IGNORED

Bates Family Part 9

Boogalou

The discussion left off with maxi skirts, Michaela's wedding episode just airing, and the Superbowl halftime show aiding in digestion.

Part 8 is here:  

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the maxi skirts, I have the same exact black and grey striped skirt Jill wore during her pregnancy with Izzy. I got it before I saw her wear it. Now that Jill had worn it, my family makes fun of me and calls me a Duggar when I wear it. It is so comfy though. I love maxi skirts, though I don't wear them often; I am more of a jeans girl.

I love maxi skirts, but I wear ones with defrauding splits in them, and I usually wear them with tank tops that show my shoulders (!!!) or even a crop top. They are very comfy and keep you cool. You can definitely style a maxi skirt to not look fundie at all.

25 minutes ago, Yes, TOTALLY said:

I love maxi skirts, but I wear ones with defrauding splits in them, and I usually wear them with tank tops that show my shoulders (!!!) or even a crop top. They are very comfy and keep you cool. You can definitely style a maxi skirt to not look fundie at all.

Crop tops? How are you ever going to pass the...

Belly.png

1 hour ago, nickelodeon said:

Belly.png

Well that brought back memories. What were those things called? Pretty much a boob tube worn to cover your belly while always pulled over your pants/skirt halfway down your butt. I hope whatever it is has disappeared from the clothing scene

The intoxicating belly! It brings to mind a youth-group experience. We (the girls) were taught a song that was titled "Private Square." The lyrics were:

No! Don't touch me there!

This is my private square!

I am the daughter of a king!

I'll save myself for a wedding ring!

While singing this song, you use a few hand motions. During the top line, you do the "STOP" hand sign, and for the second line, you draw an imaginary square that encompasses everything between your boobs and shame-box. The rest of it is just general snide finger waving, and oddly suggestive hip-swinging. 

6 minutes ago, SolomonFundy said:

The intoxicating belly! It brings to mind a youth-group experience. We (the girls) were taught a song that was titled "Private Square." The lyrics were:

While singing this song, you use a few hand motions. During the top line, you do the "STOP" hand sign, and for the second line, you draw an imaginary square that encompasses everything between your boobs and shame-box. The rest of it is just general snide finger waving, and oddly suggestive hip-swinging. 

Oh. My. Word. 

I love love love maxi skirts as well. That is all I wear in the summer. I am on the bigger side and am uncomfortable wearing shorts, so they help me stay cool. I wear them with tank tops though.

Maybe its because I'm in Australia and hot days top 40 degrees celsius but as much as I love them I don't find maxi-skirts any cooler than pants in summer, all they do is block the breeze which is the only thing refreshing on those days.

2 minutes ago, Alye said:

Maybe its because I'm in Australia and hot days top 40 degrees celsius but as much as I love them I don't find maxi-skirts any cooler than pants in summer, all they do is block the breeze which is the only thing refreshing on those days.

Yep, this.

---

Anyone else find it strange Alyssa has been rather absent from her instagram account?

re: the modesty stuff

As a mom to 3 girls (15, 12, 9), I find it hard to balance talk about modesty w/o coming off as judgy or slut shaming.   We aren't religious at all.  I just personally like to have myself mostly covered (always wear a bra, nothing very tight, no tank tops or shorty shorts in public), probably because I'm a bigger woman.  I generally try to tell them to stick to appropriate wear for the occasion (for example they have regular swimsuits or tankinis for the pool).  Not a rant, just something I struggle with sometimes.

Oh god that modesty song. Gotta love the suggestive hip sway after drawing a box encompassing your box. Lol. "Look what you cant have. Its my virgin sex parts. LOOK AT MY BOX and remember it's forbidden and taboo." Thats always the best way to keep people from thinking of your vagina, right? Remind them its taboo while drawing all attention to it?

5 minutes ago, missegeno said:

Oh god that modesty song. Gotta love the suggestive hip sway after drawing a box encompassing your box. Lol. "Look what you cant have. Its my virgin sex parts. LOOK AT MY BOX and remember it's forbidden and taboo." Thats always the best way to keep people from thinking of your vagina, right? Remind them its taboo while drawing all attention to it?

So what I thought! Fundies are the opposite of modesty. Everything in their world revolves around sex, and they frequently tease those who can't have sex (yet) with sex.  :output_eeMbjt:

1 hour ago, Tdoc72 said:

re: the modesty stuff

As a mom to 3 girls (15, 12, 9), I find it hard to balance talk about modesty w/o coming off as judgy or slut shaming.   We aren't religious at all.  I just personally like to have myself mostly covered (always wear a bra, nothing very tight, no tank tops or shorty shorts in public), probably because I'm a bigger woman.  I generally try to tell them to stick to appropriate wear for the occasion (for example they have regular swimsuits or tankinis for the pool).  Not a rant, just something I struggle with sometimes.

I agree with this. At some point they are probably going to want to experiment with their dress which I think is fine but I also think that there needs to be limits. I am not OK with very young kids in supershort shorts, shirts that show too much stomach or very short tight dresses, I just don't think this is appropriate. My daughter is only 3 and this is still easy as she wears sun-protection clothes at the beach, she accepts that skirts go with leggings that shorts go to the knee but the older she gets the more she is going to start asking why this and that item is not something I will buy. 

43 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

So what I thought! Fundies are the opposite of modesty. Everything in their world revolves around sex, and they frequently tease those who can't have sex (yet) with sex.  :output_eeMbjt:

That is the first time I have seen that emoji. 

Crap! I can't stop looking at it! My eyes, MY EYES!

Just now, Alye said:

That is the first time I have seen that emoji. 

Crap! I can't stop looking at it! My eyes, MY EYES!

I love it and I've wanted to use it in like..forever. :my_biggrin: It perfectly sums up the issues I have with fundies. 

8 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

Belly.png

Shutthefuckup!  This is not real!  Please tell me this is satire!  I am lololololololololololololol and now "Don't touch me there.  This is my private square" is stuck in my head.

7 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

I learned this at a secular summer camp but a decidedly different version. The hip sway and finger wagging and STOP hand were the same but it was

STOP, don't touch me there

This here is my private square 

R-A-P-E, keep your hands away from me!

Maxi skirts don't flatter me that much, so most of my skirts are knee length or shorter.

In the summer of 2014, I was wearing a low cut top with a bandeau for modesty, a denim skirt, and flip flops.  About an hour after leaving it hit me that I resembled a Duggar.  My hair was in a side braid like Jill likes to wear.

I'm slowly trying to phase pants out of my wardrobe, not for religious reasons or anything, but the fashion industry does not make flattering pants for my body type.  There's only 1 brand of jeans I know of that fits me, and that store is not located in my state.  I have 3 pairs of jeans, some sweats, and PJ pants and that's it for pants.  Otherwises it's dresses/skirts.

I would pay serious money for Beyonce and/or a random Korean girls group to film a video  singing, in harmony, ""Don't touch me there.  This is my private square"

IDK if it's the area I live in or because I'm 5'4 and maxi skirt are super unflattering on me but I always end up looking Hasidic when I wear longer skirts. Not that it's a bad thing but I'm not religious and refuse to be 'modest' looking. Plus maxi skirts just make me look huge. I carry my weight in the middle plus my lack of height, it's just not cute.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived