IGNORED

Hair Products

SpunkySpurgeonette

I hope this isn't too off topic for the forum....but I count my hair products as cosmetics....

What are your current favs?

I have "skinny" hair, and have just started using DryBar products.  Whoosh!  Big(ish) hair for the first time in my life!!  It's great!

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but it drives me crazy to see Aussie stuff all over the Duggar counters!

• Upvote 1

I like Tigi's Sleek Mystique Haute Iron Spray. I have the opposite problem, my hair is always BIG. This helps it lie a little flatter when I straighten it.

Curly Girl here.  My routine is a bit different.  I just ordered Deva Curl's Decadence No-Poo and Suoercream Coconut Curl Styler.  The shipping is free and I figure that ordering them is cheaper than going to Ulta and finding a bunch of other things I want/ "need".

I don't always use the DevaCurl products though.  I'm about out of both things and will use Renpure Cleansing Conditioner, Renpure Coconut Conditioner and Curls Creme Brûlée pretty happily.  I also sometimes use Kinky Curly Coiling Custard aka KCCC instead of the Creme Brûlée, but it does leave my hair a bit crunchier.

I never use heat on my hair or color it.  The stylist does use heat once every 6 weeks, but that's not going to damage my hair that much.  I use an old t-shirt to dry my hair a bit. Curly girls avoid terry towels on their hair and many of us never brush or comb or hair.  I still have a decent part and my hair doesn't look very messy. I just finger comb.

The Renpure line is made by the same family that developed the Aussie line.  They sold Aussie to maybe P&G? a few years ago and brought out Renpure.

Heck yeah hair products are cosmetics!  

My lastest favorites are Redken 25 Benefits and Redken Pillow Proof Blow Dry Primer.  Bad side effect of making me completely obsessed with how silky and great smelling my hair is...I'm a habitual hair player anyway :)

love them so much I blogged about them.  

skinny hair here, too...I've been on the prowl for a new shampoo - thanks for the recommendation @SpunkySpurgeonette.  

• Upvote 2

@PennySycamore I'm a curly/wavy too. I've not used any of those products, but I know of them. I am a big fan of using oil on my hair. Argan oil is a favourite of mine, I use it as a leave in and as a de frizzer. Coconut oil is a great pre poo hair treatment, it washes out well and leaves my hair shiny and silky. 

• Upvote 1

My hair is long, thick and now has a slight wave to it. For years I had stick straight hair, but a year or so ago it decided to get a wee bit wavy. 

For years I used Ojon. I loved that stuff. It made my hair look amazing. The owner decided to revamp the line. Whatever he did was not the same, so I went to Alterna Caviar Anti-aging line and have been using it for about six years now. I use the regular Caviar Anti-aging shampoo and conditioner. I also use the Rapid Repair spray for heat protection and for added benefit even on days I do not use heat. When I blow my hair out, I use Caviar Perfect Blowout Cream. I follow up with Caviar Oil and run a small amount through my dry hair. Once a week I deep condition with Caviar Replenishing Mask and leave it on for awhile. 

A few weeks back I decided to try Oribe, but I am just not digging it. I will use it up because it is rather expensive, even more so than Alterna, but the results do not compare to Alterna. I replenished my Alterna stash, so I will be going back to that soon. 

My mom is half Asian, my dad has bone straight hair and no one in my family has curly hair. It was only until I was 27 that I figured out it wasn't just super frizzy, but under all that poof was moderate curly hair. My family's answer to my bad hair was just to "brush more" and "turn the straightener heat up", all in all my hair was in pretty rough shape. I would use all the defrizzing products I could find and everything made my hair oily and fall flat, I would end up with triangle hair, sorta like Hey Arnold!

I now use the Smooth Infusion line from Aveda and it does super wonders for my hair. The only downside is that it's pretty expensive.

But the holy grail, hair product for me is The Wet Brush. I have lost less hair with the damn thing than with a traditional brush. I only use it in the shower and after that no more brushing for me!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Kak said:

@PennySycamore I'm a curly/wavy too. I've not used any of those products, but I know of them. I am a big fan of using oil on my hair. Argan oil is a favourite of mine, I use it as a leave in and as a de frizzer. Coconut oil is a great pre poo hair treatment, it washes out well and leaves my hair shiny and silky. 

The stylist that cut my hair short after years of years it long and either in a braid or up in a bun used Moroccan Oil which is basically argan oil on my hair.  It was super!  I wish this guy was still around, but he may have gone back to Italy.  He did not cut my hair dry, but he did a great job. My current stylist does cut my hair dry, but she is a bit more expensive and the parking at the salon sucks!  I alway get an early appointment if I can.

The DevaCurl products are expensive, but the No-Poo will last a couple of months even with washing everyday.  I'm going to track how long the Supercream lasts this time.  I love it -doesn't make my hair crunchy not leave it feeling vaguely dirty, but it might just be too expensive to use.

I was reminded of this tool this morning in Glamour:  a Hair Brush sponge which is basically just a car wash sponge with holes drilled into it.  You rub it on you head for a twist-out.  I think it would work best on really short hair.  You can buy one of Amazon (or maybe at CurlyMart.com) but some guys make their own.  There's a tutorial on NaturallyCurly.com

• Upvote 1

I love the Alterna Bamboo line. I tried the Caviar line, but the smell was just to strong for me. Right now i am ashamed to say I am using Aussie Moist. I got a pixie cut about 2ish years ago, so I don't worry too much about damage these days. I do miss my nicer stuff though. I will probably go back to Alterna next time Ulta sends me a 20% off. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have straight af, but shiny brunette hair. I always want more volume, and am always torn between whether I want to grow it out, or cut it back to shoulder length.

Shampoos(I rotate): LUSH solid shampoos:Seanik, Jason and the Argan Oil, Liquid: Jersey Bounce, Rehab, John Frieda Brilliant Brunette

Conditioners (Also rotated): LUSH veganese, Big, Jungle, John Frieda Brilliant Brunette

Treatments: LUSH roots (seriously, this stimulates your scalp, and makes your hair BIG. I let my hair dry naturally after using it, and it looks blow-dried) Aussie 3 minute miracle, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

I don't use much hair styling products, but I like the Giovanni Hair mousse.

I'm another fan of the Wet Brush, as I've always had fine, but wavy hair that was a PITA to brush out. It's really my holy grail of hair products, and I even got one for my 7 year old niece because she hates having her hair brushed.

Shampoo: Something for color treated hair as I get my gray hair colored on a regular basis.

Conditioner: Also for color treated hair

Treatments:(rotated) Aussie 3 Minute Miracle, coconut oil before shampooing, and an argan oil deep conditioner.

Thick, wavy hair here. I use Redken Curvacious shampoo and conditioner. I love it.

I went to the Curly Girl (Devachan) salon for a while. I liked it, but felt I came out looking like a poodle. It calmed down once I washed it. I couldn't get into their products. but they were helpful for my daughter when she was little, so we could get a comb through her hair with all the intense conditioner. Wish I had known about the Wet Brush then, sounds perfect.

Can't afford the Curly Girl salon now anyway.

I'm always annoyed when regular salons blow dry my hair straight. They get EXTREMELY upset if I ask them not to. I don't know why none of them can/want to do wavy hair, just more perfect than it dries naturally.

I have thick fine hair. I wash every couple days. I am currently quite enamored of the paul mitchell wild ginger products, particularly the leave in styling oil. i put it in when my hair is damp and twist it up, Somehow that makes all natural wave in my hair come out and it looks fabulously tousled for 2-3 days. And it smells good.

I have thick curly hair. I condition every day, and shampoo every other day. My shampoo is this little friend right here: My Shampoo, and then for conditioner I use Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine.

After I shower, I use the Aussie Leave-In Conditioner, and then Mousse so my curls don't go everywhere. :P

• 2 years later...
On 2/21/2016 at 2:07 PM, choralcrusader8613 said:

I have thick curly hair. I condition every day, and shampoo every other day. My shampoo is this little friend right here: My Shampoo, and then for conditioner I use Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine.

This thread has been dead for nearly three years, but I don’t know where else on FJ I ask for advice.

So...

My almost three year old granddaughter has a MASS of thick, very curly, but fine hair. We’ve tried so many regular products for curly hair, but nothing seems to work for longer than, maybe, half a day, w/o exaggeration. It winds up frizzy and tangled hopelessly.

I’ve been researching on my own, and just ordered two DevaCurl products from Amazon. I’ve also heard good things about Sebastian’s line, ‘Twisted’.

Do any of you have experience with either these products or with this type of out-of-control hair? There was a thread drift on one of the discussions a while back on the subject of caring for mega curly hair, but I can’t remember where it was, or I’d look there, first.

I’m wondering how much patience any of us can expect from this toddler while trying to care her hair. The thing is, when it’s first cleansed and conditioned, it’s gorgeous, but falls apart quickly before long.

Thanks!

That sounds like granddaughter's hair.  Daughter is using Honest shampoo and conditioner plus Loma spray leave in conditioner.  The Loma spray is marvelous for taming frizz and can be used daily.  Use lots of conditioner and let is sit for several minutes before rinsing it out.  

• Upvote 2

• 4 months later...

I used DevaCurl products with my daughter. She has thick, wavy hair with lots of knots. It made my hair a little greasy and had too strong a smell for me, but the conditioner let me comb her hair out after it was washed.

I don’t love Devacurl products but they’re decent enough. I think there are better options for curly hair. Bounce curl looks good but it is SO expensive. 

Have you read the curly girl handbook by Lorraine Massey? It’s a great starting point. 

• Upvote 1

I love the Knot today Leave In Conditioner from Kinky Curly and recently discovered the Sheamoisture products.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Maybe y'all can help. Years ago, Aussie had this fantastic de-tangling conditioner...I mean the tangles would just fall out as I rinsed my hair. I can't find it anymore....HELP!!!!!

9 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Maybe y'all can help. Years ago, Aussie had this fantastic de-tangling conditioner...I mean the tangles would just fall out as I rinsed my hair. I can't find it anymore....HELP!!!!!

No idea. But the Biolage Hydrasource Detangling Solution  works great for me. And I have very fine, very straight extremely tangly hair. It doesn't weight it down. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have tips for hair products for kids? I am so bad at girl stuff like hair- my own is extremely thick so usually goes straight into a bun while still wet. But now I have 2 daughters and they both have a lot of shorter hairs around their face. Could it be breakage from too much combing? They don't like having their hair down so it's usually pulled back and I don't know if that's the problem? My oldest has pretty thick hair but my younger has really thin hair. I see other little girls with perfectly smooth pretty hair and I don't know what I'm doing wrong to mess up mine! 

Any suggestions on affordable shampoo and conditioner? I keep trying to find some that won’t make my hair feel gross.