IGNORED

Sarah Maxwell took a plane trip and Mary posts OCC

Seven Severn

The post's original opening, "Joseph and I's time," has been corrected. Post now reads "Joseph and my time." One wretched error improved (but arguably not yet perfect). 

(Howdy, Steve.)

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A puppy  and a solo trip to visit a friend.  Stevie is really loosening the reins!  I'm hoping that this is the first of many new freedoms for at home childults.  But again this is Steve.  I'll be convinced that real changes are happening when Terri starts drinking Pepsi, John moves out, and the girls are liberated from cleaning ceiling fans and the auntie's playground.

7 hours ago, Vex said:

Oh my god.

I consider my grammar to be fairly poor so I always feel a bit guilty criticising another person's grammar, but her writing is atrocious. It's not Mary's fault; she was educated by Teri and wasn't allowed to read books (which is pretty much how I learned grammar) so she never really had a chance.

I'm used to Sarah's writing style, but this just kind of blew me away.

I fucking hate fundie homeschooling. Seriously, fuck them for not giving kids the tools to write basic sentences with correct grammar and spelling in their native language.

Grammar not my strong suit either (who and whom still confuse me a bit) so I'm not overly snarky on some grammatical errors, but the error in that first sentence is just so obvious, and sad, because there is such a simple trick to figure out when to use I/my/me with a second person in a sentence that most kids learn early on in school.  I still use use it even to this day, just drop the other 'and other person' and write the sentence. You wouldn't say "I time.." you'd say "My time" so it's "Joseph's and my time".  I suspect at some point in time Mary said something along the lines of "Joseph and me want to memorize bible verses" and Teri/Steve corrected her to "Joseph and I" with no context, so it's always "so and so an I."

Anytime Steve or Teri write about Teri's homeschooling days, it is always about what was best for Teri, never, what was best for the children.  I don't know how someone can be proud taking the lazy way.

10 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

I don't see a comment correcting Mary's grammatical error, but I've screen capped the original version of her post,  just in case it does get changed. 

P. Sarah's smile looks a little less forlorn in the shopping photo, but I hope she & Tiffany got to take in a movie or browse some sites without precious siblings along. Selfish of me, I know. 

And it's been changed.

I am not as bothered by the grammar as the fact that all the Maxwell texts have so little feeling and seem just so barren. It is only slightly more interesting than reading someone's shopping list.

So, they are promoting the Gift Boxes, even though they were surrounded by evil heathen women in jeans...not denim skirts, but pants!

It is interesting that she had to have her brother with her for this task. It would be horrible for strange women claiming to be christians to talk to her without someone in authority over her nearby, wouldn't it!

2 hours ago, sophrosyne said:

The post's original opening, "Joseph and I's time," has been corrected. Post now reads "Joseph and my time." One wretched error improved (but arguably not yet perfect). 

(Howdy, Steve.)

Yeah, it's a little less bad, but still not right. The fun thing about language is that there's always another way to say something! If you're unsure of what's correct, why not find a different structure? The options are endless!

"Joseph and I had an exciting time at OCC!"

"I went to OCC with Joseph and we had an exciting time!"

"Joseph and I went to OCC and we had such an exciting time!" 

"What an exciting time Joseph and I had at OCC!"

Or of you want to get truly Maxwellian: "Exciting times were had by Joseph and me at OCC!" 

1 hour ago, Seven Severn said:

And it's been changed.

I'm usually useless at attaching photos (don't got no steenkeeng Shutterfly) but will try: 

image.png

1 hour ago, Seven Severn said:

And it's been changed.

And it's still wrong!

Joseph and my time at Operation Christmas Child was so exciting. 

It should be written, "Joseph's and my time . . . ." It sounds awkward, but it's correct.

5 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Yeah, that's my big issue with Duolingo. I think it's great for getting vocabulary and getting a feel for grammar rules, but I feel like I'd retain the grammar so much better if they'd explain the rules more. Even just a pop-up on a new unit that gives you a rundown of how complete past/subjunctive/whatever works would be great. Doing the exercises with lots of different sentences that build on the vocabulary you've already learned is helpful, but sometimes I feel like I'm just guessing and learning by waiting for it to tell me I screwed up. Really not good when you get into irregulars or exceptions.

This! When everyone goes on about how great Duolingo is for learning languages I'm always feel like I'm missing out on something. That maybe there is a grammar rules part that I haven't found yet. It pisses me off.

I am apparently 20% fluent in french according to the app - I'm calling BS on that. Don't even ask me how to conjugate verbs, I'm at a loss. There is just not enough information to create a pattern. I need to be able to see all 6 forms at once for it to make sense to me (I, you, he/she, we, you, they).
I understand Duolingo could be helpful if you used it for practicing language skills that you know or just learnt, but I don't think it is a replacement for a decent language course.

To be honest I like memrise better than duolingo for vocab learning.
They would be better to get a 'dummies guide to" or a "teach yourself" book if they want to do language learning. Ooh or the FSI language courses.

Mary's writing is atrocious and their not so sly corrections are pathetic. If their god sees all, he/she sees them attempt to correct a mistake they won't acknowledge and pretend it never existed. This is, however, nothing new. 

Wow my first thought was to quietly sing "Steve saw the light Steve saw the light, his daughter is a woman he now saw it clear"; okay that doesn't really go with the rhythm, but you get the point. We'll see if he next recants his teaching on how siblings are all the friends you need. Or at least admits that it's extreme. Like "siblings should be your BEST friends, but other friends keep you in balance". And maybe admit where he got extreme.

Interesting stuff on the OCC experience. Good progress, Steve.

I'm happy for Sarah. First she is allowed to have a dog and now travel and visit friends. I don't know what has changed for the Maxwell's that all of this is now allowed but I'm taking credit (well, me and everyone else on FJ of course). I hope Steve read the threads about "poor Sarah" and decided to do something about it or better yet I hope SARAH read the threads on "poor Sarah" and decided to do something about it. To this end here is my next advice for Steve/Sarah: take a college course or get a part time job. It will get you out of the house. You'll learn new skills and independence and best of all : it might be fun!

18 hours ago, Hane said:

Thaaaaaat would be me. I'm amazed my comment was posted (I never did see it), but surprised that Steve didn't swoop in and change the "I's."

The comment was deleted and there was a partial fix. Now it says "Joseph and my". Still wrong, Steve. Beause of this I am NEVER buying any of your homeschool materials.

4 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

Oh dear. That was the verbal equivalent of a trip to the dentist. 

So that is why I couldn't actually read past the second line. It was painful and nearly impossible to understand what or who she was talking about. I chalked it up to being scattered brain & all maxwell writing being incredibly boring, but no the grammar made the post unreadable. 

Mary went to OCC in Dec, it's now Feb and she Is finally getting around to writing this post.  What is she been doing in the meantime it's not like she has a job or college or friends.

2 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

Mary went to OCC in Dec, it's now Feb and she Is finally getting around to writing this post.  What is she been doing in the meantime it's not like she has a job or college or friends.

Those ceiling fans ain't gonna dust themselves

That bit about the note is particularly confusing. "Some boxes came with notes, and many of them were very sweet" would suffice. 

What I don't understand: the kid's writing is clearly atrocious, thanks to their stellar SOTDRT education. But Stevehova and Terrie actually went to college, and should know better. Since I assume that the kids can't post anything on the website anyway that isn't approved by Stevehova, I wonder why he doesn't realize how awful their writing style and grammar is? I mean, he could correct the very obvious faults before someone calls him out on them?

Archived