IGNORED

BYU Law School investigated for discrimination

ADoyle90815

If I remember correctly in the middle of 1970, Mormon church started to let Black's hold priesthood positions and go to the Temple. Whoever was the President of the Church received a revelation from god to do it. No it was the US government either they do it and accept Blacks at BYU or they would lose federal money and their students could not apply for federal grants or loans. It is a joke if there are five white guys on the basketball court during a college basketball game who is BYU is playing?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, DarkAnts said:

I remember the first time I saw an African American. It was not something you saw normally in Utah in the early 1990's. 

The soda thing is not a problem for some Mormons. One of my friends said that the words of wisdom prohibited the drinking of all hot beverages. The church even said that the ban did not include soda. 

Tangentially related: I came across a teen magazine from the early 70s(when the Osmonds were a Big Deal)and there was an letter from a fan saying "You published a photo of them drinking SODA!  I thought Mormons don't do that!" and it was explained that ginger ale/root beer/orange soda were okay because they are non-caffeinated.

Regarding the hot vs. cold beverages, I think (at least here in Happy Valley) that it's a blanket prohibition of all coffee and tea products regardless of temperature. I once worked with a guy who took great pains to explain to me that he was drinking tea made from the petals of plants, not the roots, so he is still obeying the Word of Wisdom (I don't know either. It was strange - all I asked was what kind of tea he was drinking because it smelled yummy). However, hot chocolate is okay.

DH and I just chalk it up to Kenneth Parcell:

Spoiler

temp.gif.3f4316cf9844aa9ba100a5490ccc72c

Interestingly enough- some of the Mormon offshoot groups (polygamists, etc.) still allow coffee and tea and some even drink wine and liquor.  The Word of Wisdom was not a part of the early church and standard supply lists for pioneers included coffee, tea, etc. I didn't know that until I read a book about a family that crossed the plains to SLC by wagon.  

1 hour ago, TXGirlInAMaterialWorld said:

Interestingly enough- some of the Mormon offshoot groups (polygamists, etc.) still allow coffee and tea and some even drink wine and liquor.  The Word of Wisdom was not a part of the early church and standard supply lists for pioneers included coffee, tea, etc. I didn't know that until I read a book about a family that crossed the plains to SLC by wagon.  

I noticed that when I was watching Polygamy USA. Two of the sister wives were sitting around drinking wine and I was really confused because I had figured they would be more conservative than the LDS church. Interesting to hear the reasoning behind it. 

Archived