IGNORED

Airbrush makeup?

Gossamer1

Does anyone have any experience with airbrush makeup machines?  

I loved my Bare Minerals for years but as I have gotten older it really settles into the wrinkles under my eyes. 

I have rosacea with the accompanying redness and broken capillaries so I want something with good coverage that doesn't look cakey and doesn't make my wrinkles even more obvious.

I checked out Amazon and they have machines priced from $40 - hundreds of dollars. I have no idea what to look for as far as features go.

Would makeup that is watery enough to go through the airbrush needle provide enough coverage? Would it still settle into wrinkles? 

Those airbrush machines look interesting, but I'd be a bit concerned about inhaling aerosolized makeup.  

I find that good liquid foundation doesn't settle too much into my wrinkles -yet.  That may change in 20 years

I would suggest checking out a good moisturizing liquid foundation before you check out an airbrush machine. They have a pretty big learning curve from what I've heard. It's my impression that Temptu makes good airbrush stuff, though. Look at Camera Ready Cosmetics- that's where a lot of pros shop I think. Honestly I don't know enough about airbrushes to tell you more, so I hope my other suggestions are helpful and feel free to just ignore if they aren't.

In the moisturizing foundation department, I really suggest Smashbox 15 hour wear foundation (medium coverage, and buildable). This is what I use and it's a fantastic happy medium between moisture and staying power. I don't know how it manages to be moisturizing, never cling to dry spots, AND stay on my face, honestly. 

There's also a *fantastic* estee lauder one designed for older skin that i really love. Medium coverage and buildable as well, iirc. It's called Perfectionist, and it's a fairly new product. I can't remember why I didn't buy it- I think it broke me out. Estee lauder's foundation's are scented, but it's actually a light, pleasant scent. Can still cause breakouts in sensitive skin though.

I like to apply both of these with my Sigma f80 using a combo of buffing/stippling motions (classic but a goodie, and gives a fuller coverage). Using a good brush like this is so key imo. I personally prefer to go with medium coverage foundations and then add concealer where I need it instead of a full coverage- it's so hard to get the textures right on those, and they tend to cling to dryness and wrinkles, be cakey and wear badly. It's expensive, but if you don't already have a preferred concealer I really like Amazing Cosmetic's Amazing Concealer (very full coverage, but not drying) applied with the ELF Flawless Concealer Brush (it's a little less dense, which for some reason leads to better application with concealer IMO).

OK, sorry! I'm done with the word vomit

Links: 

http://www.sephora.com/studio-skin-15-hour-wear-foundation-P292403?keyword=SMASHBOX%20Studio%20Skin%2015%20Hour%20Wear%20Foundation%20P292403&skuId=1349380&_requestid=296283

http://www.esteelauder.com/product/643/31165/Product-Catalog/Makeup/Face/Foundations/Perfectionist/Youth-Infusing-Makeup-SPF-25

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-Beauty-Flat-Kabuki-F80/dp/B003UH0528/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454634809&sr=8-1&keywords=sigma+f80

http://www.sephora.com/amazing-concealer-to-go-P208606?skuId=1274968&icid2=amazing_cosmetics_must_haves%20_brand:amazing%20cosmetics_p208606_image

http://www.amazon.com/e-l-f-Cosmetics-84024-Flawless-Concealer/dp/B009FIR05Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454634938&sr=8-1&keywords=elf+flawless+concealer+brush (cheaper elsewhere)

Thanks for the "word vomit" I see some shopping in my future! 

One of the things I liked about Bare Minerals is the fact that it didn't make my face shiny.  Most liquid makeups tend to make my face look very greasy. I've tried various combinations of moisturizer , no moisturizer,  water based foundation,  oil based foundation and still I'm greasy looking within an hour or two.  

19 minutes ago, Gossamer1 said:

Thanks for the "word vomit" I see some shopping in my future! 

One of the things I liked about Bare Minerals is the fact that it didn't make my face shiny.  Most liquid makeups tend to make my face look very greasy. I've tried various combinations of moisturizer , no moisturizer,  water based foundation,  oil based foundation and still I'm greasy looking within an hour or two.  

Hmmm... You may want to look into more matte foundations, but those will probably sink into lines. I personally have really oily combination skin and my face doesn't get oilier than usual with the Smashbox, but if you have that experience with lots of liquid foundations it's definitely something to consider. I think you should try out some samples before you buy anything- you can go to a sephora or a counter in a department store for the brand you want and get samples to try for free (sephora gives up to 3 I think).

Another thing to look at is the Laura Mercier mineral foundation. It might keep you from getting oily like your Bare Minerals, but I've heard the Laura Mercier has more coverage, which could help with the rosacea. I don't know enough about the product to know how it would do on wrinkles though. You could always apply the foundation everywhere else but under the eyes and then use a moisturizing concealer under the eyes, which you would then set with a powder. The Amazing concealer and Rimmel Stay Matte (not very mattifying for long, but a good powder) is what I'm using now and its a good combo for preventing settling into lines. 

As a note, you will probably have the same problems re: oiliness with airbrush makeup that you have with liquid foundation, and since there are many more liquid foundation options out there it might be easier to look there.

I toyed with the idea for a long time about getting an airbrush system and read a boatload on it. I haven't tried one myself but watched a girl in Sephora (years ago when they sold the temptu system) get it done. My sales associate and I talked for a long time about it. She and what I have read say that don't go for a system that you can't get interchangeable pieces for.  You are better off finding a really good compressor and then finding an airgun and so on. If you want stupid easy then there is the non-pro temptu system but you are stuck buying their cartridges.

Another thing, 95% of all liquid foundations can be doctored up to work in an airgun. There are inexpensive pre-made mixes or you can make it yourself. I don't think moisturizing foundations are what make a airbrush foundation, it's water based ones. They just need to have a viscosity that is able to shoot out of the gun with a fine mist. After that it can dry to whatever finish. I have to say I think that you could fair better using airbrush being oily, at the end of the day you will be using less product but @Ofglen is right just because how you put it on isn't going to make the biggest difference. I will say that Laura Mercier silk cream foundation and both the original and oil free tint foundation was the worst money I ever spent on makeup. It would look lovely on dry skin types but if you are remotely oily it's just going to slide off before the day even starts. Also if you have those baby face hairs, the airbrush just makes those stand out. I would have to shave my face because I have so many of those suckers.

Do you prime your face? Use any setting sprays or mattifying creams or setting powders. I'm an oily SOB and I thought I would never be able to combat my oily face but I have found things to make it better. I will say my Clinique Power foundation grabs at every single line on my face, but my liquid clinique foundation doesn't do that at all. I have to use a layering technique to get it right. 

Keep us updated, I'm interested to see your opinions and how it works for you!

@Ofglen, the new Estee Lauder foundation is Perfectionist which I have used. The foundation is good, but I HATE the Perfectionist powder.   It's too damn dark.  EL discontinued their Lucidity powder for this crap.  I used to get  Lucidity powder in Transparent and it was perfect.  (Had been using it for 25 years except for Prescriptives Custom Blend for a while.)  The online reviews for Perfectionist powder are terrible.  The Perfectionist powder was so bad that I knew I'd have to find an alternative. I considered NARS and Laura Mercier among others.  I now use Lancome Teint Idole foundation and loose powder.  I like it so much better.

I finally ordered a machine today. It should be here in a week or so. I also ordered a sample kit of foundations and a cleaning solution.

I'll try to get a couple of before and after pics.

• 2 weeks later...

Well my machine and sampler pack of foundations came in last week!

There is definitely a learning curve to using the airbrush. The first day I wore it to work I gave myself extra prep time. It's a good thing I did since I had to wash my face and start over! I'm still learning how to get the makeup to come out at the rate I want it to.

The sample pack of foundations is from a  company called Glam Air. I am using the darkest color of the Fair samples. I should go a shade or two darker. There is no shine! At noon I check my makeup, there is no shine and the worst of my broken capillaries are  still covered. 

I have also noticed my face isn't itchy.

Archived