IGNORED

Jill, Derick, and Israel Part 12

Boogalou

8 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

Here in Thailand, almost everybody has a large, shallow pot with mosquito  larvae eating fish outside their house. In fact, when I moved into my home, my housewarming presents from some of my Thai friends have supplied me with three - and they work!

What kind of fish do you have in them?  

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Pennyrose said:

I'm pretty sure the picture in the article is old. Derek's hair and stubble looks the same as he had it when they were courting. In the pictures of him from the past year he hasn't been styling his hair and has more of a beard.

Of course he could have shaved and rediscovered product I suppose. It'd be good for Derek if he did, he looked a lot younger and in better health with his face shaved. 

It may be old, but it's certainly not that old. It was definitely taken after Izzy was born. Just look at his teeth.

15 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

Here in Thailand, almost everybody has a large, shallow pot with mosquito  larvae eating fish outside their house. In fact, when I moved into my home, my housewarming presents from some of my Thai friends have supplied me with three - and they work!

I just went to the store and bought 5 goldfish. They've been in there for 3 years now and they do their job well! 

16 minutes ago, Hera said:

Hate to say it, but I'm not sure. My friends stocked them, and they breed so I don't need to restock. But I don't think they are the same as El Salvador - they are tiny, about a 2 centimetres (just under an inch) or so. But seriously efficient! I not only do not have a modern phone with a camera, I don't have a camera - but I will ask a friend to photograph and post! (Don't know how to do that either...  )

1 hour ago, Hera said:

There is a type of fish called a mosquito fish.  My SIL has them in her pond.  They're kind of like a fancy guppy female, but they don't have the color.  

I don't know if anywhere else in the world has done this yet but the NHS in the UK is set to bar people who have visited zika infected countries from giving blood for 4 weeks.  Although a bar is already in place for most of these countries due to tropical virus risk and a 6 month bar for malaria areas.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/03/nhs-stops-travellers-zika-virus-giving-blood

1 hour ago, sawasdee said:

@sawasdee, Man, do we need one of those!  My husband like to collect water in a rain barrel, but not a proper rain barrel -just a couple of old trash cans that are perfect breeding grounds for mosquitos.   I try not to be outside any longer than necessary during mosquito season because I am tasty to them.

2 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@sawasdee, Man, do we need one of those!  My husband like to collect water in a rain barrel, but not a proper rain barrel -just a couple of old trash cans that are perfect breeding grounds for mosquitos.   I try not to be outside any longer than necessary during mosquito season because I am tasty to them.

I'll try and find out what the fish are, and let you know -but all I have at the moment is 'pla lek' - which means little fish.....

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

We live in NC where there is stagnant water galore plus I have two small garden ponds.  I keep goldfish but the bullfrog tadpoles seem to eat up all the little guys so my goldfish population comes and goes.  However I use mosquito dunks and mosquito bits-- both work great.  The dunks (which are actually rings) last for a month.  The bits only last a few days but are better for small areas.  You could probably use half a "dunk" per trash barrel. It is dried bacteria so it is organic and non-toxic for pets.

Everyone here in Florida hates all the lizards that are virtually everywhere.  I certainly don't mind them as they do a great job snacking on the mosquitoes and other bugs.   I swear there were hoards more bugs and mosquitoes everywhere when I lived in Wisconsin in the summertime.  I get a bite maybe once a year since I've been here. 

4 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Hubs does same. I keep the containers covered with a screen. Let's water in, but not mosquitoes.

58 minutes ago, Toothfairy said:

Why won't these fools use sense and come back home. We all know Jilly muffin will never use bc. It's all about Jesus.

I would rather they go someplace else. Their are missions in Africa and Asia that their group says they run. Jill and Derick need a wake up call. If they really want to live the life of missionaries then go be missionaries! Go some place others don't want to go. Central America is practically in their own backyard and mostly Catholic - therefore already has many Christians. If they go back to the states now we'll hear about their desire to do mission work BUT they couldn't because of the Zika virus. For years they will pretend to be missionaries and "prepare/ask for funds" to go back.

Plus it would be a lot more interesting if they went to Africa or Asia. Talk about a fish out of water. With no Jim Bob close by Jill might question things and/or think for herself!      

On February 2, 2016 at 11:27 AM, PennySycamore said:

@EmCatlyn, I'd wondered about bring back DDT, as well, BUT it was never banned for vector control, i.e. for mosquito control.  It was banned in 1974 in the US and restricted worldwide by the Stockholm Convention in 2004.  The current practice is to spray the interior walls of homes with DDT or another insecticide to control mosquitoes. That seems to be most effective and works even when the mosquitos are resistant to DDT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDT

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoor_residual_spraying

The "Bring Back DDT" campaign seems to be led by the similar group of people as the Tobacco Institute.  It's all industry people who would love nothing more than to bring down environmentalists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa_Fighting_Malaria

Actually, I have never heard of a "bring back DDT" campaign.  What I heard was that poorer countries have not been able to keep down mosquitos effectively ever since spraying with DDT was banned and that maybe removing the ban would be justifiable for a short period until Zika got under control.  The people discussing it as a possibility were two academics in the sciences.  They were assessing the cost-efficiency in the short term or something like that.

6 hours ago, MatthewDuggar said:

Everyone here in Florida hates all the lizards that are virtually everywhere.  I certainly don't mind them as they do a great job snacking on the mosquitoes and other bugs.   I swear there were hoards more bugs and mosquitoes everywhere when I lived in Wisconsin in the summertime.  I get a bite maybe once a year since I've been here. 

And lizards are cute.  Tiny little dragons or dinosaurs just waiting for tiny adventures.  I have a picture of my then 2year old daughter absolutely enthralled by a lizard on the windowsill.

I love lizards.  They are nicer than spiders and they eat bad bugs.

My husband does use the BT dunks and last year made an attempt the screen the barrels, but his screens were not properly made and didn't work that well.  I thought he could have made a screen out of window screen mesh and a band or something to hold it into place, but he made a screen out of mesh and boards.  They were way too heavy.  My way would work better.

I have four rain barrels and two of them I have to use dunks with.   The two we got from the water department where we live, have the small mesh screens pn top and I have never had a problem with mosquitoes .  The one pop-up barrel I have the top screen is pretty large so I use the dunks with that one.  The last one is a 55 gal plastic but the top mesh is damaged and I need to fix it, so that one also gets a dunk.  

On February 2, 2016 at 0:43 PM, Pianokeeper said:

My apologies for my lack of emotional distance on the subject of DDT; my mother died of breast cancer, most likely related to heavy DDT exposure as a small girl in Brazil. 

This stuff KILLS. Not just bald eagles, which are making a comeback. Not just my mother, who was indescribably devoted to healthy habits yet got several different kinds of cancer. Not just my favorite middle school teacher, who used to play in the DDT truck spray, growing up in Florida. 

Mr. Pianokeeper is a neuroscientist. DDT is not his particular field, but if we're throwing our loved ones and their scientific knowledge into the ring, he's fully backing methods of mosquito control that are less deadly to all rungs of life. There ARE alternatives in the works. We don't need to behave like anti-vaxers, where we grow removed enough from the devastation to think maybe it was all a big kerfuffle over nothing. 

I am sorry that my comment stirred up such strong feelings.  I am sorry that your mother and teacher died and that you associate their deaths with DDT.

For the record, I didn't mention any "loved ones" with scientific knowledge. I alluded to a casual conversation with two scientists at the university where I teach.

I know nothing about DDT except that when I was a little kid everyone thought it was wonderful for getting rid of mosquitos and that eventually it was found to be dangerous to nature. Since there are other pesticides, I never gave it much thought after it was banned.  The two science guys I talked to were saying that DDT is cheaper to produce than other insecticides and the ban maybe should be reconsidered in some countries.  I don't think they were even advocating the use of DDT only discussing that it might be less of a risk that the risk of Zika.

I just threw it out there because I had just heard the idea. 

Personally I like the larva eating fish idea much better.

13 minutes ago, snarkysuki1724 said:

I apologize if this is already posted somewhere else but I just saw this: 

http://www.sheknows.com/entertainment/articles/1111419/jill-duggar-derick-dillard-arkansas-visit

Looks like Jill and Derick are back already, what do y'all think of that?

I'm surprised and rather impressed that they took this long to come back if they indeed have come back.

Probably not much help, but going back to the fish topic: I'm an amateur aquarist and keep long-finned bettas (specifically, Betta Splendens). I only have a bit of secondhand knowledge floating around in my head, but I know Betta Splendens were produced from selective breeding of "wild-type" Bettas that originate in Thailand and are referred to as "Plakat". So the mosquito eating fish mentioned could be wild-type bettas - I know they're hardy fish, prefer stagnant water, love mosquito larvae, more peaceful and much plainer than the bettas you're probably familiar with. Unfortunately this isn't a type of betta you're going to find in a petshop, and I don't think it's viable in the states, but it could work in some of the Zika-inflected countries with climates similar to Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, etc.

(picture from wikipedia)

image.jpeg

5 minutes ago, typo brahe said:

Probably not much help, but going back to the fish topic: I'm an amateur aquarist and keep long-finned bettas (specifically, Betta Splendens). I only have a bit of secondhand knowledge floating around in my head, but I know Betta Splendens were produced from selective breeding of "wild-type" Bettas that originate in Thailand and are referred to as "Plakat". So the mosquito eating fish mentioned could be wild-type bettas - I know they're hardy fish, prefer stagnant water, love mosquito larvae, more peaceful and much plainer than the bettas you're probably familiar with. Unfortunately this isn't a type of betta you're going to find in a petshop, and I don't think it's viable in the states, but it could work in some of the Zika-inflected countries with climates similar to Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, etc.

(picture from wikipedia)

image.jpeg

If those fish are tiny, that's what I have!

1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I'm surprised and rather impressed that they took this long to come back if they indeed have come back.

I thought just the opposite, that they were planning on being there longer.  

37 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

If those fish are tiny, that's what I have!

I could be entirely wrong, just thought I'd speculate :P It's possible they're some kind of betta, I know there are are species <1 inch. It's hard to pinpoint what kind you might have.

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived