IGNORED

Mandatory Fitness

refugee

16 hours ago, MatthewDuggar said:

I wouldn't mind this, but the required steps thing is a bit much.  We had a phys ed requirement at my university.  I took CPR and Ballroom Dancing. 

Doing CPR can really get your steps up...

If a college offered to give each student a fitbit and had them voluntarily try to meet a goal I'd have no problem but this is ridiculously intrusive.  And these are the same folks who think teh ebil government intrudes too much into their lives.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, sparkles said:

Some Fitbit models have GPS. Lots of potential for monitoring a lot more than just steps. Way too intrusive, IMO. 

My first thought. Either that or someone important there has stock in Fitbit! If they just purely wanted to have everybody exercise, why not just say students have to attend mandatory fitness classes a few times a week or something? One of the colleges I went to had like 2 semesters mandatory fitness classes, and you could pick between a few different options.

Depending on what fitness trackers they use now or in future, there can be so much data being collected on top of just steps. Since they have to report the steps to the college, I wonder how the college will be scraping that data, too. Fitness trackers integrate with lots of other personal info depending how you set them up. Using something like a Fitbit can be really helpful, but depending on how the school is going to monitor it, it could really be an invasion of privacy.

Just adding to say that mandatory fitness/working out can make people hate working out or at least take fun out of it. My mom enforced mandatory working out for me from about 13-18; any day that I wasn't working after school (three to four hours of standing and walking in library stacks), or gone all day for weekend extracurriculars, I had to go to the gym with her or lose my "privilege" of having my iPod/something else I enjoyed (I was mostly not allowed to use the computer during the school year except to write assignments, so mom really had to stretch her brain to think of another thing to take).

It sucked. She would glare at me if I took breaks, or check on me between sets if she was playing tennis on the other floor of the building, make comments or awful looks if I took seconds of food, and serve me quite small portions.

When I got to college, I didn't work out at all for a year and a half and ate tons of crap. Because I thought of the gym as punishment and food as a thing one should eat NOW NOW NOW while one had it and before someone could shame you or take it away. I stil eat way too fast at 25 even though I get heartburn a lot.

Eventually, after that year and a half in college, I noticed a drop in my energy levels and some friends also went to the gym. So I did get into the habit again, 6 days a week. However, I did not and have never found it fun. I still do it and enjoy watching my favorite show or playing on my phone while I work out. But, it's just another item on my chore list.

47 minutes ago, December said:

My first thought. Either that or someone important there has stock in Fitbit! If they just purely wanted to have everybody exercise, why not just say students have to attend mandatory fitness classes a few times a week or something? One of the colleges I went to had like 2 semesters mandatory fitness classes, and you could pick between a few different options.

Depending on what fitness trackers they use now or in future, there can be so much data being collected on top of just steps. Since they have to report the steps to the college, I wonder how the college will be scraping that data, too. Fitness trackers integrate with lots of other personal info depending how you set them up. Using something like a Fitbit can be really helpful, but depending on how the school is going to monitor it, it could really be an invasion of privacy.

They are not required to buy the models with GPS. They are required to have the ones with a HRM. 

I'm not sure how the fitbit software is integrating with the ORU grading system. When I go on Fitbit, I can see my steps (none, because I broke my fitbit), my sleep, my weight (I have the fitbit scale that uploads my weight and a useless number that it claims is body fat %), and my friend's steps. I can't see anyone else's sleep or weight. 

I am a technological idiot. Is there a market for the info the college is collecting through this requirement? That was my first thought.........

ORU still very much adheres to the In Loco Parentis university model. They do not consider their students to be independent adults and therefore consider it appropriate to require certain types of dress and try to control free time as much as possible.

I suspect requiring 10,000 steps is a good way to take up a little more free time (and get students to expend some energy that might have gone to sexual thoughts!).

2 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

They are not required to buy the models with GPS. They are required to have the ones with a HRM. 

I'm not sure how the fitbit software is integrating with the ORU grading system. When I go on Fitbit, I can see my steps (none, because I broke my fitbit), my sleep, my weight (I have the fitbit scale that uploads my weight and a useless number that it claims is body fat %), and my friend's steps. I can't see anyone else's sleep or weight. 

It's the question of how software integrates with the grading system that concerns me and the precedent it sets going forward (esp. as more and more devices are integrating stuff like HRM, GPS, etc.). The more raw data you have coming from someone's devices the more things you can extrapolate because of correlation. And I think that's potentially where the danger comes into this situation. (not just for fundies, this applies to any similar situation!)

49 minutes ago, Crocoduck said:

ORU still very much adheres to the In Loco Parentis university model. They do not consider their students to be independent adults and therefore consider it appropriate to require certain types of dress and try to control free time as much as possible.

I suspect requiring 10,000 steps is a good way to take up a little more free time (and get students to expend some energy that might have gone to sexual thoughts!).

10,000 steps is NOT a lot of steps. They can probably get that just walking to class. 

Has anyone seen what the requirement for PE actually is? 

2 hours ago, sawasdee said:

I am a technological idiot. Is there a market for the info the college is collecting through this requirement? That was my first thought.........

Not necessarily, but I got the impression from one article that they might be using it in a study on academic achievement and physical fitness. Which would be interesting, however, I would prefer that the college students give consent before using that data. 

9 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Not necessarily, but I got the impression from one article that they might be using it in a study on academic achievement and physical fitness. Which would be interesting, however, I would prefer that the college students give consent before using that data. 

I believe it's illegal to use college students as research subjects without consent.  There are a lot of hoops to jump through if you want to gather (and use) any data from students for analysis.

I'm obsessed with my Fitbit.

But per the press release/article, the students have to purchase them independently (and I'm sure the campus bookstore has insane markups as most campus bookstores do).  If the school is to require them, then they should be the ones paying for them.

I think they should make an actual health class mandatory, regardless of major. It will teach basic nutrition and food safety (how to read nutrition labels), first aid and CPR, and human reproduction. That way everyone comes out with some basic knowledge of how to properly exist. After that, universities should give tuition breaks or other perks for signing up for PE classes and/or using the campus gym, or make a deal with local gyms for students to get breaks for going there

58 minutes ago, Mrsaztx said:

I think they should make an actual health class mandatory, regardless of major. It will teach basic nutrition and food safety (how to read nutrition labels), first aid and CPR, and human reproduction. That way everyone comes out with some basic knowledge of how to properly exist. After that, universities should give tuition breaks or other perks for signing up for PE classes and/or using the campus gym, or make a deal with local gyms for students to get breaks for going there

Not tuition breaks- that could be economically coercive to low-income students. Non-money perks, though, work well. In undergrad there was a partnership with a cafe and a workout gear sponsor, so for a semester, people could get things like a water bottle, some sports clothes, certificate for free smoothie, and so on if they went to the gym at least 3 times a week for X weeks.

On 2/3/2016 at 8:18 PM, Maggie Mae said:

finds a link between active students and academic

This is sort of bugging me.  I was going to just let it go, but decided to address it.

Overweight/Fat does NOT equal lazy.   I am fat.  I graduated, many moons ago,  with a 3.93 (fucking stats class), while pregnant (had the baby before I graduated) and working 2 jobs.  My academic standing had absolutely nothing to do with my weight or physical activity.    This is not a unique phenomenon.

Also 10,000 steps can be A LOT of steps for some people.  The ability to walk x amount of steps does nothing to correlate to how healthy a person is.   Despite having been overweight for many years and the fact that I have a lot of health issues (mostly...structural for lack of a better description), my overall health is quite good (ie: liver function, kidney function, nutrition values, blood values...I know this because they are tested every 3 months maximum due to various factors).

My closest brush with fitness at my university was being aware that we had ovals, and seeing some other people playing frisbee. :P

21 hours ago, lawlifelgbt said:

Eventually, after that year and a half in college, I noticed a drop in my energy levels and some friends also went to the gym. So I did get into the habit again, 6 days a week. However, I did not and have never found it fun. I still do it and enjoy watching my favorite show or playing on my phone while I work out. But, it's just another item on my chore list.

This is me. I've never seen Exercise as anything but punishment. And I hate going to the gym and have always viewed it as a annoying chore. I had no idea people liked working out until after college (and I still don't understand how).

On 2/3/2016 at 6:06 PM, refugee said:

Heard on the radio today that Oral Roberts U is requiring all students to wear FitBits, and they're graded on their compliance. If I remember the story right, the students have a minimum standard of 10,000 steps per day, plus (or maybe it was including?) 30 minutes of daily exercise.

I wonder if they're requiring it of all the professors and staff as well?

Fairhaven Baptist College used to (probably still does) require a certain amount of exercise every week -- running and weight lifting both. They'd have quarterly weigh-ins, and if you gained too much weight or didn't lose weight (for those who were overweight), you'd fail the PE class.

20 hours ago, Crocoduck said:

snipped

That's going to backfire on them, then. Exercise helps get your blood pumping, and as you get fitter, you tend to have more energy ... more energy + better blood flow = lots of sexy energy time

On 2/3/2016 at 8:04 PM, MatthewDuggar said:

I wouldn't mind this, but the required steps thing is a bit much.  We had a phys ed requirement at my university.  I took CPR and Ballroom Dancing. 

I took ballroom dancing and aerobics for my mandatories. We also had a mandatory swim test. if you couldn't pass it, you took a "survival swimming" class as one of your phys ed classes.

19 minutes ago, polecat said:

That's going to backfire on them, then. Exercise helps get your blood pumping, and as you get fitter, you tend to have more energy ... more energy + better blood flow = lots of sexy energy time

This is pretty funny. Years ago I watched a season of the Bachelorette with a friend. (She loved that show and I could never figure out why.)

Anyway, one of the men was a late-20s virgin... and a marathon runner. I always wondered if his marathon running was a tactic to keep his libido under control.

25 minutes ago, Crocoduck said:

This is pretty funny. Years ago I watched a season of the Bachelorette with a friend. (She loved that show and I could never figure out why.)

Anyway, one of the men was a late-20s virgin... and a marathon runner. I always wondered if his marathon running was a tactic to keep his libido under control.

lol, coulda been. I just know that when spring gets here and my husband and I start hitting the bike trails again -- things get a LITTLE crazy. :P

20 hours ago, Firiel said:

I believe it's illegal to use college students as research subjects without consent.  There are a lot of hoops to jump through if you want to gather (and use) any data from students for analysis.

Given that they are collecting the information as "progress towards an educational outcome" - I don't believe this qualifies as the types of research you are referring to.  Nothing precludes an institution from aggregating data to look at correlations between various requirements.  (For example, placement scores at entry with performance in various courses.)

18 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I'm obsessed with my Fitbit.

But per the press release/article, the students have to purchase them independently (and I'm sure the campus bookstore has insane markups as most campus bookstores do).  If the school is to require them, then they should be the ones paying for them.

This just isn't the way higher education works.  It's VERY common for institutions to require a wide variety of technology (ie notebooks with a particular operating system and capacities.)  K-12 provides and pays for materials; once at a college or university, it's the student's responsibility.  And, while I dislike the costs of textbooks, frankly, $150 isn't all that much comparatively.

So many things wrong with this. I'm quite fit and do like to walk for at least an hour every day, but that's something I enjoy doing and not something that is being forced on me by the powers that be. It's human nature to resist what's thrust upon you, even if you know it's good for you objectively. I agree with Lawlife about coming to associate exercise with punishment.

My last workplace were considering taking our chairs away from our desks and making us do our work standing up as they think office workers don't get enough exercise. I left some feedback making it clear that I walked 35 minutes to the office there and back every day and that I came to work to have a rest!

4 minutes ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

Given that they are collecting the information as "progress towards an educational outcome" - I don't believe this qualifies as the types of research you are referring to.  Nothing precludes an institution from aggregating data to look at correlations between various requirements.  (For example, placement scores at entry with performance in various courses.)

Ah, they probably aren't publishing it, then.  Fair enough. MaggieMae mentioned it being used in a study, which led to think of a published academic study.

For the record, I think this is a stupid, idiotic assignment as well.  Yes, exercise is good for you.  But so is not smoking.  And not drinking (very much).  And not having unprotected sex.  And eating vegetables.  And all those things are and should be 100% my own decision.

This may be coming from my position as an able-bodied person, but I don't mind the requirement to take a few PE classes, as long as the grade isn't based on performance.  In my jogging class, you were encouraged to build up to a 20 minute jog, but you were also allowed to walk. (Or walk back to your dorm room and take a short nap... which I guess wasn't technically "allowed.")  The grade was based on attendance and a written test taken at the end of the class.  The idea wasn't to force you to be healthy or fit but rather give you tools to pursue that form of exercise after the class, if you desired to do so.  But then, as I said, that's how it feels from the perspective of a relatively fit, able-bodied person.

1 minute ago, Firiel said:

Ah, they probably aren't publishing it, then.  Fair enough. MaggieMae mentioned it being used in a study, which led to think of a published academic study.

For the record, I think this is a stupid, idiotic assignment as well.  Yes, exercise is good for you.  But so is not smoking.  And not drinking (very much).  And not having unprotected sex.  And eating vegetables.  And all those things are and should be 100% my own decision.

This may be coming from my position as an able-bodied person, but I don't mind the requirement to take a few PE classes, as long as the grade isn't based on performance.  In my jogging class, you were encouraged to build up to a 20 minute jog, but you were also allowed to walk. (Or walk back to your dorm room and take a short nap... which I guess wasn't technically "allowed.")  The grade was based on attendance and a written test taken at the end of the class.  The idea wasn't to force you to be healthy or fit but rather give you tools to pursue that form of exercise after the class, if you desired to do so.  But then, as I said, that's how it feels from the perspective of a relatively fit, able-bodied person.

I went to a hippie college that just vaguely told you "take some arts classes, some social science classes, and some STEM classes when you get around to it, no pressure, whatevs, man", and I'm still bitter that I got a B in Javanese Classical Dance because, per the teacher, I wasn't a very good dancer. But apparently I have the thighs for Balinese Dance. I was just dancing the wrong island, I guess.

Archived