IGNORED

Anyone here follow "Beauty Gurus' online?

Vex

There are a ton of "beauty Gurus" on the internet who seem to know nothing about Makeup in spite of boasting of professional skills, there;s no evidence of such. They get overly defensive and will lash out and give way too much info while raging at the internet for dare questioning them. Pretty messy and fun if you like mixing together your fundie lolcows with your makeup crazies.

I don't. My mother was a cosmetologist, and she taught my sister how to apply makeup. My SIL's wife is a cosmetologist, and I ask for advice. She helped me with my makeup and hair for my wedding.

I do. I follow a few on youtube. Mostly for product reviews and haul videos. The overly glam make up tutorials most of them do are not really practical for me in my everyday life. Its pretty to look at though

I like the reviews, particularly for high end items. I watch a few different one because for example one has the same coloring as me, while another has the same skin type, and yet another has the same likes and dislikes.

I don't watch much of the tutorials.

I follow a few on Youtube as well. My favorites are Jackie Aina and Dona Camaj, mainly because they're both fucking hilarious.

Yes! I really like Emily Noel for drugstore reviews. She used to be newscaster, so she is very well spoken and easy to listen too. She's also somewhere around 30-ish, so closer to my age range and style. She has a huge makeup collection and seems to really know her stuff. She's one of the few who's opinions I trust. She does get a lot of products for review and I'm sure does have some sponsors, but seems to be honest. There are a LOT who are not- free stuff or a fat check buys the crappiest product a glowing review.

I also really like Vintage or Tacky, she's adorable does mostly mid to high end makeup reviews and tutorials. Tati (Glam Life Guru) is fun to watch for her (ridiculously priced!) Luxury Makeup Review series. 

I must admit I like to hate-watch a few beauty gurus and I feel like Jaclyn Hill is a perfect example of an overly defensive guru. She is constantly deleting posts on her YT videos that ask her to branch out and try a look that is not a warm smokey eye. I feel like every week she has a new scandal and a new whinefest.

I do, but most of them that I follow is for pure snark value. I mean, Outfit of The Day for a funeral? Vlogging about your makeup and outfit while in the same hospital room where your husband is passing a kidney stone? You can't make this stuff up. 

I don't watch any youtube-type gurus, mostly because I hate vlogs. Love reading blogs, hate watching vlogs.

That said, I have gotten a lot of beauty and makeup advice from Paula Begoun, at www.paulaschoice.com. It's how I learned about using AHA/BHA as exfoliants instead of granular scrubs and about serums. 

I also learned that I actually need moisturizer, despite my former impression that I have oily skin. I've learned to adjust my skin care based on the seasons, and I've found a lot of good products at Paula's website. My favorites are the Resist super antioxidant serum, the Resist smoothing daily 5% AHA, and the Resist daily fluid 50 SPF. My kids are using the Clear system for their daily care and it's working well for them.

Paula has a couple books which I found interesting. Honestly, I knew nothing about skin care or makeup before I read them - I kept to the bare minimum (mascara and smudged liner sometimes) and used products that were too harsh for my skin (Clinique).

Turns out I have rosacea, so my skin care is particularly important (and difficult!), and I'm glad I found some clinically based research supported products that have helped me deal with it.

So I guess you could say that Paula Begoun is my beauty guru.

On February 5, 2016 at 7:05 PM, pnutcolada said:

I must admit I like to hate-watch a few beauty gurus and I feel like Jaclyn Hill is a perfect example of an overly defensive guru. She is constantly deleting posts on her YT videos that ask her to branch out and try a look that is not a warm smokey eye. I feel like every week she has a new scandal and a new whinefest.

I can't watch Jaclyn Hill because of her weird obsession with highlighter. I don't know if I'm just sensitive to it because I have oily skin, but I don't get everyone's obsession with being "dewy" or "glowing" this past year. But that girl looks downright sweaty all the time. Too much shimmer.

I used to like Michelle Phan, except now I feel she has gone too commercial. Now, like every thing she uses is her pimping her makeup line.

Plus, like has been mentioned above, move of the beauty guru tutorials are irrelevant for every day. Especially when the "basic" look involves applying like 10 different products.

Archived