IGNORED

Super Bowl Sunday

SPHASH

My fundie brother-in-law (and FIL) are coming over ... chicken wings and pizza ... I mostly watch for the funny commercials, whilst playing games on my laptop nearby.

When it comes to being the "typical, average male" I rather flunk ... sooooo not a physical sports fan. I am a fan of EuroRacing, though ... American racing is professional boredom to me. Though I must commend Red Bull for injecting some fresh blood into the arena with their new take on rally racing (their Rallycross series is superbly done, as is their revival of air racing).

The other fun part of Super Bowl Sunday, is that gambling is rampant. Maybe that's why the fundies are pissed off. That, and the fact that football is more interesting than sitting quietly in church. 

So. Anyone want to place their bets?

2 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

The other fun part of Super Bowl Sunday, is that gambling is rampant. Maybe that's why the fundies are pissed off. That, and the fact that football is more interesting than sitting quietly in church. 

So. Anyone want to place their bets?

When you watch football, you are sofa-sinning with Satan.

9 minutes ago, Firiel said:

I didn't understand the media not talking about Carolina.  I mean, they were powerhouses within the NFC the whole season, and people kept rambling on about the Seahawks.  The Seahawks had a fine team this year, and they had a good run going into the playoffs... but their record definitely didn't support the hype.

On the AFC side, I felt like everyone just kept talking shit on the Broncos and how they would never succeed this season.  Well, suck it, commentators!  They're in the Stupid Bowl!

(I should note that my feelings about the media coverage the Broncos got is likely colored by my "fan" status.  Persecution complexes are not limited to religion!)

Bears fan here. It's kind of nice that the commentators seem to think we was fucked from the start. It means we can usually meet or exceed expectations. 

My city/state doesn't have a team, so people tend to jump on bandwagons. Lots of Seattle fans, lots of Bronco fans, lots of (ew) Green Bay and (also ew) Pats fans. Fair number of steelers and 49er fans (oddly enough, these fans tend to be pacific islanders, can not figure out the steeler love, we are so far from Pittsburgh(?))and there is a Vikings fan club, for some stupid reason. 

I guess thats all to say GO PANTHERS! Down with horse teams! Go cats!

2 years ago on Super Bowl day, i was walking the dog and dislocated my knee.  Mr. CL had to meet the ambulance at the ER, then wait there for 3 hours to take me home while i was x-rayed and evaluated; we did get home before the game started, but he missed a lot of the pregame shows.  Last year, it was too cold and there was too much snow for dog-walking.  This year, it's 35 and sunny with zero snow, but I've been forbidden to dog-walk on principle.

Mr. CL is a die-hard Bills fan, but he never misses a Super Bowl.  i just don't care.  i do like the commercials, but few of them are spectacular.  and i really don't enjoy the halftime shows much.  i am spending the afternoon here and elsewhere online; i'll plug in the headphones and listen to youtube when i get tired of football commentary.

11 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I guess thats all to say GO PANTHERS! Down with horse teams! Go cats!

I'm just so glad the Broncos are playing a team I like.  It means I'll likely be able to remain a reasonable human being with perspective during the game.

Super Bowl, another 5000 calorie yearly event. The Mrs is in the kitchen as we speak.  Rootin for my Donkeys! :pizza:

15 minutes ago, CharlieScoop said:

Super Bowl, another 5000 calorie yearly event. The Mrs is in the kitchen as we speak.  Rootin for my Donkeys! :pizza:

GO DONKEYS!!! 

I couldn't be more thrilled about the super bowl! I LOVE football and have for years! I'm much more excited than my fiancé. This year the game is right in my city, which is fucking awesome! Also, I'm hoping the Panthers win. I'm a solid Seahawks fan, but a couple of friends will be playing for the Panthers today, so I'm supporting them. 

We are spending the day at home with me pretending to cook and yelling at plays that piss me off or are super exciting! The sad thing about today is the end of football season. Boo! 

1 hour ago, THERetroGamerNY said:

When you watch football, you are sofa-sinning with Satan.

This is too funny! :pb_lol:

I'm sofa sinning with Satan today! 

I sometimes wish I could get into it. I have a problem with the concussion thing too. Kid in my town had a bleeding brain hemorrhage in 7th grade during a game.He was out of school and in a rehab for three months and the dad kept going on about when his kid is coming back to play. Everyone was asking when he can play again. 

I went to my aunt's for the Super Bowl food.  Pulled pork out of the crockpot smothered in Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce, on sliders or with rice.  Vinegar slaw and hummus with pita chips, followed by brownies.

Most of us are Bronco's fans.

the Broncos won :) but I'm glad even though they kept shoving the mike into Peyton's face to ask about his plans, it was really Von Miller and the Denver defense that secured the game. And he (Von Miller) rightfully was named MVP. Aside from the Seahawks, they have the best defense in the NFL. 

Good Grief...my RL friends are rubbing off on me....I used to care less!

10 hours ago, Criscat said:

the Broncos won :) but I'm glad even though they kept shoving the mike into Peyton's face to ask about his plans, it was really Von Miller and the Denver defense that secured the game. And he (Von Miller) rightfully was named MVP. Aside from the Seahawks, they have the best defense in the NFL. 

Good Grief...my RL friends are rubbing off on me....I used to care less!

Aside from the Seahawks?  This year, they were the #1 defense in the league. (A couple years ago, that was different, of course!)

I'm also very glad Von Miller got the MVP. :) 

We love football in our house.  Sunday afternoons during football season are our favorite days.

Because we love football, we always joke that Super Bowl Sunday is the holiest day of the year.

Unfortunately we follow a team that's been lousy for years.  But, the one good benefit of that is we don't have to agonize throughout the playoffs, or get disappointed.

We'd be pleasantly surprised if they even made the playoffs. 

On February 7, 2016 at 1:24 PM, AnywhereButHere said:

Go Panthers! I'm the lone Pats fan in a sea of pain in the ass New Yorkers. My husband wisely shut up when I "gently" reminded him how comfy the couch was. :pb_razz:

Excellent! Sad to see how the Panthers played, but as Pats fans, we saw that Broncos defense twice this year. Pats one of the favorites for next year already, so should be another great season! BTW, I'm in North New Jersey, so I feel your pain! I hate it, but love it at the same time. Nice to rub it in Jets fans faces when the Pats win. :pb_glasses:

Archived