IGNORED

Emily from wayback ago. .

snowgirl

13 hours ago, Vex said:

Always hope for updates of their misadventures, always disappointed. *rye smile*

Not snarking on you, but I had to look this up because I knew something was awry. 

I laughed at myself!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like to think they have mellowed out some and now either buy their lettuce from the grocery store or grow it in the ground like normal people.

I thought they were up to 5. Didn't they separate, though? I vaguely recall Dna posting about the kids visiting. 

They did buy a house. Jury was out on whether it was in liveable condition. The last pictures I saw were of some of the boys in a small dark-paneled room.

And the roof had a tarp over it, or at least part of it.

I remember the home was in really rough shape. I can't imagine how tough it would be to survive a winter in Maine with a roof that is completely shot.

OMG I fell down this rabbit hole when I first joined FJ. I forgot about them. I thought they were divorced. If Emily has a facebook with no more Emily-isms, I'm glad to hear she may have actually acquired a brain somewhere. 

3 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

OMG I fell down this rabbit hole when I first joined FJ. I forgot about them. I thought they were divorced. If Emily has a facebook with no more Emily-isms, I'm glad to hear she may have actually acquired a brain somewhere. 

I think the only reason there are no more Emily-isms is that the FB is private. I can't see her giving up on those no matter how much her perspective shifted.

I thought of her earlier this week when I was looking at loose garlic priced at $2.99/lb. 

For those of you not familiar with Emily, she refused to pay more than $1/lb for produce. There was no balancing $1.29/lb green beans with .59/lb carrots. Nope. She wouldn't think of buying garlic for $2.99/lb, even though one stinking head (see what I did there?) would cost about .63 and would impart so much flavor to her cooking.

Her financial rigidity at the expense of her family's health boggled the mind.

5 hours ago, moreorlessnu said:

I thought of her earlier this week when I was looking at loose garlic priced at $2.99/lb. 

For those of you not familiar with Emily, she refused to pay more than $1/lb for produce. There was no balancing $1.29/lb green beans with .59/lb carrots. Nope. She wouldn't think of buying garlic for $2.99/lb, even though one stinking head (see what I did there?) would cost about .63 and would impart so much flavor to her cooking.

Her financial rigidity at the expense of her family's health boggled the mind.

Also, the ever blessed tube meat from the Dollar Store. She was delusional about a lot of things. And remember how she bristled when the baby was in ICU at the children's hospital in Portland, and they had to eat processed things like cookies and potato chips? And how the baby ended up in ICU? Dna getting hit by a car walking to Wednesday night services in a snow storm.

That's a rabbit hole I don't think I want to revisit. 

And the worst thing was that she came from money. She had parents who would have supported her and the children. She rebelled by marrying Dna who was as poor as a church mouse and she decided she would be frugal to the point of stupidity. 

Yes, Emily - that blog was like some BIZARRE home-ec class project.  Don't forget the recommendation that you could increase portions by simply making more small portions!  And using up old spices ( from when they were married, but totes okay because she ground them up more)!  Her insistence on informing us that they were doubling up on lacto-fermented condiments after they got all stopped up at Ronald McDonald House.

The old blog (sans pictures) is still up if you need a fix.

18 minutes ago, anniebgood said:

Also, the ever blessed tube meat from the Dollar Store. She was delusional about a lot of things. And remember how she bristled when the baby was in ICU at the children's hospital in Portland, and they had to eat processed things like cookies and potato chips? And how the baby ended up in ICU? Dna getting hit by a car walking to Wednesday night services in a snow storm.

That's a rabbit hole I don't think I want to revisit. 

And the worst thing was that she came from money. She had parents who would have supported her and the children. She rebelled by marrying Dna who was as poor as a church mouse and she decided she would be frugal to the point of stupidity. 

Oh god, the tube meat (she hated when we called it that!). And wasn't she pretending that all of this was adhering to some back-to-the-earth eating plan that a few fundie homesteaders were fans of? I forget the name of the book.

I think she claimed she followed Nourishing Traditions by Weston Price, which is all about soaked grains, lacto-fermentation, etc.

But it's been a while so I could be remembering wrong.

On 2/4/2016 at 11:53 AM, JillsFlowerHeadband said:

Everything cooked in that crock pot. I shudder to think of the condition of the  inside of that thing. 

wasn't she the one who made gloodles in the crockpot?

4 minutes ago, catlady said:

wasn't she the one who made gloodles in the crockpot?

Yep! That's Emily! Flour and water, how delicious. :my_sick:

1 hour ago, DaffyDill said:

Yep! That's Emily! Flour and water, how delicious. :my_sick:

Yep. And I never could get past her refusal to use the oven/stove because it used too much electricity. Utilities were included in her rent!!

So I have to ask, because if we have it here it's called something else entirely and we don't sell it in Dollar Stores... What is "tube meat"?

Is it what we would call minced steak (though I think that's ground beef in the US), or sausage meat squeezed into a plastic tube shape? Or something different? It sounds awful, but I don't really know what it is...

12 minutes ago, DaffyDill said:

So I have to ask, because if we have it here it's called something else entirely and we don't sell it in Dollar Stores... What is "tube meat"?

Is it what we would call minced steak (though I think that's ground beef in the US), or sausage meat squeezed into a plastic tube shape? Or something different? It sounds awful, but I don't really know what it is...

It is ground beef of uncertain provenance, packaged in 1# plastic tubes, sold frozen. It's cheap because it has pretty high fat and water content.

5 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

It is ground beef of uncertain provenance, packaged in 1# plastic tubes, sold frozen. It's cheap because it has pretty high fat and water content.

Yep. Think of it like a shorter, fatter, tube of cookie dough. Except not delicious. I've seen it sold refrigerated, not frozen.

Unknown provenance AKA "Pink Slurry." I dare people to look it up if they don't know what Pink Slurry is.

15 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

Our dog won't touch the stuff. It must be pretty bad. (We don't buy it either, but she came to us eating a raw diet and I innocently bought tube meat for her. Disgusting stuff.)

Pink slurry -- is that like pink slime, of McDonald's fame?

I used to love Big Macs in college -- they were my once-a-week treat, as I was living on Ramen noodles, canned tuna, box macaroni & cheese, and peanut butter for the most part--my dad gave me a case of each when he dropped me off, junior year, living off campus (cheaper than dorm fees, and no cafeteria plan). It was awful, but cheap and filling. I just bought the occasional loaf of bread to make sandwiches with the peanut butter. And probably frozen veggies. I don't remember anymore.

I think a Big Mac was a buck on Fridays, in those days.

The main objection to the coffee can lettuce (apart from the fact that you can't grow enough lettuce to feed a family of five in a coffee can) was that she used styrofoam peanuts for drainage under the soil, so whatever chemicals styrofoam is made of was leaching into her lettuce.

Also - "We don't need to go to the dentist. Dentists are a luxury - we take care of our teeth." Followed by a picture of Dna and his teeth are all black and rotten.

On February 4, 2016 at 3:19 PM, adidas said:

They had the 4 boys when she was blogging. But after she stopped blogging, according to Dan's FB they had Edmond Hilleary and Yosef.

Did they have Edmund Hillary and Yosef or Edmund, Hillary and Yosef? Was Hillary a middle name or a first name?

21 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Did they have Edmund Hillary and Yosef or Edmund, Hillary and Yosef? Was Hillary a middle name or a first name?

Edmund Hillary is one child, though the actual spelling is unclear because... well, Dna. Assuming he was named for the adventurer and secular philanthropist, which is highly interesting. The names are both too unusual to be a coincidence.

Archived