IGNORED

Mandatory Fitness

refugee

1 hour ago, polecat said:

I wear hot, itchy, heavy-duty compression garments 21 hours a day

This is a bit OT, but I'm wondering if you have any good suggestions for a even remotely comfortable (I can live with hot and itchy, but not super uncomfortable) leg compression garment?

I suddenly started having extreme swelling in one leg a few months ago.  All the usual stuff has been ruled out (ie: no blood clots or cellulitis).  When all the tests come back ok everyone just gives up and is like well it sucks to be you and stops trying to find answers.

My leg is so swollen that often times it's rock hard.  My foot has rolls in it, which I didn't even know was possible.  My ankle looks like there is an orange stuffed under the skin.   No matter what I do it never relieves the edema (limiting sodium, I'm on a water pill already, laying down, moving around more, etc) and I'm so over it.

I was thinking of trying a compression sock, but the regular ones are so uncomfortable and hard to put on/remove, I don't want to subject my husband to one more horrible task for me.    Ideally I'd like something that either ends well below the knee or extends above the knee because all the compression socks I've tried end right exactly at the middle of my knee cap and are so tight there that I get sores on the backs of my knees.

(A pm is fine if you don't want to put everything in public.  I decided to post here in case other people might have suggestions)

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Curious have you ever tried compression socks that have zippers? I wonder if you could leave the top part unzipped a bit. I wonder if you used longer ones that went to your thigh wether that would keep it from hurting behind the knee?

On 2/6/2016 at 5:30 PM, Maggie Mae said:

It's a private college, and there is no requirement to go to that particular college, or even college at all. 

Even at private colleges, you retain many rights.  If women were required to undergo yearly exams to verify virginity by intact hymens, would you say the same, or see that as a violation of bodily integrity and autonomy?

Your mindset that you don't have to go to any college at all is the justification people use to say that bakeries should be allowed to deny service to same-sex couples.

14 hours ago, FundiesInParis said:

Herbal tea's are fine, and I don't think caffeine has anything to do with it because the Mormons I know drink soda

I'm in a heavily Mormon area.  Soda with caffeine is a no-no, but a lot of Mormons allow themselves this single small luxury that even Terri Maxwell deprives herself of.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 7:04 PM, MatthewDuggar said:

I wouldn't mind this, but the required steps thing is a bit much.  We had a phys ed requirement at my university.  I took CPR and Ballroom Dancing. 

I just took CPR/First Aid for my Kinesiology requirement... and I took it online at that!

3 hours ago, Jingerbread said:

snipped

I'm in a heavily Mormon area.  Soda with caffeine is a no-no, but a lot of Mormons allow themselves this single small luxury that even Terri Maxwell deprives herself of.

I also live in an area with a large population of Mormons. Years ago, I could usually pick out the missionaries who came through the fast food drive thru where I worked. Their orders of fruit punch and root beer were one tip off. I never did point out that our Barq's root beer was caffeinated. :my_biggrin:

5 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

@Curious have you ever tried compression socks that have zippers? I wonder if you could leave the top part unzipped a bit. I wonder if you used longer ones that went to your thigh wether that would keep it from hurting behind the knee?

I didn't know compression socks with zippers even existed.  Clearly I'm not trying to shop in the right places.   I'm also not very creative because I didn't think about just getting thigh length.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm going to check into the zipper idea because that would be much easier for my husband than putting on the regular ones.

11 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

Yep, they do have thigh high compression. Not sure if it rolls or not (just remembering the misery of thigh high pantyhose, lol). But it might be more effective. 

On Thursday, February 04, 2016 at 6:38 PM, polecat said:

No coffee or tea?

Hell no.

When I was growing up it also included cola drinks and Dr. Pepper. . . .  But then the church brought a Coca Cola bottling factory, and as a teen, Coke became A-Okay.    So caffeine is a bad drug in hot water, but fine in a cold phosphate drink.  I was already out the door, so I just noted it, an carried on.  My non-exiting relatives took a few more years to stop noticing. 

As a University of Utah student, was grateful that BYU syphoned off the least able of the state's students.  Which may not have been true, but that was our view.  The U was/is a damned good school. When I was there, the department head taught at least one freshman class per quarter.  Which as a freshman, is an amazing experience!

I think the requirements were one health class and two PE classes.  But since basic tuition (no student loans then) covered 18 hours, I always ended up taking one or two a quarter--"since they were paid for already". . . .  took multiple diving and swimming classes, including, finally, livesaving, and fencing for five or six quarters until my last partner dropped out.  Sports that have to do with running or balls never interested me, even as a small child.  Swimming did because I nearly drowned once. Loved the sheer precision of fencing. 

16 hours ago, Curious said:

I didn't know compression socks with zippers even existed.  Clearly I'm not trying to shop in the right places.   I'm also not very creative because I didn't think about just getting thigh length.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm going to check into the zipper idea because that would be much easier for my husband than putting on the regular ones.

I didn't know of any that had zippers, either!  But I did live with a man who wore toe to crotch compression stockings for half his life  (wrecked/wrenched/shredded his inferior vena cava just at crotch level).  I never put them on for him, but the slow process became a sort of sweet blessed part of our mornings and bed times--oddly *gathering* and intimate. 

The accident that did the damage happened on stage (The Folger in DC) whilst playing a Roman soldier.  He was most proud of not leaving the stage, but spent two weeks in the hospital after. . . .  Don't happen to have any pics of him then, but this was taken a few years later, when he played a drill Sargent on The Waltons:

56b7e28181b50_evenmore.PNG.206e3adeb13d6

On 2/7/2016 at 8:24 PM, Curious said:

This is a bit OT, but I'm wondering if you have any good suggestions for a even remotely comfortable (I can live with hot and itchy, but not super uncomfortable) leg compression garment?

I suddenly started having extreme swelling in one leg a few months ago.  All the usual stuff has been ruled out (ie: no blood clots or cellulitis).  When all the tests come back ok everyone just gives up and is like well it sucks to be you and stops trying to find answers.

My leg is so swollen that often times it's rock hard.  My foot has rolls in it, which I didn't even know was possible.  My ankle looks like there is an orange stuffed under the skin.   No matter what I do it never relieves the edema (limiting sodium, I'm on a water pill already, laying down, moving around more, etc) and I'm so over it.

I was thinking of trying a compression sock, but the regular ones are so uncomfortable and hard to put on/remove, I don't want to subject my husband to one more horrible task for me.    Ideally I'd like something that either ends well below the knee or extends above the knee because all the compression socks I've tried end right exactly at the middle of my knee cap and are so tight there that I get sores on the backs of my knees.

(A pm is fine if you don't want to put everything in public.  I decided to post here in case other people might have suggestions)

I have mild lymphedema in my arm and chest as a result of cancer treatment. I sometimes wear a sleeve made by Juzo which is reasonably comfortable. (I am lucky that I don't have to wear it every day.) They make  a variety of leg garments too, so maybe they would have something for you. It's important to measure to be sure it fits correctly, though. I once tried a gauntlet that was too tight over my hand and it made things worse.

Just wondering, have you seen a certified lymphedema therapist? I'm sure there are many possible causes of swelling, but since you don't know the cause of yours it might be worth investigating. Most doctors don't seem to know much about lymphedema.

(Apologies if you've already done that and I'm giving unnecessary advice!)

This website mostly talks about lymphedema as a result of breast cancer treatment, but they do have information about finding therapists.

http://stepup-speakout.org/

4 hours ago, turquoise said:

I have mild lymphedema in my arm and chest as a result of cancer treatment. I sometimes wear a sleeve made by Juzo which is reasonably comfortable. (I am lucky that I don't have to wear it every day.) They make  a variety of leg garments too, so maybe they would have something for you. It's important to measure to be sure it fits correctly, though. I once tried a gauntlet that was too tight over my hand and it made things worse.

Just wondering, have you seen a certified lymphedema therapist? I'm sure there are many possible causes of swelling, but since you don't know the cause of yours it might be worth investigating. Most doctors don't seem to know much about lymphedema.

(Apologies if you've already done that and I'm giving unnecessary advice!)

This website mostly talks about lymphedema as a result of breast cancer treatment, but they do have information about finding therapists.

http://stepup-speakout.org/

Another member PMed me about the possibility of lymphedema.  I've never heard of it and apparently neither have any of my drs because you'd think they might have mentioned it by now.   I have 2 dr. appts on Thursday so I'm going to ask both of them and see if we can work toward either ruling it out or getting proper treatment if it's the cause.

Fortunately, all my drs are great about listening to me and helping me get necessary testing if I put forth a theory they haven't considered.

On 2/7/2016 at 11:32 PM, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I also live in an area with a large population of Mormons. Years ago, I could usually pick out the missionaries who came through the fast food drive thru where I worked. Their orders of fruit punch and root beer were one tip off. I never did point out that our Barq's root beer was caffeinated. :my_biggrin:

It pisses me off to no end that Barq's adds caffeine to root beer. I cannot have caffeine anymore and I hate Sprite/Sierra Mist, etc...and occasionally when we go out, I like a soda. I can barely have alcohol anymore either, so it is my big treat.  But stuff like this happens now: 

Me to waitress Saturday night: What kind of root beer do you have? 

Waitress: I don't know. Just regular root beer. 

Me: Is it Barq's? 

Waitress, sighing: I don't know. It's root beer. Why would you even care? 

Me: Just bring me a water. 

I did not grow up drinking tea. After hearing about all the health benefits, I bought some green tea and tried it. It was beyond awful, tasted like hay. I spat it in the sink and threw out the entire pack. But I keep reading about all the health benefits of various teas. Do any of them actually taste good? Or is it an acquired taste??? I thought maybe I'd buy an "assortment" package in the hopes that I could choke one down. Any advice for a tea newby?

16 minutes ago, snickerz said:

I did not grow up drinking tea. After hearing about all the health benefits, I bought some green tea and tried it. It was beyond awful, tasted like hay. I spat it in the sink and threw out the entire pack. But I keep reading about all the health benefits of various teas. Do any of them actually taste good? Or is it an acquired taste??? I thought maybe I'd buy an "assortment" package in the hopes that I could choke one down. Any advice for a tea newby?

As a Brit I'm a tea lover - never tried green tea, just regular black.  Not sure if it is an acquired taste - it was just something I grew up with.  

There are so many different types of tea that it may be worth trying an assortment pack.

On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 7:33 AM, Curious said:

I was diagnosed with a bad blood clot in 2014.  The swelling was crazy - just like you are describing (I know that you said clots had been ruled out).

I tried over the counter compression stockings but, because I'm only 5' tall they were way too long and folded over themselves.  My doctor then arranged made to measure which, although I would never call them comfortable, were better.

21 minutes ago, snickerz said:

Oh, I love tea! Iced OR hot, green, white or black, straight up, no sugar, lol. Maybe you could add a bit of lemon or even some frozen berries to add a kick of flavor? 

Just now, enigmata said:

As a Brit I'm a tea lover - never tried green tea, just regular black.  Not sure if it is an acquired taste - it was just something I grew up with.  

There are so many different types of tea that it may be worth trying an assortment pack.

I was diagnosed with a bad blood clot in 2014.  The swelling was crazy - just like you are describing (I know that you said clots had been ruled out).

I tried over the counter compression stockings but, because I'm only 5' tall they were way too long and folded over themselves.  My doctor then arranged made to measure which, although I would never call them comfortable, were better.

I've read that the ultrasounds for DVT is not always effective in the calf, which is more swollen, I think.  So I kind of half expect there might still be a clot issue.   I have an IVC filter (1-800-baddrugs!), so I'm not frantic about it (mostly). 

27 minutes ago, snickerz said:

I have the same problem with tea! Every tea I try just tastes like grass to me. 

3 hours ago, snickerz said:

Start with an herbal tea. Do you like peppermint or spearmint flavor? many herbal teas taste naturally sweet or floral, like hibiscus or rose hip. You may also like Earl Grey tea, which is regular "black" tea flavored with bergamot. Jasmine tea also has a 'floral" aroma. I also loathe green tea, but enjoy a variety of black, red and herbal.  If you have one near you go to a tea shop that sells loose tea and ask for suggestions. Most places sell it in as small amounts as an once, so you can try a few without a big investment.

I lived in China for about four years (79/83) and it was green tea or boiled water.  Or orange soda pop.  It takes a bit of persistence, but you do get to be able to tell good from bad.  But the worst tea I had there was supposed to be the best: some monks famous for a thousand years and their tiny tea house--and it was vile. . . .  If you are really serious, try a tea shop in a Chinese or Japanese area, and get small amounts of different kinds, and keep at it till you find one you like.  It's possible.

sugar and sometimes milk can help on the tea front. tea without any kind of sweetener is just yucky to me. i'm very picky on the tea i drink, i usually stick to black or fruit/herbal teas. blueberry is one of my favourites. i also really like apple spice tea, it tastes like hot apple cider to me, so maybe that would be a good starting point if you like hot apple cider.

16 hours ago, snickerz said:

After hearing about all the health benefits, I bought some green tea and tried it. It was beyond awful, tasted like hay.

I know someone who will only drink organic really expensive green tea because they claim the cheap stuff isn't proper green tea.
I don't like black or green tea. I do like rosehip tea and some mint teas. <- they are usually found 'pure herbs' or as 'infused black tea'. I find the infused black tea ones to be gross.

Does anyone drink linden tea? Mine always feels slimy and I don't know why. Is it meant to be like that?

18 hours ago, Curious said:

Another member PMed me about the possibility of lymphedema.  I've never heard of it and apparently neither have any of my drs because you'd think they might have mentioned it by now.   I have 2 dr. appts on Thursday so I'm going to ask both of them and see if we can work toward either ruling it out or getting proper treatment if it's the cause.

Fortunately, all my drs are great about listening to me and helping me get necessary testing if I put forth a theory they haven't considered.

Good luck with your appointments! It would be good to know the cause, whatever it is. I'm glad you have doctors who listen to you. Sadly that is not always the case.

On February 8, 2016 at 1:37 PM, louisa05 said:

It pisses me off to no end that Barq's adds caffeine to root beer. I cannot have caffeine anymore and I hate Sprite/Sierra Mist, etc...and occasionally when we go out, I like a soda. I can barely have alcohol anymore either, so it is my big treat.  

snipped

I don't seem to have a high tolerance for caffeine, so I avoid it after noon so that I can sleep at night. Be aware that Sunkist orange soda also has caffeine.

My favorite root beer is Henry Weinhard's, but it's a bit pricey for me except as an occasional treat. 

8 hours ago, turquoise said:

Good luck with your appointments! It would be good to know the cause, whatever it is. I'm glad you have doctors who listen to you. Sadly that is not always the case.

Thanks!  I talked to my physical therapist last night about it.  I asked if she knew anything about lymphedema and she said "a little."   She asked why and I refreshed her memory about my leg.  I mentioned it at the beginning, but never complain about it at PT.  So she bent down to look at my leg and started looking at the right one.  I said "oh sorry.  left leg."  She pushed up my pant leg and just burst out laughing and said "ya think?"   She called another therapist over and without any prompting she said "looks like lymphedema."

So hopefully they will schedule a diagnostic test for me based on the symptoms and PT suggestion.

If y'all need it, I know of a really innovative & acclaimed lymphedema program near me. A lot of people travel to it. Shoot me a PM if you need the info.

Archived