IGNORED

In which Abigail the Martyr harasses a man at Goodwill

singsingsing

Just when I was starting to think that our favourite super duper Catholic blogger Abigail was starting to settle down and cultivate some sanity, she busts out with this magnificent tale:

abigailbenjamin.net/abigailsblog/2016/1/25/how-i-almost-went-to-jail-over-a-puzzle

It has all the hallmarks of an Abigail classic: showy 'poverty', an impending catastrophe (the blizzard), adventures being in public with ~sooooo~ many kids, big old mean non-Catholic meanies, bizarre interpretations of normal human behaviour, and enough hyperbole to make Donald Trump blush.

Please read the whole post, because I can't do it justice. But I think this is the highlight and really sums it up - after she's asked the man ahead of her in line if she can have the Notre Dame puzzle in his cart, and he's declined multiple times, she busts out with:

"But you don't even know what you have," I said. "I'm a Catholic. I've been to Paris and seen that church. I'll pay double."

The sheer arrogance, cluelessness, and dumbassery is mind-boggling. 

You really need to read the post to get the full effect, but of course she ends with a classically inexplicable musing about how she came soooo close to being attacked by this man, or being thrown in jail (for being a Catholic, naturally).

Funnily enough, this is the only comment on the post - 'Lauren', I don't know who you are, but you nailed it:

To be honest, I think you were really rude to ask that man for the puzzle in the first place. Then, after he said no, you made it worse by pressing the situation and bringing your faith into. You then made a lot of assumptions about the man and his behavior and his marriage (as an aside, my husband calls me the wife all the time, and it is not disrespectful), without thinking about what problems he might be having in his life at that moment. Yes, it was good you prayed for him, but I think your attitude towards him was the exact opposite of charitable. Also, you were never in risk of going to jail. How silly and self-indulgent. I think your entire reading of the situation is off. I suggest praying about the virtues of charity and humility, true representations of Our Heavenly Mother Mary, not a plastic breakable model of an earthly structy

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's me! I hadn't looked at Abigail's blog in months and happened to go yesterday. I was just disgusted at her whole attitude. If she thinks having a puzzle somehow makes her more super Catholic, then she is nuttier than any of us realized. 

The whole post was just super annoying. And yes my husband calls me The Wife, or just Wife. It means I'm the only one for him, thus the definite article. Yeesh. 

@anjulibai Seriously? You literally nailed it. I was so close to commenting, but when I read yours, you had already said every single thing I would have written. 

I honest to God had been starting to think that she had calmed down, gained some perspective, and changed (for the better). Then I read this post. And yikes.

3 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

@anjulibai Seriously? You literally nailed it. I was so close to commenting, but when I read yours, you had already said every single thing I would have written. 

I honest to God had been starting to think that she had calmed down, gained some perspective, and changed (for the better). Then I read this post. And yikes.

Yup, it was me. I debated saying anything, but the sheer rudeness and self-absorbtion of that post was just too much. I've seen people like her IRL, and they always have some reason for their behavior, though it's usually not being Catholic.

The fact that she uses her Catholicism as an excuse for her acquisitiveness and lack of empathy somehow just makes it worse. Charity and humility are some of the most basic Catholic teachings (the behavior of certain Catholic leaders through the centuries notwithstanding). She keeps saying how much she admires Pope Francis, and yet I have no doubt if she ever had the chance to tell this story to him, he'd totally chastise her and tell her to go to confession. Because if Francis is anything, he is charitible and humble. 

Oh, and I wonder who Claire and Rita are. Idiots who agreed with her behavior? 

Even though there were kids present that man should have told her to fuck off.

2 minutes ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Even though there were kids present that man should have told her to fuck off.

He was certainly more polite than Abigail.

Oooh, she thanked me for my "interesing" comment! Someone comment that they agree with me! 

Unbelievable.

Being Catholic means Abigail having all the Catholicism to herself!!1! Religious imagery is wasted on anyone but her.

How sacrilegious to see the Notre Dame puzzle in that heathen man's cart next to a Harry Potter puzzle. It belonged in her cart, next to a Play Station Star Wars gun! :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll:

I really thought her spending $13 on some jacked up Hobby Lobby crap when they were flat broke was going to be her worst shopping adventure :pb_rollseyes:

She must have been reading the Rodrigues blog. I don't know how they manage to have all these ridiculous, fraught experiences at freaking Goodwill.

ETA: I also forgot how much I hate all of her talk about her "Mommy Mary". It's almost as bad as chucklefuck's *rye smile*.

That biatch Abigail needs help. The public is in danger of encountering her until she gets it. 

Off to google Harry Potter puzzles to buy. 

What a mind-bogglingly entitled woman. And she did all this while her children watched. I'd be so ashamed of my nasty, entitled behavior that I would PRAY that my kids forgot and that no one I knew saw me. I most certainly would not brag about my snotty attitude in public and then claim that snatching up an expensive puzzle (because the number of times she mentioned the value makes me think it was more about money than "the principle") was similar to "going to jail for her Catholic faith." 

Bah. 

53 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

He was certainly more polite than Abigail.

Oooh, she thanked me for my "interesing" comment! Someone comment that they agree with me! 

I tried but it's awaiting moderation.  Bet it doesn't see the light of day.  You were absolutely spot on.  How does Abigail know that he wasn't buying this puzzle for his terminally ill wife who will delight in the memory of their honeymoon together in Paris?

I don't know why, because I've been reading her blog for years, but I'm actually stunned by how delusional she is. How could she possibly think that she would have been justified in snatching the puzzle out of that guy's cart, or that he was on the verge of attacking her, or that Jesus and Mary would have nodded in approval at her 'liberating' a 3D puzzle from an evil heathen at Goodwill, or that her actions in reality were anything less than incredibly rude and embarrassing, much less something to brag about on her blog? I mean, just... ?????

I actually think it would have been reasonable, if she truly had her heart set on the puzzle, for her to say something like, "Excuse me, sir, I've been looking for a puzzle just like that for ages, and I'd be willing to pay you double for it." Then, when he refused, the charitable, reasonable thing to do would have been to smile, nod, shut up and forget about it.

My guess is that she closes her comments section completely again within the day, due to 'receiving scorn'.

1 hour ago, anjulibai said:

Oh, and I wonder who Claire and Rita are. Idiots who agreed with her behavior? 

Maybe she's referring to St. Claire and St. Rita??

One of my pet peeves is people who think they are more Catholic than anyone else.

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

I don't know why, because I've been reading her blog for years, but I'm actually stunned by how delusional she is. How could she possibly think that she would have been justified in snatching the puzzle out of that guy's cart, or that he was on the verge of attacking her, or that Jesus and Mary would have nodded in approval at her 'liberating' a 3D puzzle from an evil heathen at Goodwill, or that her actions in reality were anything less than incredibly rude and embarrassing, much less something to brag about on her blog? I mean, just... ?????

I actually think it would have been reasonable, if she truly had her heart set on the puzzle, for her to say something like, "Excuse me, sir, I've been looking for a puzzle just like that for ages, and I'd be willing to pay you double for it." Then, when he refused, the charitable, reasonable thing to do would have been to smile, nod, shut up and forget about it.

My guess is that she closes her comments section completely again within the day, due to 'receiving scorn'.

My guess, too. My comment posted immediately, but now @docmom's post is awaiting moderation. 

I was actually surprised to see comments open, since she usually keeps them closed. Smarter that way for her. 

1 minute ago, anjulibai said:

My guess, too. My comment posted immediately, but now @docmom's post is awaiting moderation. 

I was actually surprised to see comments open, since she usually keeps them closed. Smarter that way for her. 

I guess Jesus told her it was okay to open them again :pb_rollseyes:

I'm not sure why being so super duper conservative Catholic makes Abigal more deserving of a Notre Dame puzzle than anyone else. I consider these world heritage sites to be for all people anywsy. I know she's always complaining about her "poverty" but if she wants it that much, she should just buy it from Amazon and be done with it, rather than throw a public fit for not getting her way like a spoiled toddler.

What tipped her off to the notion that he wasn't Catholic? The Hooters plate?

5 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

What tipped her off to the notion that he wasn't Catholic? The Hooters plate?

We all know good Catholics never eat wings.

Or look at boobs.

11 minutes ago, slickcat79 said:

I guess Jesus told her it was okay to open them again :pb_rollseyes:

And soon he wil tell her to close them. :pb_confused:

That is seriously one of the most delusional things I've read in a looooong time. Jail? JAIL?!? Dramatic much, Abigail?

Does anyone here play the game Crusader Kings II? When one of your characters has the 'possessed' trait sometimes they get the modifier 'Jesus gives military advice' - I feel like Abigail has the modifier 'Jesus gives blogging advice'.

Reading this blog post made me want to just shut my computer off and say "that's enough internet for today." It just breaks my mind that someone could be that incredibly self-absorbed and self-righteous... over a damn puzzle. What a horrible lesson to teach her children. What a horrible way to treat that poor man; I'm amazed he didn't lose his temper at her. 

Also, why does she feel the need to keep repeating that the cashier is blind? It's not relevant to the story, and just makes me wonder why interacting with someone who is blind would be so noteworthy to an adult. The way she kept repeating it made me feel like it was almost supposed to enhance her story with a parable vibe or something.

That was my first time reading Abigail's blog. She's quite dramatic! That was ridiculous. I'm stunned. 

This woman makes me ashamed I was even RAISED Catholic.

I don't read this woman's blog but had to read the entry of how she almost went to jail over a puzzle.  She is delusional.  

Archived