IGNORED

Lady Lydia Videos

formergothardite

16 hours ago, salex said:

In the 60s and early 70s when my mom had kids and babies at her table, she might use a cloth-backed plastic table cloth in the kitchen but for guests, it was a regular cloth.  My grandmother use a good cloth on Sundays even when all of her grandkids were at her table, but she had a plastic liner under the cloth, to shield the table from spills, not  to protect the table cloth. If spills were a a likely problem, use a more casual cloth.

When my kids were little and we were in a rental that had carpet everywhere, I had tablecloths that were a really nice heavy absorbent cotton, that soaked up spills. Plastic cloths just guaranteed spilled liquids would roll off the table onto the carpet before I had a chance to grab a towel. I also used actual glass with a thick bottom instead of plastic tumblers because they were less likely to tip.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another video and another cardigan. How many does she own? Does she ever sit around and list her cardigans? 

The blue ribbon flopping in her face is distracting. 

On February 13, 2016 at 4:10 AM, Crocoduck said:

There's one down the street from my house. I really like it. If I ever run out of reading material and don't have time to get to the library I can just walk down the road and grab something. I've put several paperbacks in there and it's nice to see someone's taken them the next time I check.

If birdhouses aren't your thing, you could build a Dalek.

dalek free library.jpg

Tardis not Dalek. 

21 hours ago, anniebgood said:

Tardis not Dalek. 

Apologies. My Dr. Who skills are weak and I stole this from a friend's Facebook post.

I've often wondered if Lydia writes some (all?) of the comments on her blog since they are nearly identical to her particular tone and style. I always laugh at the amount of "Oh, Lydia, you're so right, wonderful, astute, Godly, attractive, talented, fill in the blank!" 

I was reading the comments on her article regarding dignity and the home, and I think she may have tipped her hand.

At the bottom is a comment from "Mary", however it shows up under Lydia's name and avatar. Are my eyes seeing this correctly?

Mary apparently thinks Lydia is lovely, and she would like for Lydia to address keeping clean and looking presentable, because how can you be both when you are forced to wear jeans for gardening and cleaning?

Lydia, ever so plucky, promises she'll try to address the jean scourge that strips the home of all Godliness and feminity.

I suppose she could be posting comments that she received in email or something, but I am constantly amazed at the number of people who apparently are so fascinated with her cardigans or worry about the same huge problems Lydia worries about. 

In her latest video Lady Lydia says you don't need to confine your reading to cookbooks and home making, you can have other books about other intellectual interests. 

Oh! How nice to know! Thank you for permission, Lydia!

I kind of wonder what her intellectual interests are. I'd guess the history of doilies.

On 2/13/2016 at 2:57 PM, AmazonGrace said:

Just watched the hospitality video. She says that hospitality is a way that Christians show their love to others and there are great benefits for the hostess too, like learning to have polite conversation, and teaching your kids to love the  ceremony. She suggests that you start practicing by inviting people you are comfortable with, especially your children. Because children love to listen to the clanking of the spoons and how pretty the dainty foods are.

I'm learning so much from her videos. Only Christians invite people for tea. If you don't know how to have a polite conversation it's not too late to learn. When you feed your kids it's called hospitality. And children should be raised to appreciate the tea ceremony.

Mine are heathens, they never drink tea.

My daughter and son love them up some tea parties.  Tea parties are an excuse to take my good dishes out of the china cabinet and drink Coke and eat Oreos out of them while I sit by in another room yelling "Don't spill anything on the rug!  Don't break my Spode demitasse cups!  Don't put the good silver in the dishwasher!"

ETA:  I have been seriously considering selling both my "good" dishes (my everyday dishes are pretty damned nice, so it's not like we'd be eating off paper plates or whatever) and my crystal and silver.   I love these things, but you know what the most expensive thing I own and never use is?  The dozen little "strawberry forks" and other tiny little individual place setting pieces from my silver service.  

On 2/16/2016 at 9:16 AM, Marian the Librarian said:

Oh, you'd be surprised what people will put into the after-hours book return - I have some very entertaining stories! :pb_lol:

We add used book donations to our friends of the library book sale, if they meet the friends' posted criteria: no ancient encyclopedia sets, out of date college textbooks, full runs of National Geographic going back to the 1930s - you get the idea. If people ignore the posted criteria and offload that stuff onto us, it goes straight into the recycling dumpster.

I volunteer with the local Friends group, sorting books for the sales - we had a couple of good discussions about why Nat Geo doesn't sell at all, even though people seem compelled to save their issues.  I'll be the crazy outlier, though.  We got a massive donation of bound Nat Geo volumes going back to 1918, I think.  I brought home everything from 1918 through the Moon landings, and have had a great time reading some of the oldest ones (and marveling at how well the paper is holding up).  Best story so far is a husband, wife, and their dog paddling a canoe from somewhere in either California or Oregon, all the way to Alaska, back in the '20s.

We sell a lot of books every week, but we also recycle a crazy amount of books.  No one wants to buy 30-year-old psych texts, moldy anything, or half-used homeschool workbooks.  But if we ever start the FJ Lending Library, I've got a stash of fundy stuff to start the collection. 

Oddest donation yet may be the urn of cat ashes that we found in a box of books, with a note from the veterinarian.

@RandomTrivia, OMG!  I envy your collection of National Geographics!  I still remember some stories I read from 50 years ago: archaeology at Mesa Verde, a visit to the Shetlands and Faeroes, Jane Goodall among the chimpanzees of Gombe, the Leakeys work at Olduvai Gorge in Kenya.  No wonder I studied anthropology in college!

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@RandomTrivia, OMG!  I envy your collection of National Geographics!  I still remember some stories I read from 50 years ago: archaeology at Mesa Verde, a visit to the Shetlands and Faeroes, Jane Goodall among the chimpanzees of Gombe, the Leakeys work at Olduvai Gorge in Kenya.  No wonder I studied anthropology in college!

These were going to be recycled, so I snagged them post-haste.  The earliest ones are very light on photographs, but NG still had good photographers.  It's kind of freaky/surreal to be reading pre-WWI articles, about countries that aren't there anymore, when aviation was still a new thing.  I found some photos of Ireland in the mid-'20s, and an article with (if I recall right) the first photos taken from the air - a cross-USA trip in a dirigible of some kind, maybe military, and then there are the articles about the treks to the Poles.  They had some writers back than who were pretty recognizeable even today, presidents, explorers, that kind of thing. 

Now, sucker that I am, I feel like hunting down the earlier ones that I don't have, if that's even possible.  These are bound in 6-month volumes, and are mostly complete (I found a couple of pages with missing pictures), formerly the property of a VA hospital library.  They live in a pile in my basement right now, until the bookshelves are finished, and then I need to at least complete the pre-Moon Landing run.  I can live without the '70s and after, but I'd like to see the earlier ones.  I've got the CD-ROM collection, but it's just not the same. 

On February 11, 2016 at 11:58 PM, Mercer said:

Even if you are going to go for the shortcut and use bagged tea... the teabag, singular? For multiple people? That's going to be some pretty weak tea.

Has she ever actually done this? Or is her advice purely theoretical?

I, being as improper as hell, use a teabag for my tea. I had a spoon once where you put tea leaves in and strained water over/through it, but I gave it up rather quickly after closing the top of my finger in it... Anyway, teabag in mug, water over teabag, add sugar and milk, leave teabag in mug until tea is gone. It can get pretty dark towards the end there. 

My aunt was the one teabag per group kind of lady. I was at the end of the table at one lunch, and wound up with what was more of a pastel yellow water rather than anything I would call tea. As the person at the head of the table only had water one shade darker, I'm pretty sure it had been the prior day's teabag as well.:pb_razz:

They were predicting bad weather here last night (it ended up just being really windy and stormy).  But Lady Lydia would be proud of me.  I said to my husband, "Honey, screw securing the house and the things we might need if another tornado hits. Let's get real dressed up so people won't think we look tacky if we make the news".  First things first, after all.  :pb_rollseyes:

@the National Geographic collectors I have a plea on aytfj for anyone who might own the November 1986 number.

If you can't see it because it is on aytfj please PM me. Thank you all. 

National Geographic subscription was the best birthday present I ever got. It's still my favorite magazine.

Fun fact: I used to live by Joel Sartore, one of Nat Geo's most prolific photographers.

12 hours ago, Koala said:

They were predicting bad weather here last night (it ended up just being really windy and stormy).  But Lady Lydia would be proud of me.  I said to my husband, "Honey, screw securing the house and the things we might need if another tornado hits. Let's get real dressed up so people won't think we look tacky if we make the news".  First things first, after all.  :pb_rollseyes:

Me too. Sure we had tornado warnings and high wind warnings and flood warnings. But I did my hair, put on my best clothes and put on Jill level make-up just in case the news crews managed to make it to my house. I wouldn't want to shock and offend the Europeans who are, for sure, watching my local news by being poorly dressed at a time of a natural disaster. We must think of the Europeans and their delicate sensibilities. 

3 hours ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

@the National Geographic collectors I have a plea on aytfj for anyone who might own the November 1986 number.

If you can't see it because it is on aytfj please PM me. Thank you all. 

Rereading it sounds like I want to buy it or snatch it away from you :pb_lol: I absolutely don't, promised. I'm only interested in one picture. 

19 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Me too. Sure we had tornado warnings and high wind warnings and flood warnings. But I did my hair, put on my best clothes and put on Jill level make-up just in case the news crews managed to make it to my house. I wouldn't want to shock and offend the Europeans who are, for sure, watching my local news by being poorly dressed at a time of a natural disaster. We must think of the Europeans and their delicate sensibilities. 

Can't say how grateful for your gentleness and thoughtfulness we all are!

On 2/16/2016 at 9:23 AM, AmazonGrace said:

No no, you're doing it wrong. You are supposed to be in your nice clothing all the time, so you will be presentable even if the disaster strikes without warning. 

EddieHaskell.png

"Why, hello, Mrs. Cleaver. I'm just picking Wallace up to go to the hurricane. You certainly look lovely tonight." 

duggars.png.8d0b2d3f344b2dd19baf087c8540

"Big deal Haskell, we just walked out of a disaster zone and look how made up we are. The European press can come interview us any time"

3 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

EddieHaskell.png

"Why, hello, Mrs. Cleaver. I'm just picking Wallace up to go to the hurricane. You certainly look lovely tonight." 

I may have cried a little bit :pb_lol:

Lady Lydia is wearing PUFFED SLEEVES in her latest video! I always wanted puffed sleeves.

3dfd4-tumblr_lnqobbivnf1qb5fseo1_500.jpg

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 11:32 AM, DomWackTroll said:
  On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 10:23 AM, AmazonGrace said:

No no, you're doing it wrong. You are supposed to be in your nice clothing all the time, so you will be presentable even if the disaster strikes without warning. 

Do you need the pearls?  I understand about wearing proper clothing under my jammies just in case, but wearing pearls to bed might be dangerous (string breaks, swallow beads, choke).  Luckily I live in the heathen NE away from the coasts.  We get snow but no hurricanes, tornados etc.  Would the Europeans care if I'm wearing my pearls if they can't see them under the snow gear?  Should I wear them on the outside of my massive down coat?  I actually have an EU passport but have been gone long enough that I was completely unaware of the effect American storm related clothing had on their sensibilities.

Archived