IGNORED

Port of Spain, Trinidad mayor blames women's lewdness for assualts and murder during Carnival

EmainMacha

Not sure if this is the right forum but must share my outrage!! The mayor of Port of Spain in Trinidad is (thankfully) coming under international scrutiny for his victim blaming comments prior to Carnival when he essentially said women's outfits and lewdness durung the season led to their being assualted.  Comments which he then reiterated after a female Japanese visitor who played mas with a local band was found murdered on Ash Wednesday. Hopefully the misogynistic prick will lose his position over this. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/02/12/outrage-in-trinidad-after-mayor-blames-carnival-killing-on-dancers-lewd-behavior/

I thought I put this in Quiverful of Misogyny! Sorry mods!

"Let the imagination wonder?" Dude.  She was brutally murdered in his city and he blames her clothing.  When will it be culturally acceptable to teach boys not to rape rather than teaching girls how to try to avoid rape? Perhaps that'll happen when women are accepted as people instead of property.  

59 minutes ago, Khan said:

"Let the imagination wonder?" Dude.  She was brutally murdered in his city and he blames her clothing.  When will it be culturally acceptable to teach boys not to rape rather than teaching girls how to try to avoid rape? Perhaps that'll happen when women are accepted as people instead of property.  

I don't know.  Makes me sick that it's still always the woman's fault.  Aren't we supposed to learn in kindergarten to keep our hands to ourselves?

They forget Muslim/ Islamic women get raped fully clothed. It is ashame in the 21st century there' still 19th century ideas about sexual assaults and where the fault belongs.

Looks like Mr Kee will be handing in his resignation tomorrow. I hope it will be accepted but the lack of official condemnation makes me wonder. 

A friend once told me something that chilled my blood. Her father told her "no honorable woman would ever put herself in a position where she could be raped."  Are we supposed to travel everywhere with male relatives as chaperones?  Can we even guarantee the 'honor' of those male relatives?

To rewrite the title:

"Every sensible person in the in the world blames Trinidad mayor's stupid misogyny for loss of job."

He didn't resign after all. And there are mutterings on FB about having a march in support of him to counteract the one against him last week. I just...Argh!!!!

Archived