IGNORED

American Crime Story - OJ Simpson show!

Mrsaztx

So I didn't get my satellite hooked up until this morning so I have to catch the re-run (you can bet this series is #1 in my DVR lineup, though), but I can. Not. Wait! Has anyone else seen it? Is it as glorious as I hope it is? Sadly, because I will be watching it at 8 am I probably can't do it with a bottle of wine but you all can bet your sweet butts I'll be doing that in subsequent weeks!

I watched the first half maybe, and then fell asleep, but recorded the next airing. First impressions were not great, really. David Schwimmer is woefully miscast as Robert Kardashian, in my opinion, although they nailed his hair. I also thought, at least during the bit I watched, that his acting sucked balls.  I had a bit of a disconnect with Cuba Gooding Jr., although I really like him, in that when, as OJ, he became agitated, it felt like I was watching Jerry McGuire.  The story itself seems well done though, so maybe it will be good. I love me some true crime stories and hope this is good!  

Others may have a totally different impression, obviously.

Ugh, really? That bums me out, but I agree from what I've seen in the previews all of the actors appear to be really acting, but I kind of expect that kind of campy nonsense from Ryan Murphy shows. Also, wtf, John travolta? is television just one big "bad makeup and wig"-off between you and trump right now? Because I don't even know who wins, or is it loses(?) that competition

2 minutes ago, Mrsaztx said:

Ugh, really? That bums me out, but I agree from what I've seen in the previews all of the actors appear to be really acting, but I kind of expect that kind of campy nonsense from Ryan Murphy shows. Also, wtf, John travolta? is television just one big "bad makeup and wig"-off between you and trump right now? Because I don't even know who wins, or is it loses(?) that competition

Yeah, I forgot about Travolta. I noticed he's a producer but good god. They stuck the correct bushy eyebrows on him but, man, the hair and makeup is, um, disconcerting. But, don't despair, often shows like this get much better and you may not agree with my assessment anyway!  By the way, I really liked Glee :my_confused:!

Verdict: the stunt casting was a misstep, David schwimmer is and will always be Ross, and John travolta is acting so hard it hurts. Cuba goofing junior is playing hard on this simpering angle and I feel like that's the wrong angle after watching the specials on those tapes they recently released. discuss...

I saw it.  I thought it was extremely melodramatic, and the worst part is that I couldn't tell if that's what they were going for or if it was just bad acting.  Other than that, I will probably keep watching unless it loses my interest, and I am excited to learn more about the OJ story, because I honestly don't know anything about it.  I didn't even realize it was his ex wife who was murdered, so yeah I live under a rock or something.

Aaaaaand we're back. I watched some interview with actual Robert Shapiro and he did none of that weird shit travolta is doing. It's almost as if he's doing a bad impression of Brando in the godfather, with that chin jutting and not opening his teeth to speak and the weird head tilt. And he had very dramatic and very iconic eyebrows and they aren't at all what is going on in the show. And tv OJ's voice, why is it all raspy like that? Real OJ doesn't sound like that. Aside from the travolta distraction I'm enjoying tonight's episode though. But what's with that weird cut away to the Kardashian girls? It's almost like they want to say "see, they've always been insufferable and self centered, even when a close family friend is trying to kill himself."

16 hours ago, Mrsaztx said:

Aaaaaand we're back. I watched some interview with actual Robert Shapiro and he did none of that weird shit travolta is doing. It's almost as if he's doing a bad impression of Brando in the godfather, with that chin jutting and not opening his teeth to speak and the weird head tilt. And he had very dramatic and very iconic eyebrows and they aren't at all what is going on in the show. And tv OJ's voice, why is it all raspy like that? Real OJ doesn't sound like that. Aside from the travolta distraction I'm enjoying tonight's episode though. But what's with that weird cut away to the Kardashian girls? It's almost like they want to say "see, they've always been insufferable and self centered, even when a close family friend is trying to kill himself."

I think the cut away to the little Kardashians is supposed to be a mixture of irony (i.e., Kardashian, Sr. trying to impart higher ethical ideals onto a group of kids we know will grow up to be amoral famewhores) and also to show the connection between the OJ Simpson trial and the modern reality TV landscape. I read a really good article, maybe in Vanity Fair, that illustrated just this point, showing that even Monica Lewinsky, Paris Hilton, and the kids from "The Hills" had OJ Simpson connections. Kris Jenner has been appearing on shows about the OJ Simpson trial lately, so I guess it really is coming full circle.

I've tried watching a bit of the first episode, but I'm not sure I want to commit to twenty hours about the OJ Simpson trial, since I vividly remember the real thing. It's gotten good reviews, but it seems like David Schwimmer, Cuba Goodign, Jr., and John Travolta are miscast to the point of distraction. The portrayal of Marcia Clark seems intriguing, because it seems like she's painted as a noble but flawed heroine, trying to bring attention to domestic violence and failing horribly. I'd be interested to read other FJ opinions about this series.

On 4/2/2016 at 1:33 AM, Fascinated said:

Yeah, I forgot about Travolta. I noticed he's a producer but good god. They stuck the correct bushy eyebrows on him but, man, the hair and makeup is, um, disconcerting. But, don't despair, often shows like this get much better and you may not agree with my assessment anyway!  By the way, I really liked Glee :my_confused:!

Glee was great. But suddenly, Ryan Murphy started to crap all over the place. I tried to watch the Last season, but I couldn't handle it. He took the evolution of the characters and threw them against a wall. They became sad and one-dimensioned. And AHS is going throw the same path

Idk, I don't mind David Schwimmer, it's nice to see him in a serious role. Then again, I also think that they should have cast an Armenian actor as Robert Kardashian Sr instead of a Jewish guy, but that's my opinion.

I'm interested to see where it goes, I was way too young when this happened to remember anything about it, so that may also be affecting my opinion.

While i was seein the cast for this series in wikipedia, i pressed the robert kardashian link instead of the david schwimmer. When i saw the pictore, all i could think was "gosh, david has really let himself go"

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually really enjoying it!  Yes, it's over the top and quite melodramatic, but I wasn't really expecting nuanced performances.  It's gossipy and a bit campy.  It's kind of nice to go back in time...I was a young adult when the whole OJ thing went down...and I was pretty obsessed at the time.  

Anyone else enjoying it?

I can't get past Travolta as Shapiro and Cuba Gooding as OJ.  Just poorly casted there, but otherwise it has been interesting to watch.

We're totally into it over here. We were both in school when all of this went down so we didn't see the trial. Mr.D remembers the teachers stopping class to watch the verdict. I was at boarding school so I saw news recaps of the bronco chase and the verdict (they showed the glove not fitting during the report). Being only passingly familiar with the details, we're enjoying it.

I actually don't mind Ross as Kardashian, but orange Travolta is a bit distracting. 

The slow car chase happened shortly before my high school graduation, so it was one trial I know I was obsessed about, as was everyone else. The chase itself was even on the freeway that's closest to where I live, but I didn't try to go to one of the overpasses to see the Bronco passing underneath. During the trial, one radio station had a quick "OJ Sidebar" jingle they would play during those points so even if you weren't watching the trial at the time, you knew there was a sidebar discussion with the attorneys.

As for the miniseries, I quit watching when they showed the Kardashian children complaining when their dad's last name was mispronounced.

I've been following this and saw the 4th episode tonight. I didn't really follow it well though tonight as I had a long day and super tired. I will catch a repeat though later in the week.

So far I am enjoying it and finding it interesting, even though some of the casting is off, or maybe it's the acting!

I actually  don't know the story very well, and not familiar with a lot of the characters appearing. I was youngish at the time so I didn't follow it closely as it happened. 

I recently saw a programme called 'Autopsy: The Last hours of' Nicole and Ron, and was really the first time I learnt details surrounding the murders. Then this series started shortly afterwards  so I am glad to learn more and watch the court drama unfold, as I missed out on it in real life. I can't believe he got away with it.

The constant mentions of the Kardashians is annoying though (maybe cos I can't stand them anyway and they don't need more attention). The kids chanting Kardashian over and over at the tv was lame.  I could do with less of the K kids being shown definitely.

I just wonder if there's some Kardashian money involved in making this thing. They are literally completely irrelevant to the story. 

I'm glad we have this thread. This is on in Aus at the moment and I've avoided it. David Schwimmer - nope. Fluoro Travolta -nope. Kardashians in general -nope. You guys are reinforcing my decision not to watch.

And I must say, I watched the original events from afar, and have since read a couple of books about everything, and I still can't believe he wasn't convicted. 

On 8 March 2016 at 7:28 PM, Blahblah said:

I'm glad we have this thread. This is on in Aus at the moment and I've avoided it. David Schwimmer - nope. Fluoro Travolta -nope. Kardashians in general -nope. You guys are reinforcing my decision not to watch.

And I must say, I watched the original events from afar, and have since read a couple of books about everything, and I still can't believe he wasn't convicted. 

Ditto on absolutely everything you said.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been enjoying it, I remember being fascinated with this case at the time and I have watched other dramatizations of the OJ story and, bad casting aside, it's an interesting take on the story.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I am loving it in the can't wait to watch way. I was a twenty something living and working near LA and maybe because we were all so into it at the time it makes the show interesting to me. I agree that I have a hard time with some of the casting and performances but I can look past it and enjoying it! 

I studiously avoided as much of the trial as humanly possible back in the 90s. I just got so sick of hearing the breathless wall-to-wall coverage. I wasn't sure I'd want to watch ACS, but decided to give it a try, mostly because I like many of the actors. I was so pleasantly surprised at how well written and acted it was. Sarah Paulson as Marcia Clark and Courtney B. Vance as Johnnie Cochran were standouts in my mind. As much as I like John Travolta, I thought he was distracting.

Last night's finale was so interesting. I especially love the music selections. The song that plays in the background of O.J.'s homecoming party, where the singer keeps repeating the line "sad and free" is an especially good choice. I also liked the Schubert piano sonata at the very end and the fact that O.J. was not the last image shown.

I read today that the next ACS miniseries is supposed to be about Patty Hearst. That should be interesting.

Archived