IGNORED

Duggar Therapist spills all?

Swamptribe

On January 31, 2016 at 9:40 AM, EmCatlyn said:

If we think of Michelle as a misogynist we must also remember that this means she hates herself.

I'm not so sure it's hate so much as only seeing her value in how many babies/soldiers for Christ she can push out.  Non-married women only have value in how much they can help moms raise those babies.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/30/2016 at 9:00 PM, 3KidsAndStopped said:

Is it just me or does anyone else get the impression, despite all the bs about headships and being joyfully available (insert vomit smiley) that the real boss in that house is, and always has been, Michelle. JB might walk the walk and talk the talk, but I've always got the impression it's Michelle  that pulls the strings whilst pretending to be a perfect fundy wife. I don't for one minute buy her choices are as limited as her daughter's. Michelle  makes the decisions  and somehow makes JB think its either his or God's will. 

Agreed. Also, your comment reminds me of those scenes in My Big Fat Greek Wedding where Tula wants to take computer classes and her mom and aunt completely pull the wool over the dad's eyes in making him think it was all his idea. "The man may be the head, but the woman is the neck...and she can turn the head any way she wants to!"

Also, even if this doesn't apply to Meechelle, I think it's totally true of Jessa.

I skimmed this at the grocery store and I assumed "therapist" was just a buzzword for some random that knows the family. We all know the Duggars would never see an actual therapist.

It didn't seem to reveal any new or meaty information that we haven't already discussed here. 

8 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I skimmed this at the grocery store and I assumed "therapist" was just a buzzword for some random that knows the family. We all know the Duggars would never see an actual therapist.

It didn't seem to reveal any new or meaty information that we haven't already discussed here. 

Yep, could be Davy Waller for all anyone knows.

And no actual therapist would violate deliberately HIPAA.  S/he'd lose his/her license and be sued by the patient. 

A therapist can report if a client is a danger to himself or others. Includes child and elder abuse. That doesn't mean they can sell their story to a magazine. It's only to protect the client or his victim.

A therapist can report if a client is a danger to himself or others. Includes child and elder abuse. That doesn't mean they can sell their story to a magazine. It's only to protect the client or his victim.

Right, but as far as I know this only extends to law enforcement and hospitals. Maybe parents in the cases of minors, but even when a therapist has to tell someone something, there should be limits. If A Diggar is a danger to themselves, the media doesn't need to know that, a professional would.

9 hours ago, Trynn said:

Right, but as far as I know this only extends to law enforcement and hospitals. Maybe parents in the cases of minors, but even when a therapist has to tell someone something, there should be limits. If A Diggar is a danger to themselves, the media doesn't need to know that, a professional would.

What a professional can and can't say IS very stipulated. They can report to the proper authorities in order to save lives, are mandated to actually. So,  if a client divulges that they are having serious suicidal or homicidal feelings that piece of information needs to go to the correct authorities to prevent the deaths.  The therapist can call the cops and say "so and so just left my office, he said he has a plan to shoot people at x location, and had a handgun with him".  Or they can call the parents of a minor and tell them that the child is  having suicidal thoughts, and give them suggestions on how to help, or if institutionalization might be in order. They MAY NOT go on to say "and he dreamed about humping a cow last night, is fighting with coworkers and secretly loves pink".  They may not call tabloids at large, or give an interview.  

Interesting point though: only certified therapists, medical doctors, psychologists and psychiatrists need to follow these rules. If someone is titled a "counselor" they are held to much lower standards.  Some counselors are highly credentialed and wonderful, BUT anybody can hang up their shingle and say "i'm a counselor".  They need no training, degree or certification.  They are not bound to hippa.  I can see the duggars seeing a gothard "credentialed counselor" in times of need. In other words, a family friend from church that was "trained" through gothards teachings. I can even see that person having the gall to call themselves a counselor.  That person isn't bound by the same rules as a true professional, and may not even be aware of those rules.  But for that person, spilling duggar secrets would ruin them in the community. I don't see anyone deeply entrenched in that cult willing to be shunned and kicked out for good to get a few bucks from a tabloid.

On Saturday, January 30, 2016 at 3:42 PM, Trynn said:

I have no love for the Duggars, but I hope this article is BS. This would be a major HIPAA (did I get all the letters right?) violation, and even the Duggars deserve privacy from their therapists.

This, of course, is even assuming they bothered to go to one, which, along with everyone else, I am highly skeptical about.

Not if it's a fundie therapist. Fundie therapist believe in Jesus  as the cure.

I purchased it because I have 13 hours to waste (working overnight). Basically a family therapist was quoted, but they were very careful to keep saying that this family therapist had never seen the Duggars. So "Family Therapist Tells All" is misleading without being a lie. It doesn't say that the Duggars' Family Therapist Tells All.

3 minutes ago, nolongerIFBx said:

I purchased it because I have 13 hours to waste (working overnight). Basically a family therapist was quoted, but they were very careful to keep saying that this family therapist had never seen the Duggars. So "Family Therapist Tells All" is misleading without being a lie. It doesn't say that the Duggars' Family Therapist Tells All.

How sneaky is that? I bet anyone on FJ could speculate as well or better than that "family therapist". Thanks for letting us know.

No real therapist would want to lose their license selling a Duggar story to the press. I'm a special education teacher and I'm bound by HIPPA too. However, I'm a mandated reported. I'm legally obligated to tell authorities if I see something suspicious in a students home. It can be completely anonymous though. Honestly, as much as I hate to say it there really wouldn't be a reason to report the Duggars if I was in their home NOW. 14 years ago? DEFINITELY!!! I would have been the first to report it. But currently with the 16 remaining kids. Nothing to remaining kids, there's plenty of adults around for supervision, food in the house, play rooms, clean beds, running water. I definitely don't agree with their lifestyle but as much as I want to prove mental abuse, it's practically impossible.

55 minutes ago, nolongerIFBx said:

Thanks for taking one for the team and reading it! :D

On 1/31/2016 at 5:49 PM, Toomuchtimeonmyhands said:

I did read the article quickly.  It was more like it would be revealed who the therapist was, i.e. whether or not it was actually a real therapist.  That's what I got out of it before my DH gave me the evil eye for reading more Duggar stuff (JK).

I read an article in InTouch recently (last time I was in the grocery store, and we buy fresh dairy once a week for those who can tolerate it, so it was within the last few days). The headline was something about the D parents fighting and the possibility of divorce and a therapist telling. The part about the therapist was that the therapist was going to be forced to testify (be deposed?) in the lawsuit against Josh by... is it Danica? I'm sorry, my brain is not working today at all.

My first thought was... therapist? I know M said something about having gotten therapy for the kids at the time Josh was sent off to do hard labor for his molesting ways, but in fundie circles I'm acquainted with, that means anything from a pastor to a pastor's wife to a nouthetic (non)counselor. Nothing like a *therapist* therapist.

ETA: Anyhow, it's not what you might think from the headline, a "therapist" threatening to tell all, but rather, someone being subpoenaed. Is that a legal possibility? Do therapists have to tell the details of their sessions when they've been subpoenaed to provide evidence in a court case?

I know Father Brown grimly hangs on to his confessional whatsit when pressed. Of course, that's just a television show...

(I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on television.)

Archived