IGNORED

Girls being compared to apples

THERetroGamerNY

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess this means all those unmarried stay-at-home servants-hearts daughters in their 30s and 40s are Granny Smiths.

Wait. So, the girls are supposed to be harvested, by their dad - creepy! - and given to those most in need. So, what, he checks to see who wants them the most, and then he hands them over? I guess apples don't have opinions about who consumes them, and neither should girls. And as a father, it's his job to provide for both the boys who are after his daughter, and his daughter. How does he manage that? He gives his daughter to the boy who needs her the most, the rest get a subscription to Penthouse?

Comparing a human being to an edible, nonsentient fruit. What.

2 minutes ago, doggie said:

what about the apples with worms?

No no no no! A worm shall not enter the pristine apple until after the wedding.

I'll see myself out....

Boys are like hungry donkeys, wandering around waiting for a kindly farmer to offer them an apple on an outstretched palm?

And where does hard cider come into things? Or vinegar?

This is foul. 

It IS foul.

I remember, during my first ventures into therapy after escaping my abusive childhood, this concept of "agency", which is us as humans having free will.

I had to learn to think for myself and discover my own agency.

Apples don't have agency.

Dang it! I've got groceries to put away but this nonsense has forced me to sit here and change my avatar to a slutty apple.

Also, at first I thought this thread might be about Cabinet Man but then I remembered he compared women to cows, not fruit.

My bad. 

Yikes. Anything with the imagery of a girl being consumed (in this case physically, ew!) is just so disgusting and worrisome to me. It bothers me so much. Just so obvious they see women as people last, and chattel first. 

Ugh, that comparison is just... ugh.

:brainbleach:

It makes me ill that I was being groomed to regard women as such... It is just chilling.

I'm not surprised. Fundie Christians compare girls to a father's prized car, or talk about "you wouldn't want to drink a cup that 10 people have spat in" in support of purity culture. It's almost as if purity culture only works if women are viewed as objects you can own, rather than people with their own personalities and moral values.

Still gross as all-get-out, though.

"It's the (father's) job to harvest the apple and give it to whom he will, those in need" not "those best suited" not "those most compatible" not "he whom his Apple (daughter) loves" not "he who will most appreciate it". Nope. "Those whom he will, those in need" basically "if you can do something for me, I'll let you "satisfy that need" with my daughter." Ugh. This is just disgusting, on so many levels. 

ETA: "it is the farmer's job to provide for both" is that insinuating a Bin-type situation where the farmer/father is aware he's giving this apple away to a buffoon?

So...after an apple has been given away for consumption, does she magically transform into an apple tree (vs. a cored apple) and does the one who consumed her thus become a farmer?

Also, where do boys come from?  Are they animal (a paradox, if one's mother is a fruit) or vegetable?

ick. in the dark ages of myspace I remember this one being a popular thing: girls-are-like-apples-on-trees.jpg

still don't like it for putting down other women for being "easy" apples, but much better than that fundie nonsense. 

So...according to this, did the Maxwells do it wrong?  This implies that the bride's father has all the say in the matchmaking and we all know that is not the way it happens in Maxhell.  If Steve didn't raise the apples, yet set all the rules for picking and distribution...what is he? A foreman? An overseer?  Just a plain old farmhand? 

Also, as the father to three apples daughters, is he sinning to his core (heh, see what I did there?) for not giving his apples to someone who might NEED them?  Someone needs those apples, Steve!! Shame on you for hiding your apples under a bushel.

What about Steve's apples???

I have to know these things!!! HAS STEVE FALLEN OUT OF THE APPLE TREE???

1 hour ago, happy atheist said:

Boys are like hungry donkeys, wandering around waiting for a kindly farmer to offer them an apple on an outstretched palm?

No, boys are roast suckling pigs, holding the apples in their mouths for all to admire.

This meme was really popular when I was in middle school, but the part about the farmer cultivating the proverbial apple tree was omitted.

1 hour ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

I'm not surprised. Fundie Christians compare girls to a father's prized car, or talk about "you wouldn't want to drink a cup that 10 people have spat in" in support of purity culture. It's almost as if purity culture only works if women are viewed as objects you can own, rather than people with their own personalities and moral values.

Still gross as all-get-out, though.

I actually think that this metaphor is a lot less gross and terrible on it's own than the ones the Purity Movement typically uses. 

If you take it at face value with out all the purity stuff it is just saying a father helps raise and nature his daughter to find a mate. It doesn't insult the boys or the girls for looking for a mate or put anyone down. It's only in the context of SAMD and the purity movement that it becomes gross and creepy. 

Archived