y" to the end of most words... like "Aussie" ;) 

Something I tried last year and worked splendidly was putting Lavender oil ( kind you can get at craft stores) on my porch and my doors. I did it for spiders but it works for both.

On 2/17/2016 at 10:47 AM, Gimme a Free RV said:

When I go camping, I burn a small citronella candle in my tent before going to sleep.  I've never been bitten at night in my tent.  I burn a larger one right outside the tent door before going into the tent.

ETA:  I am the main entree in the mosquito world.  They love me to pieces.

Someone told me once that high levels of potassium in your blood stream make you more susceptible.. basically your blood is sweeter to bloodsuckers.. I dunno if it's true... all I know is I was a banana hound when I was a kid and they would eat me alive if I didn't wear protection and now in my adult years I definitely don't eat 2 bananas a day like I used to and my bites are minimal..

Any Degreed Professionals out there who wanna tell me I'm crazy?

Oh, good. I'm in Georgia and on medication that raises my potassium levels a bit. Guess that means I'm getting lots of mosquito bites this summer! 

I've lived in the USA and UK and never heard "mozzie" or "mossie" until FJ.

Wish I had my father's immunity to the mosquito saliva, but then he says he developed it the hard way, by getting absolutely massacred growing up (he's from Brazil). I shudder just thinking about it! 

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived