IGNORED

General Cosmetics Discussion

iweartanktops

I thought this would be a great place for random things like a new product you just tried or questions for other posters, etc. 

This is so fun:happy-jumpgreen:

• Upvote 3

Mascara suggestions for stuff that isn't too expensive but doesn't clump or leave streaks all over when it's brand new?

Best heat protectant for hair? I've always had oily hair, so the upside was my ends were nice and soft. But now that I learned how to straight iron, they are getting a bit poofy. I use argan oil sometimes, but it doesn't always work out great (just seems to make my really long hair heavy).

Also, random recommendation: Laura Mercier liquid foundation is amazing. It isn't cheap, but worth it. And you need to use so little each time it will last forever if you store it correctly. And this is coming from someone with some major Irish girl skin problems. 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Mascara suggestions for stuff that isn't too expensive but doesn't clump or leave streaks all over when it's brand new?

Best heat protectant for hair? I've always had oily hair, so the upside was my ends were nice and soft. But now that I learned how to straight iron, they are getting a bit poofy. I use argan oil sometimes, but it doesn't always work out great (just seems to make my really long hair heavy).

Also, random recommendation: Laura Mercier liquid foundation is amazing. It isn't cheap, but worth it. And you need to use so little each time it will last forever if you store it correctly. And this is coming from someone with some major Irish girl skin problems. 

What would you consider expensive?

• Upvote 1

The heat protectants I rotate between are Kenra Platinum Blow Dry spray and Alterna Caviar Repair Multi-Vitamin Heat Protectant Spray. Kenra cuts down my drying time in half. I have long, thick and slightly waving hair and it can take a long time to blowdry. Alterna is a more nourishing protectant and works better with flat ironing, IMO. I tend to have oiler scalp and both products do not cause weigh down or oiliness.

I recently bought Oribe hair products because I heard nothing but good about that line, but my hair hates it. I am using it up because that crap is hella expensive. 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Right now, I'm using the travel sized Urban Decay perversion mascara ($10.) It's lasted me since december, and still going pretty strong with fairly consistent use. I bought the travel size since advice has told me not to spend too much on mascara, since hygiene demands you get a new tube about every 3 months, and I never use up all of the product in the Rimmel lash accelerator tubes that are around the same price but much bigger.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

What would you consider expensive?

It can run from $40 to $60. I wear makeup everyday but I'm not an aficionado. I mostly wear Cover Girl and Revlon from the pharmacy, which works for me. Laura Mercier was my first real "investment" makeup. I don't have great skin and I wouldn't even wear foundation before because the pharmacy brands were so bad. It was definitely worth itthe investment for me. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

It can run from $40 to $60. I wear makeup everyday but I'm not an aficionado. I mostly wear Cover Girl and Revlon from the pharmacy, which works for me. Laura Mercier was my first real "investment" makeup. I don't have great skin and I wouldn't even wear foundation before because the pharmacy brands were so bad. It was definitely worth itthe investment for me. 

Then dior addict it-lash is perfect. I love it, the applicator works greay, and it really makes your lashes pop

• Upvote 2

I love Clinique's High Impact Mascara. I always get the little samples from Clinique's free gifts

• Upvote 1

For super cheap, natural and versatile all rounder , I use coconut oil that I get from my local health food shop for loads of things.  A huge pot only costs £2.50 and I use it as a leave in hair conditioner.....my hair's long and naturally curly so needs moisturising and de-frizzing,  I  just warm a small amount in my palms to make it liquid and then smooth it over the ends. I also use it if my skin is rough, after a bath or shower I use it like body oil, it's also especially good for chapped lips and as it contains nothing but coconut it's hypoallergenic and so soothing. I also find that using it where I sometimes get sore and sweaty (like under my boobs where my bra rubs) stops soreness and kills sweat odour after cycling etc......that idea came from a friend saying it cured her fungal foot problem,  so I thought if it does that, it'll surely help, and it did!!  There, that managed to lower the tone didn't it haha!

• Upvote 3

So I did a little fun project: I depotted my Naked Palettes into a magnetic palette Book of Shadows by Anothersoul on Etsy. I feel like I get more use out of them now since they are all in one convenient place.

2016-02-01 17.21.54.jpg

• Upvote 13

2 hours ago, Loki said:

For super cheap, natural and versatile all rounder , I use coconut oil that I get from my local health food shop for loads of things.  A huge pot only costs £2.50 and I use it as a leave in hair conditioner.....my hair's long and naturally curly so needs moisturising and de-frizzing,  I  just warm a small amount in my palms to make it liquid and then smooth it over the ends. I also use it if my skin is rough, after a bath or shower I use it like body oil, it's also especially good for chapped lips and as it contains nothing but coconut it's hypoallergenic and so soothing. I also find that using it where I sometimes get sore and sweaty (like under my boobs where my bra rubs) stops soreness and kills sweat odour after cycling etc......that idea came from a friend saying it cured her fungal foot problem,  so I thought if it does that, it'll surely help, and it did!!  There, that managed to lower the tone didn't it haha!

Kind of an aside, one of my babies is an old lady golden retriever, and she has lots of dry skin, dandruff, etc. issues. Coconut oil works so well for her! Its an awesome multi-purpose product.

• Upvote 3

I don't have much to add as I've stopped wearing make-up other than moisturizer and tinted CC Cream for the past few years.

I have decided to kick things up a bit for a wedding I'm attending in April.

Things have changed a bit so I'm busy learning about things like primer and illuminating powders and stuff like that.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Loki said:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/genamourbarrett/posts-that-prove-coconut-oil-is-the-solution-to-all#.twYMnXZQ

In all seriousness, I'm having fairly good success with various uses for coconut oil as well. And it smells SO good.

Does anyone else use straight shea butter? I smear into my feet before putting socks on, and it's good for slowing feet drying.

• Upvote 4

@ShepherdontheRock, love that post.....so silly, and the readers comments were almost as good as the actual article! I admit I probably did sound a bit like that. World peace.....coconut oil etc.

I thought this one was especially apt for FJ " if coconut oil works for an organic moisturiser AND for cooking how can we utilise it to destroy the patriarchy" wonderful!!

• Upvote 1

I've tried a billion mascaras. I've tried expensive ones and cheap drug store ones. Best one I've found is a cheap one: Maybelline "The Rocket" waterproof. 

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan pinned this topic
8 hours ago, louisa05 said:

I've tried a billion mascaras. I've tried expensive ones and cheap drug store ones. Best one I've found is a cheap one: Maybelline "The Rocket" waterproof. 

Is it hard to remove? In my experience, I like waterproof mascaras in theory... but when it comes time to take them off, I end up with mascara all down my face and I have to scrub scrub scrub to get it off. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, defraudingjezebel said:

Is it hard to remove? In my experience, I like waterproof mascaras in theory... but when it comes time to take them off, I end up with mascara all down my face and I have to scrub scrub scrub to get it off. 

No. I use Almay remover pads and it comes off just fine. I have watery allergy eyes for most of the year and if I use a non-waterproof mascara, I look like a raccoon or a panda in less than an hour. 

i know nothing about hairstyling, and my go-to do is a ponytail.  i got a Curl-Secret curling iron for Christmas, and i like it a lot.  it's easy to use, and i can curl all of my hair in about 12 minutes.  this is the one that sucks your hair up into a little drum, and when you release the handle, you get a spiral curl.  i have a lot of difficulty with most hair appliances because i have no skill/training, and i'm very uncoordinated, but the curl-secret actually does what the ad says, and it's kind of fun to use.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, catlady said:

i know nothing about hairstyling, and my go-to do is a ponytail.  i got a Curl-Secret curling iron for Christmas, and i like it a lot.  it's easy to use, and i can curl all of my hair in about 12 minutes.  this is the one that sucks your hair up into a little drum, and when you release the handle, you get a spiral curl.  i have a lot of difficulty with most hair appliances because i have no skill/training, and i'm very uncoordinated, but the curl-secret actually does what the ad says, and it's kind of fun to use.

That's good to know. That thing looks cool and I wanted to try, but was always a little scared, lol. I just saw my hair getting all knotted up in it and having to cut it off.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, louisa05 said:

I love that mascara as well, and for removing it, I find that the Neutrogena makeup remover pads work well for me.

• Upvote 1

I wasn't sure if it was worth starting a new topic, so I'll just ask in this thread.

I have super fair skin and most drug store foundations and concealers are too dark. Does anyone know of any relatively affordable foundations in light shades? I would really love to be able to conceal the odd face demon with something that doesn't make me look like I got a Duggar-style fake tan. 

• Upvote 1

On February 5, 2016 at 0:31 AM, felinefundie said:

I wasn't sure if it was worth starting a new topic, so I'll just ask in this thread.

I have super fair skin and most drug store foundations and concealers are too dark. Does anyone know of any relatively affordable foundations in light shades? I would really love to be able to conceal the odd face demon with something that doesn't make me look like I got a Duggar-style fake tan. 

You might try Clinique.  It's less expensive than most other department store brands, you get a consultant to help you get the right shade and if you don't like it, you can often return the purchase.  Department store foundations can be worth the money.  Better range of shades and frequently the last much longer as the pigment is more concentrated.  Splurge on foundation and save money with drugstore stuff for eyes, lips and cheeks.

I meant to add that a good inexpensive mascara is Maybelline Mega-Plush.  It comes in waterproof and water washable, doesn't clump or give you spiky lashes and it's cheap.  I can easily afford a new tube every 3 months.  I found out that my youngest daughter uses the same mascara.  I use the waterproof formula else I look like a raccoon.  (Watery eyes here, too)

Edited by PennySycamore

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

You might try Clinique.  It's less expensive than most other department store brands, you get a consultant to help you get the right shade and if you don't like it, you can often return the purchase.  Department store foundations can be worth the money.  Better range of shades and frequently the last much longer as the pigment is more concentrated.  Splurge on foundation and save money with drugstore stuff for eyes, lips and cheeks.

I meant to add that a good inexpensive mascara is Maybelline Mega-Plush.  It comes in waterproof and water washable, doesn't clump or give you spiky lashes and it's cheap.  I can easily afford a new tube every 3 months.  I found out that my youngest daughter uses the same mascara.  I use the waterproof formula else I look like a raccoon.  (Watery eyes here, too)

I've tried Clinique. I actually have an Clinique store on the campus of my school. They just don't have light enough foundations for me, unless I get a really good tan. Which is too bad, because I really do love Clinique makeup. 

• Upvote 1