IGNORED

The Following

Walking Cat Bed

I'm almost two-thirds through The Following (on netflix!) and it's fascinating.

Short summary: Joe Carroll was a college professor with a devoted wife before he was revealed to be a serial killer. He, and others, have created "families" (or cults) based on being a serial killer. Lots of really crazy people. Kevin Bacon is an FBI agent trying to stop Joe Carroll.

I remember this show ... yeah, it was kinda fascinating. I felt it sorta fell apart though, towards the end, and was unsurprised it was cancelled.

There were some really awesome moments in it...

Well, you can only have so many serial killer cults around before "normal" people lose their minds, you know?

I'm getting to the end of season 2. 

Season 1 was good.  season 2 not so much but it kept me going.  That final season I bailed on after 1 or 2 episodes.  Cancellation on confirmed my opinion at that point.  

9 minutes ago, happy atheist said:

I only made it partway through the first season of this. I bailed out around the time some bad guys had the kid in a farmhouse.

That, and it was just so very, very stabby.  I've been sliced with a knife and that was excruciatingly painful - all that stabbing was just too much for me.  I do love Kevin Bacon's acting though, so I tried to stick through it...just couldn't do it.

I've already seen a few people who really could have done better (and could have stayed out of serial killer cults). But that's why cults work as well as they do -- they attract teenage daughters of single mothers who don't really have obvious Options in life, and who attach themselves to the first boyfriend or father figure who shows up. Even if that boyfriend convinces them to run off to a commune that quickly becomes a death cult. 

I watched it all. There were a lot of scenes that were difficult to watch, for sure! Overall, I enjoyed it. It was unlike anything I've watched before. I thought the very last episode of the series was terrible. Actually, most of it was good, but the very end was awful. It's like the writers just said, "fuck it." 

14 hours ago, iweartanktops6 said:

I watched it all. There were a lot of scenes that were difficult to watch, for sure! Overall, I enjoyed it. It was unlike anything I've watched before. I thought the very last episode of the series was terrible. Actually, most of it was good, but the very end was awful. It's like the writers just said, "fuck it." 

Does the ending wrap up the story? Or is it a cliff-hanger?

1 minute ago, happy atheist said:

Does the ending wrap up the story? Or is it a cliff-hanger?

Hmmm... I want to say it wraps up the story, but in my opinion it's kind of a cliffhanger. It doesn't completely wrap up. I wasn't satisfied. 

7 minutes ago, iweartanktops6 said:

Hmmm... I want to say it wraps up the story, but in my opinion it's kind of a cliffhanger. It doesn't completely wrap up. I wasn't satisfied. 

Then I probably won't bother getting back into it. :shrug:

11 minutes ago, happy atheist said:

Then I probably won't bother getting back into it. :shrug:

Yeah. The sad thing is, the episode was so good! I was captivated the entire time! Then, the last few minutes were TERRIBLE. This one scene I shouted, "what the fuck?!" Unbelievable. Obviously I'm still mad. ;)

I didn't mind the first season of The Following for the most part because I love, love me some James Purefoy...*sigh*

But! The storyline did become pretty silly. And after Season 1, even James and Kevin Bacon weren't enough to keep me watching. 

Aahhh James, I tried, I really did...

• 1 month later...

We bailed out sometime during the 2nd season. It just seemed to jump the shark. Admittedly, for that first season, though, we were faithful watchers and were on the edges of our seats with suspense.

On a somewhat related note, did anyone catch a very similar show that came out around the same time on the CW called....drumroll.....Cult? I was fascinated by this one because it was on this whole meta level where a TV show that was about a mysterious cult led by a charismatic guy named Billy Grimm (seriously...great villain name...I even based a Sims 3 character off of this guy :pb_lol:).

And then weird stuff starts happening in RL and there's this whole conspiracy and it starts to get pretty good....

And then the series is canceled because The Following (two very similar shows at the same time and The Following was for whatever reason the more popular).

I want to know what the ending was! I hate when shows do that. They need to at least wrap up the season for their loyal fans.

ETA: @DaffyDill We also stayed as long as we did b/c of Purefoy. Both I and the headship love him.

Archived