IGNORED

In which Abigail the Martyr harasses a man at Goodwill

singsingsing

As a Catholic, I am trying to understand why all the melodrama over puzzle. What does a puzzle have to do with being Catholic? I would never even ask anyone to let me have anything out of their cart since I figure it's there because they wanted it. The most I might do is ask if I could take a picture of it so I could search for it online. I regularly visit goodwills to look for the British version of Harry Potter books ( got the Deadly Hallows on for $3). It wouldn't occur to me that I was owed it more than anyone else.

Jesus doesn't care about puzzles. You don't prove your faith by the toys you have. Did she not see she was coveting someone else's property? She was thinking of stealing a puzzle. This man was not rude to her. He seemed to be following Jesus' principals by doing something to make his wife happy. He showed more of Christ's love than she could even imagine. 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's what also baffles me, as a thrift store advocate -- out of all the things I would buy at a thrift store, I would hesitate about a puzzle for the simple reason that (unless it was unopened) I would expect there to be at least one piece missing.  In fact, when I cleaned out my dad's house after his death, I was faced with a shelf full of jigsaw puzzles (we were definitely a puzzle family when I was a kid) -- and I felt bad donating the opened boxes without being able to reassure the store that all pieces were there -- but at the same time I didn't have the time to actually assemble them before donating, tempting though that was!  It would seem to me that the more important the puzzle is to her, the more she'd want to make sure she got a complete one.

tl;dr -- people are strange.

She's a nutbag. Just straight up looney tunes. It scares me that she's raising children. 

It's a f-ing puzzle! She acts like its the Christ child himself. "I couldn't bear to see the place where I'd prayed my first Hail Mary shoved under a Hooters plate". And "I knew it was legit because it said "Notre Dame de Paris"" if it's that important to you (again, it's a puzzle of a place you like, not the damn place itself) go buy one. And while you're at it, peel your herd of children away from the electronics, it sounds like they have a problem. 

Also she would've been cool with that guy having it if he said he would put it together with his wife? How does that change it? How does "I'm going out of my way to get something that I don't care for, but my wife will enjoy and specifically asked me to pick up" make him somehow less worthy of having it? What a strange way of thinking. Not "hey, that's good of him to brave this insanity to get a little goody/present for his wife because their power might also go out". Nope, it's "this's asshole isn't even going to put it together himself. And he probably hasn't even been to Paris! How dare he!

Oh. Dear. First time I ever read this blogger's stuff.  Do I *want* to go down that Rabbit Hole?---are all the Rescue Ferrets tied up already? Please advise.

This Snowzilla storm didn't exactly pop up out of nowhere. To some extent, "your lack of poor planning does not merit a reflex emergency response from me." What sort of turkey tries to hit Goodwill, the library, Target, AND Aldi's  (even though butter is super-critical in a blizzard, eyeroll) when a storm is less than three hours away?

Now, if the guy had something like 50 puzzles (especially kid-themed ones) in the cart and the shelves were barren, I can stretch charity to asking (once) "may I buy ONE of those puzzles from you?--in case the storm is really long-lasting?"  And yes or no, you accept the holder's decision. But the fixation on "wow, what an expensive puzzle! and I'm RC, so DESERVING!!"---sounds like someone has a MAJOR sense of entitlement. Not to mention SEVERE craziness. Grabbing something out of someone else's cart at a freaking GOODWILL?

Why does she talk about Harry Potter with such condescension but Star Wars is fine? Did anyone else pick up on that? Or is Harry Potter just terrible because of its proxemity to this hulking rage monster (aka guy minding his own business while running errands) 

4 minutes ago, Mrsaztx said:

Why does she talk about Harry Potter with such condescension but Star Wars is fine? Did anyone else pick up on that? Or is Harry Potter just terrible because of its proxemity to this hulking rage monster (aka guy minding his own business while running errands) 

I honestly don't think it's anything specifically to do with Harry Potter - I think it's because she just has absolutely no self-awareness.

6 minutes ago, Mrsaztx said:

I think it may relate to the fact that anything HER kid is interested in magically becomes an important area of mastery and expertise.

"If you haven't seen Alex in a while, you might not understand how deeply committed to Star Wars: The Force Awakens, this kid has become. He talked to me about how he was going to modify the Play Station Gun to become the perfect Storm Trooper weapon. My son talked to me about paper craft, weapon design, and stage craft with the intensity of a Broadway Prop Director. Then we talked about Adam Driver's Saturday Night Live skit where he goes "Undercover Boss" as Kylo Ren."

Other kids just play Star Wars -- mine becomes an expert in Prop Direction!!

She calls talking about the SNL skit "making esoteric jokes about Star Wars." Later she says the puzzle would be perfect for "my 11 year old son, the orgami lover [sic], and my 8 year old French Baker."

I really worry that with narcissistic Abigail, this kind of stuff is what passes for homeschool. This family is full of Practically Professional Artists!! so who needs textbooks or math.

If I found one of those 3D puzzles at Goodwill, you would have to pry it out of my cold dead fingers. I love them but they are ridiculously overpriced brand new.  For $4 I would put up with a few missing pieces.

OK, dove down the rabbithole. In the alcove posting of 28 April 2015 ("An excellent wife....), Abigail mentions that she went to law school. 

>>...God let me mentally play out the scenario of my grabbing a 3 D puzzle of Notre Dame Cathedral. "I might go to jail for some bogus charge of battery," but my husband would be supportive.  Then God showed me Claire W's face, who is a fellow attorney and fellow pro-life Catholic inside my town. I pictured her face as I called her to tell her that I needed her babysit my 6 kids while her husband, a criminal defense attorney, bailed me out of jail. "She's in jail for a puzzle?" I pictured her saying. 

"It's not a puzzle. It's a principle!" I pictured myself saying in response. Then I pictured losing that argument with Claire in the same way I was losing my argument with God.<<

Histrionic, much, maybe?

9 minutes ago, SusanAtTheLastBattle said:

I think it may relate to the fact that anything HER kid is interested in magically becomes an important area of mastery and expertise.

I think that is probably the case! Abigail and her brood are so interesting...others just wouldn't understand. Your kid may like Star Wars...but her kid LOVES it. I also remember back when they lived in one of their many apartments, one of her girls took dance lessons and just getting her to the lesson on time and in the right leotard was this all-consuming thing. It took about 49 saints to get her through it. This woman is not dealing with a full deck. 

I have officially fallen down this rabbit hole.  I've only been exposed to Abigail a bit here and there on FreeJinger, but just spent a few hours reading both her blog and past posts here.  And yeah...true poverty would involve selling that XBox, not questioning a kid's purchase of a Playstation gun because it isn't compatible with the XBox.

It reminds me of a more-than-acquaintance-but-less-than-a-friend.  Her daughter and my daughter are in middle school together, and she is similarly self-absorbed and totally batshit insane.  She has not had a regular, steady job in three years.  She has GOTTEN a few jobs in the "food marketing consulting" field, but never lasts more than a month or two because she inevitably misses a bunch of work for her drama.  This lady lives in a VERY wealthy area (as does my ex-husband, on my dime, but donotgetmestartedonthat), and will post regularly on Facebook about what it's like to live in poverty, how much she's learned, blah blah blah.  Followed immediately by a post about her thrice-weekly housekeeper, paid for by her brother's family.  Followed immediately thereafter by a post about how she took her daughter and a few friends to a fancy indoor waterpark resort for a birthday celebration.  Followed immediately thereafter after by a post about how she has no grocery money.  She is utterly delusional.  Missing, however, is the constant Catholic/Carmelite refrain.

Yeah, the poverty thing is ridiculous and her own doing. I understand what it means to live with a tight budget and to worry about surving month to month, but that's not all there is to poverty. She could make some minor changes and they'd be more comfortable. Hell, she could, you know, work, even part time, and send her kids to a regular school, and they'd be in a lot better position. 

For those who haven't experienced Abigail before, her father is also waiting in the wings to rescue them when finances get too bad.

Abigail is a very, very poor money manager. She seems incapable of sticking to a budget, & I am not sure how she managed her income to support herself before she decided to throw up her hands, give up the law practice, and stay home to pop out babies for Jesus. Seriously. It borders on kind of bizarre fixation, that she must believe herself poor, regardless of their income, regardless of their possessions, regardless of their privilege and opportunities. Because, I suppose, most religious orders take photos of poverty, therefore Abigail must be poor.

I was tempted to leave a comment and asking if she had left out the paragraphs where she, or he, had done something that would warrant the police being called. Maybe that's because I live in Chicago, but two people arguing over a puzzle at Goodwill wouldn't even rate a second look for most of the people around here. Maybe if it came to blows. MAYBE. Even then, bystanders or employees would probably just yank the two people apart, and kick them both out of the store. Especially a 40 year old woman and an elderly man.

The more I think about this, the more annoyed I get. Abigail, who is supposed to be so holy, so above earthly concerns, was willing to think about physically assaulting an elderly man in order to get what she wanted. That is so unbelievably selfish, and such a terrible example for her children, that it really blows my mind. Maybe Abigail added the hyperbole about going to jail because somewhere inside her, she recognizes that she behaved abominably.

1 hour ago, samira_catlover said:

OK, dove down the rabbithole. In the alcove posting of 28 April 2015 ("An excellent wife....), Abigail mentions that she went to law school. 

>>...God let me mentally play out the scenario of my grabbing a 3 D puzzle of Notre Dame Cathedral. "I might go to jail for some bogus charge of battery," but my husband would be supportive.  Then God showed me Claire W's face, who is a fellow attorney and fellow pro-life Catholic inside my town. I pictured her face as I called her to tell her that I needed her babysit my 6 kids while her husband, a criminal defense attorney, bailed me out of jail. "She's in jail for a puzzle?" I pictured her saying. 

"It's not a puzzle. It's a principle!" I pictured myself saying in response. Then I pictured losing that argument with Claire in the same way I was losing my argument with God.<<

Histrionic, much, maybe?

And exactly what principle is that? That she is more deserving than other people? And she makes it seem that the other women gathered around to protect her (from this poor man who was minding his own business) instead of distracting her from tormenting him. Whatever happened to thou shall not covet thy neighbor's goods?

You're losing the argument with God, Abigail, because you're wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Anybody gathering around was probably there gaping, appalled that a grown woman was making such a spectacle of herself in a thrift store over a puzzle.

And I think you're correct. The principle was that Abigail wanted the puzzle, and someone else had it. Abigail is holier than everyone else, and prays more than everyone else, and has such a great relationship with all the saints, Mary, Jesus, and God, that she should always get what she wants. If Abigail is not getting what Abigail wants, it is clear to her that someone else is doing something wrong. She is being discriminated against, she is being judged - she is never at fault. Because Jesus. Also Roman Catholic. REASONS. Abigail is always right, she's never unreasonable, it's always that other people are judging her, taking things away from her, and being mean to her.

3 minutes ago, Artemesia said:

Whatever happened to thou shall not covet thy neighbor's goods?

But, but it was a 3D puzzle of NOTRE DAME!!!111!!!!1  It's totally exempt from the 10th commandment.   Totally. 

"In a second, it felt like that shopping cart at Goodwill contained everything wrong with the world."

Um...self-aggrandizing much Abigail?

Also, someone needs to explain to her that there are 3D puzzles of all major sites of architectural interest. That mass produced Notre Dame puzzle is not a religious relic and I'm sure the producers of it are not all devout Catholics, if they are religious at all. 

3 hours ago, sawasdee said:

This woman makes me ashamed I was even RAISED Catholic.

She manages to make me ashamed that my grandmother was Catholic. But, mainly, I'm embarrassed for my grandmother, who I suspect was a saint, and I'm agnostic. Ms "Mommy Mary" doesn't deserve to exist in the same world as my grandmother.

Well that was just bizarre... I understand doing stupid stuff in the heat of the moment, but it takes a while to go home and get ready to blog about it - you'd have time to reflect and realize it was a commercial product, not the cornerstone of your faith and you made a spectacle of yourself over nothing.

Wow that was bizarre. I think it's gone now though. It was there a few minutes ago, but gone now.

think she was trying to say in the end that God was showing her she was wrong for coveting the puzzle, that was what the fantasizing about stealing /fighting for the puzzle and being arrested was about. If it wasn't I sign completely confused.

Surprise, surprise - the post has now disappeared! I wish I'd thought to take a screen grab, but - it's gone. It's been replaced by a blog post about her involvement in a clean water conference, which seems like a very worthy endeavour.

The post is a bit weird - it really looks like she copied and pasted a news article that someone else wrote. But when I paste the text into google, nothing comes up. So I can't figure out if she lifted the article from somewhere else, or if she composed it herself and is writing about herself in the third person.

Archived