IGNORED

Sarah Maxwell took a plane trip and Mary posts OCC

Seven Severn

She tells us to consider sending gifts for 'the older boys' or 'the younger boys'. Then later says the middle age group gets more donations. Maybe tell the age range of those groups, Mary, for it to make more sense. And yes, "Joseph and I's trip" is very telling of her education. 

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whenever a fundie starts to gain more freedom my first thought is a Courtship/Wedding is coming up for them because that seems to be what makes them be considered adults.

26 minutes ago, Sundaymorning said:

Even if Sarah didn't go alone, I consider any time away from Stevehova a good time!

I hope this family invites her for a vacation of something soon.

I agree. I am glad for her to get away from the compound for any length of time. 

1 hour ago, tumblr said:

Whenever a fundie starts to gain more freedom my first thought is a Courtship/Wedding is coming up for them because that seems to be what makes them be considered adults.

Yep. Not necessarily Sarah's ( of course not Sarah's what am I saying), but she could be doing some early ground work for one of her brothers who are still at home. Just-Waitin'? Just-Like-Dad? Just-Bored? Whatever his name is. 

I don't actually believe Steve does anything that a) does not benefit Steve in some way and 2) does not benefit Steve in some way. So I suspect something. Not sure what, but something. Far too many people for far too long have been being played by the puppet master, it is unlikely that that will stop any time short of Steve taking to his deathbed. 

1 hour ago, anjulibai said:

She had her kids reading textbooks and doing workbooks, and considered that overwhelming. She wasn't doing anything. 

Somewhere out there, there is a Mom's Corner that said that she chose workbooks, because that meant she didn't have to do any prep work.  I  don't know how she can wear her "I home-schooled for 30 years Merit Badge" with such pride.  Basically it seems all she did was buy workbooks, make a schedule and listen to them read for a half hour once every few days.

My grammar loving heart just broke into teeny little pieces after reading the first sentence of Mary's post. Dare I read further?

1 minute ago, sparkles said:

My grammar loving heart just broke into teeny little pieces after reading the first sentence of Mary's post. Dare I read further?

Waiting for it to be fixed in 3, 2, 1...Hi, Steve!

That was one of the most abysmally written posts to ever have graced their blog. Seriously. 

3 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

Speaking of, Mary wrote "Joseph and I’s time at Operation Christmas Child was so exciting." and "Joseph and Elissa blessed me so much by taking me to OCC!"

Yes, I's.  The accepted standard form is "Joseph's and my".

And for an out of context quote:

"You might also consider doing older boys."

Sorry, not sorry.

I was always taught, put each name into the sentence, Joseph's trip, I's trip, My trip to get the correct words.  Basic grammar.  

Ow. Ow. Ow. My brain hurts from attempting to process her writing.  In my mind I had a red pen for correcting that egregious abuse of language.

Language is how we communicate.  It should be revered not mangled. 

Even: "Joseph and I spent time at Operation Christmas Child. It was so exciting!" would have been better than that abysmal sentence.

4 minutes ago, Khan said:

Language is how we communicate.  It should be revered not mangled. 

Preach it.

That's the first time I'd ever seen a photo of Sarah where her eyes didn't look sad or haggard.  

16 minutes ago, FloraKitty35 said:

That's the first time I'd ever seen a photo of Sarah where her eyes didn't look sad or haggard.  

Oh wow, you're right!  I'm amazed, and happy for her.

But I feel sorry for six-year-old Olivia, who drew a 'pretty amazing' picture of the Moodys to help her four-year-old brother keep track of the characters. 

Someone pointed out in the comments about the grammar error. How much you want to bet that comment doesn't stay up there, and the post gets corrected? Can't have the Maxwell SOTDRT looking bad.

*slaps her copy of the Oxford Dictionary* My brothers and sisters!  Sharing our thoughts and ideas is an important part of being human...

Oh, you didn't mean that literally. :5624798d10d1f_nayIsayno:

Oops. Riffles.

"I would recommend doing either the older children or younger children."   :pearlclutching: 

"Composition books are better used writing original stories than for copying endless bible tracts."

Teri should write the above sentence 10,000 times while interviewing actual tutors for her children's education. SOTDRT gets a failing grade.

I always shake my head at what the Maxwell's put in their boxes...but Mary went to OCC HQ, saw the 'no candy'  signs (which are right in front of her, posted on the workbench in the photo she posted) and STILL says candy is a great idea?! 

I just can't...:my_huh:

Perhaps she thinks that candy from Jesus is an acceptable gift. Let's get these children started on a lifetime of dental problems so she can feel like a generous spirit.  Rules don't apply to to you if God puts something in your heart.

That sounds so dirty.  Tsk.

She may have gone alone.  She looks scared and apprehensive in that airplane selfie (but does look fabulous in the shopping picture.)  

I hope the outside world was nothing like the scary place Steve has (probably) described.   

5 hours ago, Odd1Out said:

She tells us to consider sending gifts for 'the older boys' or 'the younger boys'. Then later says the middle age group gets more donations. Maybe tell the age range of those groups, Mary, for it to make more sense. 

For what it's worth, the labels provided by OCC have only three categories (ages 2-4, 5-9, and 10-14) and are also supposed to be marked boy or girl. I bet Mary never considered the possibility that some of her readers might not already be familiar with the OCC system.

47 minutes ago, Casserole said:

Mary went to OCC HQ, saw the 'no candy' signs (which are right in front of her, posted on the workbench in the photo she posted) and STILL says candy is a great idea?!

So I have friends who "process boxes" at one of OCC's regional packing centers every year, and they've said that the only kind of candy that's actually prohibited is chocolate (because it melts in the heat when boxes are sent to Africa or other warm climates). Jolly Ranchers and other hard candies are allowed and even encouraged. Apparently there was a big dispute at one packing center about whether Tootsie Rolls were permissible or not  :my_huh:  

Archived