IGNORED

Josh Duggar part 12 - Everyone has unclean hands...Go wash!

HerNameIsBuffy

6 hours ago, tumblr said:
9 minutes ago, PracticeMakesProgress said:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1692342/ - Link not broken because, science...

You natural redheads out there have a noted mutation in your MCR1 gene, which is *somehow* related to pain reception (the overall research is mixed as what exactly that role is, but there's a supported connection). The reason why dental work is particularly difficult is that pain experienced when a tooth is prepped is all thermal pain. The nerve receptors in your tooth pulp transmit only painful stimuli, though it's actually thermal stimulation from the thousands of RPMs cutting against tooth structure.

To the people who's hearts race - Epinephrine is a standard additive to local anesthetics to 1) reduce localized bleeding (helps limit post-op soreness/bruising), and 2) prolongs the effect of anesthetic so less may be used overall, because you can reach toxic doses of that stuff, no doubt. If you're really sensitive, ask your dentist about using Mepivacaine/Prilocaine plain (no epinephrine) - just keep in mind, if you're a fast metabolizer, lack of epi means quicker return of sensation.

Also, pay attention to when dental work sucks - was the dentist working on the top teeth? Or bottom? Anesthetizing the bottom teeth is notoriously harder because of anatomy. You have to block a large nerve blindly, you use physical landmarks/feel in order to know you're in the "right" spot. However, as we all know, people are different. If you're overweight or obese, it is actually harder to get you numb because a larger amount of adipose tissue in the tongue and along the ramus can obscure those landmarks used to block. Also, make sure your dentist know's how to do a quality mental nerve block, and ideally, can/is comfortable using an intraosseous system, as adjuncts. The latter will take care of those pesky lower molar teeth that just refuse to go down. It sounds very invasive, but it's actually no more difficult than a local injection (what you typically have for one tooth on the top). 

Lastly, by all means, find a dentist that at the very least can use nitrous oxide, and ideally can use oral/IV sedation. We live in a society much more capable and comfortable with anesthesia, there's no reason dentistry should be any different (it's tooth SURGERY, ya'll). It will cost more money, but if it means you actually take care of your teeth in a timely manner, isn't it worth it? Otherwise, you wait till you're in pain, and trust me, there's not a harder tooth in the world to numb than a hot one that's been festering for years. The mechanism of action of local anesthetics is completely neutralized, and you're going to hate each and every moment, just continuing the vicious cycle.

Take the above with a grain of salt - from a dentist who hates going to the dentist, too.  

Thank you for this information and reminding me of what the drugs are called. :)  I'm looking forward to reading that article.  

HERE is a link to a MacClean's article (Canada's Time Magazine...sort of) that clued me in on the realities of my experiences, over 6 years ago.  I finally felt 'heard' and could point people to this article, especially when I would hear the 'dental stories' in particular, as I figured they never knew about this gene. 

*Now it's my turn, I'm having trouble with quote boxes and unfinished posting...sorry, I missed that in an earlier one and never got to finish it.  My bad internet is probably, partly to blame. :P

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Flyinthesoup said:

Thank you for this information and reminding me of what the drugs are called. :)  I'm looking forward to reading that article.  

HERE is a link to a MacClean's article (Canada's Time Magazine...sort of) that clued me in on the realities of my experiences, over 6 years ago.  I finally felt 'heard' and could point people to this article, especially when I would hear the 'dental stories' in particular, as I figured they never knew about this gene. 

*Now it's my turn, I'm having trouble with quote boxes and unfinished posting...sorry, I missed that in an earlier one and never got to finish it.  My bad internet is probably, partly to blame. :P

That MacClean's article was very interesting, thanks for the link. :)

A few years ago I had a bad experience with a breast biopsy.  They used lidocaine.  I felt everything.  The doctors kept telling me I couldn't possibly be feeling what I was feeling.  They thought I was just freaking out for no apparent reason. (?) They called an extra nurse into the room to hold my hand which was nice, I guess, but not at all helpful.   >:(

After that happened I found this article and felt vindicated : http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/06/the-pain-of-being-a-redhead/?_r=0

The article that @PracticeMakesProgress linked to, is a great read.  I am not done, but will continue.  I just wanted to point out, I appreciate they brought in the thermal pain issue, too.  I only learned about this in the last 2 years.  In other words, those with the ginger gene (slang term), are more sensitive to cold and heat pain.  My husband, only recently, was able to identify with this.  From his experience, he's now been on the hunt to make my shower experience much better! :P  You know, flushed toilets that can cause temperature change.....or faucets in other places in the house turning on while you are showering.  

HERE is a news article just released today, for Canada, regarding New Colon Cancer Screening Guidelines.  A colonoscopy is not to be taken lightly.  There are risks to it, so I am glad to see these new guidelines.  I weighed very carefully, the pros and cons of such a procedure, before allowing it to be done.  Not the prep for the procedure, but the actual procedure and the risks involved with it..

So......do we have a date for Josh's release?  Do we know if anyone is keeping a watchful eye on the facility?  I miss watching the airplane! ;)

6 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

I hate to interrupt this riveting colonoscopy conversation; I was just wondering if anyone thinks this recent shift to dump Gothard will effect Josh's re-entrance into polite society. Sure they will still be fundies, but might Josh say influence from this really creepy guy was what sent him off on this path of self-destruction? I mean, we don't know what he might have witnessed at all these ATI conferences & camps; etc.

Just sayin'.

The "shift to dump Gothard" might reflect an effort on th ATI's part to disassociate itself from the "sexual misconduct" scandal.  If so, it might mean that there will be less tolerance for Josh than before. The sin may be forgiven, but never forgotten.

Since part of the purpose of dumping Gothard is to restore the image of ATI, I doubt that anyone in Josh's world would appreciate or sympathize with him if he argued that he is the victim of bad influences at ATI events.  But if he ever left the ATI world, then he definitely could do the "I had bad guidance and examples" act.

Meanwhile, my guess is that when he is next seen, he will be doing the Repentant Sinner, saved by the Grace of Jesus, act.

I wonder if his homecoming will be filmed.  

2 hours ago, gustava said:

Friday, February 26, 3 pm in an instagram

Where did you read this? Can you post the link please, or is it also in another place on FJ?

3 hours ago, gustava said:

Friday, February 26, 3 pm in an instagram

Is this release day for Joshley? Can't wait to see the first stealthy picture. Guess I'm bad. 

I think the Duggars are gently reintroducing their prodigal son; for the first time in months they posted a photo of Josh on their Facebook page. It's a throwback pic of Josh and 3 younger siblings eating popsicles.

A cute, sweet picture of their innocent young boy. Why, look how happy everyone is! Such a good, good boy...

So, I've been thinking about Joshley and what he'll do once he's completed his RU rehab. I know a lot of people have been hypothesizing that he'll do the whole Repentent Sinner thing with or without Anna at his side staring at him in mock adoration. But speaking in public is something he might want to avoid, as there will always be the possibility of people asking him questions he won't want to answer about the molestation and such. I think he just might opt to stay out of the limelight, by staying on at RU indefinitely, as counsellor when his rehab time is up. Wasn't there something on RU's website that a lot of their so-called graduates did this? If he does, Anna and the M's could even join him there. That way, he can do the whole repentent sinner thing and avoid nasty questions in public. What do you guys think?

6 hours ago, Season of life... said:

It's a throwback pic of Josh and 3 younger siblings eating popsicles.

OT, but I did think it was funny that Josh, Jill, and Jana had grape popsicles while John-David is eating that holy grail of popsicles (at least to me and my childhood friends): a Fudgesicle. I just think the difference is cute and funny.

Just now, gustava said:

I had started  new thread, to guess the day of Joshly's release, but I guess the mods merged it with this thread.  I agree it makes no sense.

Thanks. I was a bit confused at first and wanted to clarify what was going on. :)

Duggars FB just landed another hint (adding to the utterly creepy TBT peel-me-a-grape popsicle photo) that Joshly is emerging (or may have emerged).  Joshua 24:15...

Screenshot 2016-02-23 09.37.42.png

Josh is going to get out of "rehab"-I'm using this word liberally-very soon. The program runs 6 months, so he's due pretty soon. So what is he going to do?

As far as I can tell Anna has been living with the Duggars like she's an unmarried sister, either because women can't live independently, or just because single mothers of 4 kids can need help. I doubt that it's even occurred to her to get a job and support herself. Is she going to go straight back to their Arkansas house when Josh comes back? 

What is Josh going to do? Is he going to continue in the tradition of Duggar men and do random work for Jim Bob, who will pay all the bills? I think he might go back into the car sales business, even though I'm a little suspicious if that business actually made money, or if it was just something for Josh to do. He can work for himself or his dad, but beyond that he's unemployable. 

The real question is whether Josh will just go straight back to adultery and being a creep. I think he probably will. His "rehab" doesn't have any professional therapists and I don't think they're going to do him any help.  

37 minutes ago, sophrosyne said:

Duggars FB just landed another hint (adding to the utterly creepy TBT peel-me-a-grape popsicle photo) that Joshly is emerging (or may have emerged).  Joshua 24:15...

Screenshot 2016-02-23 09.37.42.png

Well, maybe Jeebus has saved Josh, who can come home and serve the Lord. And what about Poor Anna and the Ms. This does make me mad, for sure. 

I think he's home. Excepting one Famy Jebus-y post 23 hours ago (hashtag 'GodlyDating 101'), Duggar Instagrams have been quiet since the weekend. Duggars are bunkered in, prayer wagons circled, and all kinds of confession, coercive covenants, biblical affirmations, and forgiveness testimony underway. Seems safe to say too that Sierra orchestrated the reformers party games and unanimity decorations.

19 hours ago, sophrosyne said:

I think he's home. Excepting one Famy Jebus-y post 23 hours ago (hashtag 'GodlyDating 101'), Duggar Instagrams have been quiet since the weekend. Duggars are bunkered in, prayer wagons circled, and all kinds of confession, coercive covenants, biblical affirmations, and forgiveness testimony underway. Seems safe to say too that Sierra orchestrated the reformers party games and unanimity decorations.

just browsed that Godlydating101 IG page, and yikes!!!! it's so bad.

apparently God won't bless my relationships with people who aren't saved?  o, God forbid I date someone outside of my religion. how scandalous.

Wouldn't courting someone unsaved be a great way to save them?

....Forgive me, I used logic.

Wouldn't courting someone unsaved be a great way to save them?

....Forgive me, I used logic.

The short answer is that that's a terrible idea. I've seen people try, and it never ends well. Ok, it's ended up well once, and only once, that I know of.

And by terrible idea I mean from the perspective of fundy or fundy lites, or at the very least conservatives. Mainstream Christians probably don't care.

6 minutes ago, Trynn said:

The short answer is that that's a terrible idea. I've seen people try, and it never ends well. Ok, it's ended up well once, and only once, that I know of.

And by terrible idea I mean from the perspective of fundy or fundy lites, or at the very least conservatives. Mainstream Christians probably don't care.

Actually, I think you would be surprised.  I know many people who I would not consider very conservative Christians take the prospect of being "unequally yoked" very seriously.  

But they also have a point.  If you are religious, even if you are liberal and tolerant in your religion, it likely plays a part in your life and in your home.  If you form a new home with someone who is not religious or not of your religion, will you be able to still have religion play that role in your life and home?  And what about children?  It's not a trivial issue in terms of marriage.

It's also not limited to Christians.  My friend and his gf are actually putting off engagement because she wants him to convert to Judaism and agree to raise the kids Jewish, and he refuses to convert and wants them to be exposed to Lutheranism as well.  But that brings us back to dating someone "unsaved": if you date someone expecting them to convert, you may be in for a world of trouble if you fall in love with them and the conversion doesn't pan out.

6 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

Actually, I think you would be surprised.  I know many people who I would not consider very conservative Christians take the prospect of being "unequally yoked" very seriously.  

But they also have a point.  If you are religious, even if you are liberal and tolerant in your religion, it likely plays a part in your life and in your home.  If you form a new home with someone who is not religious or not of your religion, will you be able to still have religion play that role in your life and home?  And what about children?  It's not a trivial issue in terms of marriage.

It's also not limited to Christians.  My friend and his gf are actually putting off engagement because she wants him to convert to Judaism and agree to raise the kids Jewish, and he refuses to convert and wants them to be exposed to Lutheranism as well.  But that brings us back to dating someone "unsaved": if you date someone expecting them to convert, you may be in for a world of trouble if you fall in love with them and the conversion doesn't pan out.

It is actually a really good point.  If you want your kids raised x way, and they want y, its a huge problem.  I'm "unequally yoked" and it can cause issues, we work through them but you should know going in that it will be a problem!  On the other hand its only a problem if you care about your religion much at all.  My grandmother always warned my mother about it and was shocked when she found out my dad was Jewish.  

In the Southern Baptist church I went to as a kid, they used to tell the teens not to date anyone who didn't believe exactly as they did (religiously speaking) because it would destroy their faith.  They used a demonstration of having one person who represented the "good, Christian person" standing on a chair, which represented their moral superiority in all things, and the lowly heathen standing on the floor, representing all the base and low things that the Christian as a "good" person avoids at all costs.   Then they had the person on the chair try to pull the person on the floor up into the chair while they resisted and obviously fail.  Next they had the person on the floor pull the person off of the chair while they did not resist and succeed.  The point was to show that gravity hates Jesus.  Kidding.  They really were trying to illustrate their belief that it is much easier for a heathen to pull a Christian down to their level than for a Christian to pull the heathen up to their level, so best just live in an echo chamber and never expose yourself to anything that might make you think.  They really didn't get what this said about the strength of their beliefs and precariousness of their faith. 

55 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

Exactly. There's a big difference between avoiding "missionary dating" of any type while working through philosophical/religious differences with your SO, and acting as though dating anyone who's not exactly like you spiritually will cause you harm, like the youth group activity in @Hera's post

1 hour ago, justoneoftwo said:

It is actually a really good point.  If you want your kids raised x way, and they want y, its a huge problem.  I'm "unequally yoked" and it can cause issues, we work through them but you should know going in that it will be a problem!  On the other hand its only a problem if you care about your religion much at all.  My grandmother always warned my mother about it and was shocked when she found out my dad was Jewish.  

I agree that differing religious beliefs could be a real problem in a marriage, especially once you have children.  I do have one cousin who converted to Judaism before marrying her husband and it seems to have worked out just fine.  I think it's definitely an issue that a couple should discuss in depth if they are starting to get serious. 

A thing that I have been pondering is, when Josh is released will it be to big fanfare or hushed up? Also is there an indication as to when he will be released? I seem to have started google searching for him everyday and I kind of hate myself for doing it.

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived