IGNORED

Sweet Tea and Buttermilk: Baby Watch 2016

SolomonFundy

2 hours ago, JMO said:

And I can't imagine having 3 kids in cloth diapers.  Changing 3 sets of diapers would be bad enough, washing out the inserts would kills me. 

Seriously, when does this woman sleep?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, nausicaa said:

Seriously, when does this woman sleep?

Meh, I did it for a year.  It was breastfeeding twins while pregnant for 3 months that was exhausting! ;) 

16 minutes ago, violynn said:

Meh, I did it for a year.  It was breastfeeding twins while pregnant for 3 months that was exhausting! ;) 

But did you also have 5 other kids?

I had two others.  I have six kids, most of them are grouped very closely together.  The first two are 16 months and 1 day apart.  The above mentioned three were 2 years and a week apart.  

I was only saying that I'd done the 3 kids in diapers before.  I did.  I lined them all up in a row and changed them at once.  If one needed, chances were always high the other two did as well.  It doesn't take much longer to change 3 kids as one.  It's an extra load of diapers a day to cloth diaper 3 kids, and when needs must, you learn to deal with it.

Now returning you to your regularly scheduled snark. :)

5 hours ago, violynn said:

I had two others.  I have six kids, most of them are grouped very closely together.  The first two are 16 months and 1 day apart.  The above mentioned three were 2 years and a week apart.  

I was only saying that I'd done the 3 kids in diapers before.  I did.  I lined them all up in a row and changed them at once.  If one needed, chances were always high the other two did as well.  It doesn't take much longer to change 3 kids as one.  It's an extra load of diapers a day to cloth diaper 3 kids, and when needs must, you learn to deal with it.

Now returning you to your regularly scheduled snark. :)

I bow to you...and vow to never ever touch you lest you be contagious!  :pb_lol:   Seriously, I've got all the kids I need.  

I've noticed that there are some women who are just serene mothers, no matter how many kids and how much chaos.  I admire the crap outta them!!  You sound like you've got it figured out!  

4 minutes ago, Rubaiyat said:

I bow to you...and vow to never ever touch you lest you be contagious!  :pb_lol:   Seriously, I've got all the kids I need.  

I've noticed that there are some women who are just serene mothers, no matter how many kids and how much chaos.  I admire the crap outta them!!  You sound like you've got it figured out!  

I am pretty low-key about it, now that you've said it, I just realized ;)     I did go through a period of crying every time I had to get up to breastfeed the twins there about the 3rd week in, and I remember calling a mayoral candidate's office an hour before the polls closed, demanding he tell me why I should give him my vote, because I hadn't had times to read up on the candidate's positions right after #5 was born.  I was pretty punch-drunk a little while then, with 3 wee ones.  I'm a big believer in it's better to laugh than cry, and there's always something to laugh at (mostly ME) when you've got six daughters!  

@SolomonFundy: I think they just acquired the pigs a few months ago, so I'm not sure if that's even generating any income yet. And she seems to do a LOT of the children's shopping from clearance sales. I know she does some thrift store shopping too for things like jeans.  But she did a whole blog post once about how most of Callie's clothes came from the Baby Gap clearance rack. The Christmas and Birthday presents her kids get (and they usually get about 4 or 5 each) look new and from popular brands that aren't cheap (Melissa and Doug, for instance.) And on her old blog she would put up more pictures of the birthday parties for the kids, and they did seem to all have a theme, with specific plates and decorations that were different for each child's party. Damn, I hate myself just a little bit for knowing this much about the life of someone that I don't even know.  I think I know more about some of these fundies than I do about my own relatives!

I'm not saying that I think that it's impossible that they could be making ends meet, I just think there's a possibility that she could be pulling a Kristina and be on assistance while pretending she's not. Especially when it comes to the hospital bills. I'm not sure how they're swinging that. Even with good insurance (and I doubt the pastor of a new-ish church has great insurance) frequent hospital births and NICU stays and broken bones can get expensive. 

1 hour ago, RoseWilder said:

@SolomonFundy: I think they just acquired the pigs a few months ago, so I'm not sure if that's even generating any income yet. And she seems to do a LOT of the children's shopping from clearance sales. I know she does some thrift store shopping too for things like jeans.  But she did a whole blog post once about how most of Callie's clothes came from the Baby Gap clearance rack. The Christmas and Birthday presents her kids get (and they usually get about 4 or 5 each) look new and from popular brands that aren't cheap (Melissa and Doug, for instance.) And on her old blog she would put up more pictures of the birthday parties for the kids, and they did seem to all have a theme, with specific plates and decorations that were different for each child's party. Damn, I hate myself just a little bit for knowing this much about the life of someone that I don't even know.  I think I know more about some of these fundies than I do about my own relatives!

I'm not saying that I think that it's impossible that they could be making ends meet, I just think there's a possibility that she could be pulling a Kristina and be on assistance while pretending she's not. Especially when it comes to the hospital bills. I'm not sure how they're swinging that. Even with good insurance (and I doubt the pastor of a new-ish church has great insurance) frequent hospital births and NICU stays and broken bones can get expensive. 

Isn't it gloriously awkward to have the ability to cite Courtney's social media history as a conversational resource? :) I feel the same way about knowing some of this stuff.

Ultimately, we are both just trying to interpret what little we see, and we may not interpret it the same way. That's awesome, because it's nice to read another perspective. For instance, since she seems to make a special point of showing off new name-brand items, and those types of posts are few and far between, I concluded that the majority of the children's current clothing did not come from Gap/etc. However, I can see why you would believe otherwise. (She does seem to be getting some freebies and c/o items for the twins.) I 100% agree with you that the children had fancier parties 3-4 babies ago, but that tends to be the case with all growing families. The younger ones get a kiss on the cheek and a box cake, while the eldest may have had a church party, bakery cake, and ensemble cast of 30 people to watch them blow out the candles at the same age. The recent parties (since their move) have been much simpler. 

I wouldn't be shocked if they were on assistance, and as I said before, maybe they are. Personally, I see how it's possible that they could make things work without it, but the issue of their self-sufficiency doesn't really affect my opinion of them one way or the other. If Courtney were constantly blasting people who accepted public assistance while hiding her own participation, I would feel differently. 

It was infuriating when Kristina's husband Josh was railing against public assistance while they were on it themselves. It takes a special kind of hypocrite to do that. But Courtney has made it clear on her posts that she's a Republican, so I would still find it irritating if she's on public assistance. Very few things in life irritate me more than a person who thinks they deserve to have access to public assistance but no one else does. 

20 hours ago, JMarie said:

If it's twins again:  Clive and Chive?  I dunno, I just want her next kid to be named Chive.

I'd love that!!!! We should suggest those name to her. Although I hope she won't have another set of twins so soon.

lolz at courtney's latest instagram post about buying her son clearance legos: those are definitely lego FRIENDS - the "girl" legos. (you know, the ones that are offensively simpler and bigger than normal legos and pink and purple themed). look at courtney, subverting gender roles by buying her son a "girl" toy! http://www.lego.com/en-us/friends

54 minutes ago, picklepizzas said:

lolz at courtney's latest instagram post about buying her son clearance legos: those are definitely lego FRIENDS - the "girl" legos. (you know, the ones that are offensively simpler and bigger than normal legos and pink and purple themed). look at courtney, subverting gender roles by buying her son a "girl" toy! http://www.lego.com/en-us/friends

Those may be Lego Friends which are meant for girls, but they are not bigger or simpler.  My daughter has 5 or 6 sets and loves putting them together.  I also got her a large box of Classic Legos and the Lego Friends are the same size as those. The Lego Juniors are the bigger, simpler ones targeted to 4-7 year olds.

10 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

Those may be Lego Friends which are meant for girls, but they are not bigger or simpler.  My daughter has 5 or 6 sets and loves putting them together.  I also got her a large box of Classic Legos and the Lego Friends are the same size as those. The Lego Juniors are the bigger, simpler ones targeted to 4-7 year olds.

To me, the designs seem to revolve around more pre-made pieces than the gender neutral toys. And the human figures are more "simple" in that their legs and wrists don't move. But I will concede that I'm judging those components without having purchased the toys and examined them.

As a girl raised playing with the "boy" Legos, I'm just disappointed to see that girls suddenly need separate Legos with special girly colors and figurines. I was flabbergasted when I walked into the Lego section at target to shop for my niece and was bombarded by Lego friends "shopping malls" and pop star houses. It's a shocking contrast to the arctic expedition sets I had growing up. But I do know that before Lego friends the majority of Lego buyers were boys so I guess I can't fault Lego for successfully trying to capture the female market. *shrug* :/

Kinda hoping she has another girl so Callie has some company. Clara, Clemmie, Chloe, Cora, Cara... etc etc

17 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Kinda hoping she has another girl so Callie has some company. Clara, Clemmie, Chloe, Cora, Cara... etc etc

Cholera... sorry, couldn't resist

maybe they'll go the pecan'n'priss route and name the next girl 'chrissy' (since husband's name is chris)

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 7:21 AM, ophelia said:

I'd love that!!!! We should suggest those name to her. Although I hope she won't have another set of twins so soon.

Like she'd listen to us.

Of course she wouldn't. But it is still a funny thought. And she ever looks for new baby names, this thread could be a great inspiration to her.

On 3/18/2016 at 7:56 AM, JMarie said:

If it's twins again:  Clive and Chive?  I dunno, I just want her next kid to be named Chive.

I vote for Cheese and Chive, after my favorite omelet filling.

On March 19, 2016 at 4:47 PM, violynn said:

I am pretty low-key about it, now that you've said it, I just realized ;)     I did go through a period of crying every time I had to get up to breastfeed the twins there about the 3rd week in, and I remember calling a mayoral candidate's office an hour before the polls closed, demanding he tell me why I should give him my vote, because I hadn't had times to read up on the candidate's positions right after #5 was born.  I was pretty punch-drunk a little while then, with 3 wee ones.  I'm a big believer in it's better to laugh than cry, and there's always something to laugh at (mostly ME) when you've got six daughters!  

I'm becoming positive that you and I would be real-life friends.  

11 hours ago, ophelia said:

Imagine her having triplets :my_confused:

Bite your tongue!!!  

On 3/18/2016 at 10:52 PM, RoseWilder said:

It was infuriating when Kristina's husband Josh was railing against public assistance while they were on it themselves. It takes a special kind of hypocrite to do that. But Courtney has made it clear on her posts that she's a Republican, so I would still find it irritating if she's on public assistance. Very few things in life irritate me more than a person who thinks they deserve to have access to public assistance but no one else does. 

First off, my husband didn't rail against those who are on it and need it, he railed on those that cheat the system, and don't need them at all.  That was his point.  Having been at a place in our finances where we needed the help, we obviously can't judge anyone for having to use what is available to them.  We just don't agree with abusing the system.  That, is what my husband was "railing against".  

Glad to be back, btw.

30 minutes ago, 3_and_counting said:

First off, my husband didn't rail against those who are on it and need it, he railed on those that cheat the system, and don't need them at all.  That was his point.  Having been at a place in our marriage where we needed the help, we obviously can't judge anyone for having to use what is available to them.  We just don't agree with abusing the system.  That, is what my husband was "railing against".  

Glad to be back, btw.

Could you please post a link to that blog entry? I don't remember reading anything in his blog post about abuses in the system, it seemed to just be about people being on it at all. But I'm always willing to admit when I was mistaken about something. 

And while we're on the subject of abuses in the system, I consider being on assistance while actively trying to have more children abusing the system. I have no problem with people being on assistance because they fell on hard times. But I do have a problem with people being on assistance who put themselves in those hard circumstances, continue to do things to prolong those hard times and then expect the rest of us to pay for their lifestyle choices. 

16 minutes ago, RoseWilder said:

Could you please post a link to that blog entry? I don't remember reading anything in his blog post about abuses in the system, it seemed to just be about people being on it at all. But I'm always willing to admit when I was mistaken about something. 

And while we're on the subject of abuses in the system, I consider being on assistance while actively trying to have more children abusing the system. I have no problem with people being on assistance because they fell on hard times. But I do have a problem with people being on assistance who put themselves in those hard circumstances, continue to do things to prolong those hard times and then expect the rest of us to pay for their lifestyle choices. 

It will take me a while to find it.

We were already pregnant with the twins when my husband's job cut his hours of work drastically.  We were off of them by the time we got pregnant with Brianna. So, we were never actively trying to have babies while on Assistance.  

Archived