IGNORED

Hutterite Women's Hockey Team

Buzzard

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/hutterite-manitoba-hockey-macgreagor-iron-maidens-baker-colony-1.3448642

baker-hutterite-colony.jpg

This is pretty cool and seems to have been a thing for a while.  There are youtube videos from past games.  

They wear the protective equipment below their skirts and seem to keep up pretty well.  I'm a little surprised to see this because its a WOMEN's team as well as a competitive sport.  I know the Hutterites are pretty mainstream as far as the anabaptist go, but this kind of shocked me in a good way. 

I wonder if the Hutterite's goalie is a member of their community.  She looks like any other goalie, pants and all.

Wow, how progressive of them!  Our Hutterite colony would never even get close to this.  Feather pillows, jam, kraut, chickens, turkeys and brooms for sale.  (All high quality stuff, too.)

I recall a conversation with a  Hutterite man, when I accidentally knocked over one of their brooms for sale.  I offered to right it, and he told me ...(gruffly) "De girls vill get it!"  Poor teenage girls swooped in and fixed it.  Awkward.  For me, at least.

My next conversation involved a Hutterite man who delivered corn for a company feed, and then stayed and stared at our kitchen volunteers.  Never said a word  - just stood there and stared - for about 40 minutes.  Finally, the plant manager had to ask him to leave.... Hutterite boss got a phone call and the starer was invited back to apologize for his weirdness.  Real life fundie/cult meets grumpy HR person... he told me he was told to stay by his boss.... and I asked him if that was "the best use of his time" - he almost cried.

This probably should be in another thread, but I had to share.  And so, I did.

I am super excited to see Hutterite girls (a) playing a sport and (b) really out in public while not on a chore of some sort.

This is great to see! The ladies seem to be having a good time :) My cousin teaches at a Hutterite colony, and she says that the young people at 'her' colony are becoming increasingly involved in mainstream culture and community. I'm going to have to send her the link and see what she says.

12 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

I wonder if the Hutterite's goalie is a member of their community.  She looks like any other goalie, pants and all.

I didnt notice that but yeah, those are definitely pants!  Being a goalie also takes a bit more 'daring' than I'd expect of women who are brought up to look at their shoes and clean.  Its sad to think that these women likely have never even had that chance to jump off a diving board.

I've never encountered a hutterite, just Amish and Mennonite.  Amish as a tourist and I see Mennonites often in the airport.  There was also a whole bunch of them on a cruise ship that was in port the same time as mine recently.  I've generally found them pleasant but not cult like.  I get the cult vibe a lot more from the Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses (also in the airport).  

Not an ice hockey player -- how much would the drag on those skirts slow them down? This topic reminded me of a competitive skier who wore a long coat over her ski suit to meet Islamic modesty requirements -- her times (scores) didn't qualify because of the extra garb. 

Also, are they wearing helmets underneath  their headscarves? I can't tell.  I do see them in the still photo.  Just curious.

I dont think they're competitive enough that speed is that big of an issue.  The bigger issue with playing hockey is that they dont seem to check players.  Its not hockey until you knock someone up against the boards!

Hutterites that I've known seem pretty modern, for religious group that values separation. It makes sense they would take part in sports. 

CSS: They came to my home town frequently and the men would hang out in the bar at the restaurant what's my aunt worked. She was constantly buying corn and chicken and whatever else they were selling at that time. One night, they pulled up with a truck bed full of corn at her house and my aunt told my cousin she better start shucking and then wandered off. She was shucking and cutting corn well into the middle of the night.  Lol, that was 15 years ago, and she's still bitter. 

Nothing  of value to add to this topic, except to say that I find Hutterites absolutely fascinating.  There aren't any near me as far as I know, but I live near a lot of other Anabaptists, so I looked into them at one point during my communal living curiosity phase :my_blush: 

Archived