IGNORED

Bates Family Part 9

Boogalou

6 minutes ago, Diana said:

Thats what modesty and purity is all about, at least the gypsies(i thought about them because there is lots of reality shows about them here in spain lately, they are like our own fundies) who also are all about marrying the girls young and virgins dont pretend that its about religion(even if most of them converted to evangelism)but a part of their patriarchal culture to give pride and honour to the father and bullshit like that.

God I hate those shows. I am of Romanichal descent on my father's side (my Grandfather specifically) and my extended family is NOTHING like that. Although saying that my father had no sisters and my Grandfather passed away before any of us girls grew up  so who knows what he would have been like.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Alye said:

God I hate those shows. I am of Romanichal descent on my father's side (my Grandfather specifically) and my extended family is NOTHING like that. Although saying that my father had no sisters and my Grandfather passed away before any of us girls grew up  so who knows what he would have been like.

Was him from spain? maybe he was not really in the culture anymore or in other countries is diferent, here in spain a lot of gitanos are still like that and proud.

He was from England and left with my Grandmother, Father, and Uncle in the 60's because with the prevalent discrimination he couldn't find work so they emigrated to Australia. While he and one of his brothers did leave the community, I do have a great-uncle who stayed and his family is nothing like a lot of those shows portray. They are incredibly nice and respectful and education is becoming increasingly important because its hard to find jobs without it. In his family the unmarried girls had jobs outside the home. His family, at least, is nowhere near as insular as the shows portray.

36 minutes ago, Alye said:

He was from England and left with my Grandmother, Father, and Uncle in the 60's because with the prevalent discrimination he couldn't find work so they emigrated to Australia. While he and one of his brothers did leave the community, I do have a great-uncle who stayed and his family is nothing like a lot of those shows portray. They are incredibly nice and respectful and education is becoming increasingly important because its hard to find jobs without it. In his family the unmarried girls had jobs outside the home. His family, at least, is nowhere near as insular as the shows portray.

But a lot of the people portrayed in british and american shows arent even gypsies, they are travelers. I have watched some episodes of my big fat gypsie wedding and most of them look very blonde and have british features like they are very mixed already, here they marry inside their families so are more closed and keep their culture more.

For example when a gypsy girl reached college it became news, because its that unusual, and the ones that do its because they leave the culture and dont get married young. Even most guys dont end high school either. They value their culture more than education(imagine that one of the guys on the show believed that the moon was how the sun looked at night! and that was a guy in his 30s that lived in a city, not some old guy that lived isolated in a remote village) They even check the virginity of the brides with a handkerchief as part of the wedding ceremony and then celebrate it and crown her.

8 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Gil took the little girls out and told them they can get married or stay with him.

So basically just the little girls were told that their only options in life were marriage or staying home with daddy? I'm sure they tried to play it off as cute, but knowing their beliefs, it is really icky. Gil is just another Jim Bob without Ken hair. 

43 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

So basically just the little girls were told that their only options in life were marriage or staying home with daddy? I'm sure they tried to play it off as cute, but knowing their beliefs, it is really icky. Gil is just another Jim Bob without Ken hair. 

That makes me so so sick!!!!

20 minutes ago, Diana said:

But a lot of the people portrayed in british and american shows arent even gypsies, they are travelers. I have watched some episodes of my big fat gypsie wedding and most of them look very blonde and have british features like they are very mixed already, here they marry inside their families so are more closed and keep their culture more.

For example when a gypsy girl reached college it became news, because its that unusual, and the ones that do its because they leave the culture and dont get married young. Even most guys dont end high school either. They value their culture more than education(imagine that one of the guys on the show believed that the moon was how the sun looked at night! and that was a guy in his 30s that lived in a city, not some old guy that lived isolated in a remote village) They even check the virginity of the brides with a handkerchief as part of the wedding ceremony and then celebrate it and crown her.

I was just saying what I knew about from my family; like in any culture beliefs and actions vary wildly. As always these programs show the worst, the most stereotypical.  I do know that there is a big difference between Romani and Traveller culture but the fact that the shows title pretty much equates the two is one thing I hate about it. My cousins at least get the choice to receive an education, which we certainly can't say about a lot of fundies. Also people may have jobs but not identify as Romani outside of the community because of a fear of discrimination. That doesn't stop from them personally identifying as Romani or participating in the community. This is the case with one of my cousins who works in a child-care centre.

As for genetics my family is Romanichal which generally has a higher percentage of fair-skinned, fair-haired people than other Romany groups because of, historically, how much they've married outside the community. I'm blonde and fair but then I'm only a quarter. My dad had quite fair hair before he went grey but my grandfather had black hair. He was a builder and this is Australia so I can't say what his complexion was like.

Don't even get me started on how the term Gypsy is derogatory.

7 hours ago, becky4201 said:

I was really squicked out when they're walking down the street and talking about going back to the room.

Totally explains why she was all "Why would I be nervous?" before the wedding. What she really meant to say was "Bitch, I read that section of the encyclopedia eleventy times, and am totally DTF." :hand:

Callie is absolutely adorable. It's annoying me that they are starting to stage the show like 19 Kac. Especially the sweet tea debacle. The girls got up the bathroom, after they told Gil he could only have one cup of sweet tea and came back and it was filled and they noticed immediately. A small staged incident but why i can stomach their show was because most of it didn't seem so staged.

the honeymoon was less awkward than josh and annas and seeing a bible on the bed. Michael just seems so smitten and they are not awkward with their affection. Also that's the most I've seen her talk, laugh, and be sort of Tom boyish. She wasn't as dainty as I thought she was.

Also it was cute, when Whitney said zack called home crying every night, when he tried to say "some" nights. He definitely wouldn't be able to have a marriage with Sarah because she has her own ambitions and would no way want to stay at home waiting around for Zach.

things to snark on: 

1. It annoyed me when gil told them they can stay with him instead of getting married. Like they can't be like the older keilen girls and be single with normal careers. I hate the goals they set for such young girls, and college merily being something to do while you're waiting for Prince Charming.

2. The sweet tea just screamed Jim bob. Ugh isn't it a sin to be glutinous? A little self control?

3. I'm sorry but when Michael said "I love having firsts with you," AWKWARD!

4. Last but not least, Brandon saying he can't wait to show her, her new apartment in Chicago. I find it strange that she wouldn't be involved with the selection or decorating. 

I guess this is sort of a recap as well.

The apartment is probably provided by ATI and I'm sure she can add her own touches, if only with accessories. Although, they will probably end up in Texas with the Wallers.

23 minutes ago, jcanglin991 said:

The apartment is probably provided by ATI and I'm sure she can add her own touches, if only with accessories. Although, they will probably end up in Texas with the Wallers.

If the apartment is a rental, they're most likely limited as to what kind of touches they can add (some landlords don't allow painting, etc).  

17 hours ago, Alye said:

I feel like we should do a challenge here, 30 days where we follow all their modesty rules but try to look as unfundie/immodest as possible and post all our outfits on a thread here.

I'm in.

47 minutes ago, Exjw2015deed said:

4. Last but not least, Brandon saying he can't wait to show her, her new apartment in Chicago. I find it strange that she wouldn't be involved with the selection or decorating. 

Michael was definitely involved in the decorating part at least. She puts some photos up on instagram a while back, which I will never forget because I was weirded out by all of the framed cutesy couple pictures she had in the bathroom. I don't know why, but that bothers me. One of my grandmothers has an adolescent picture of me on the counter in her guest bathroom, and every time I'm over, I move it. She gets a kick out of it, but I don't want all of her bridge club friends looking at me while they pee.

4 hours ago, formergothardite said:

No wonder Alyssa bailed at the age of 19.  

I'm happy for her also. She seems to really like Brandon. She always seemed to be the quiet one so these couple of episodes leading up to the wedding it was nice to see her come out of her shell. 

Brandon is from Michigan, right? Maybe he wanted to show Michael a traditional Michigan pastime, re. the fly fishing?

I would probably be down to try my hand at fly fishing if the opportunity arose, even if it was on my Honeymoon. You go to Hawaii, you go surfing. You go to Montana, you go fly fishing. Makes sense to me!

30 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

What's wrong with fly fishing on your honeymoon? Sounds like a fun activity.

I see nothing wrong with doing that. I personally would not but I if that is something my new husband was interested in doing I would do it. 

24 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

I would probably be down to try my hand at fly fishing if the opportunity arose, even if it was on my Honeymoon. You go to Hawaii, you go surfing. You go to Montana, you go fly fishing. Makes sense to me!

I'd like to try fishing, if only because I love cooking fish and making sushi, so if I caught the fish myself, I'd know it was fresh.

Goodness, do the Bateses not give us enough REAL snark material? What the hell is wrong with going fly fishing on your honeymoon, if that is what you enjoy doing? Or taking a bath together (wtf is "ew" about that? :pb_rollseyes:)? Those are perfectly normal things to do that some people enjoy and some don't.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived