IGNORED

Negative effects of the patriarchy on males

Mrsaztx

5 hours ago, PraiseDog said:

It strikes me as an unsustainable way of life, even within their unique frame of logic, that these families fully espouse the pre-industrial version of traditional roles for women, but at the same time men are discouraged from sports, the military, etc.  Back in the days when 1/3 of women died in childbirth, about the same proportion of men died from wars, farming accidents, exposure while out hunting, etc.  So if they were to achieve their dream of every family in America becoming fundy, in one generation we'd end up like China, where young men can't find wives because there's 5 unmarried men for every woman.  

Pssssh, no, silly, God will handle it. It's only a problem in China because they aren't praying right.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

In comparison, modern quiverfullers and those of a similar mindset believe in ignoring all the dangers of pregnancy and childbirth. For them, pregnancy is what a woman's body is built for, and is no more dangerous than riding in a car (that was an analogy I got from "orthodox" Catholics when I tried to explain how dangerous pregnancy can be). In fact, pregnancy is so natural and wonderful, that it can even be done at home, with no midwives or other medical professionals. The quiverfull obsession with homebirth is basically a big FU to those of us who are concerned with the health effects of repeated pregnancies.

It reminds me of those things that circulate on the Internet/Facebook saying "We grew up without seat belts/car seats/bike helmets and WE SURVIVED!!1!1"(conveniently forgetting that a lot of kids didn't survive, and you don't hear from them.)

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 11:43 PM, THERetroGamerNY said:

There is so much crap packed into that stupid phrase...

Can you even just imagine being locked into a QF marriage, your wife always pregnant, and like 8 kids running around... All you can see is debt, poverty, and empty grasps at promised joy. 

Neither one of you is happy... But you have some dumb aphorism like that basically saying that your misery is fine...

That just boggles my mind!

I'm not giving a dumb aphorism; I meant that the bullshit saddens me deeply (if you notice the post I quoted). .... from your crap-ridden stupid phrase-making dumb-aphorismic salsa. 

eta: and, yes, I *can* imagine it - and that's why it saddens me deeply. Next time, check things out before insulting someone.

4 minutes ago, salsa said:

I'm not giving a dumb aphorism; I meant that the bullshit saddens me deeply (if you notice the post I quoted). .... from your crap-ridden stupid phrase-making dumb-aphorismic salsa. 

eta: and, yes, I *can* imagine it - and that's why it saddens me deeply. Next time, check things out before insulting someone.

You're the one who mis-read: I never said you were promoting the aphorism, much less the one giving it.

And I certainly never insulted you: I never even addressed you.

2 minutes ago, THERetroGamerNY said:

You're the one who mis-read: I never said you were promoting the aphorism, much less the one giving it.

And I certainly never insulted you: I never even addressed you.

My bad.  It was in my "notifications" and you quoted my statement and well I thought you were referring to my statement that I'm saddened as being the aphorism .... I apologize

Just now, salsa said:

My bad.  It was in my "notifications" and you quoted my statement and well.... I apologize

Actually, I see why ... somehow I accidentally clicked on quote when I made a new reply, and you accidentally got put in there. =)

2 minutes ago, THERetroGamerNY said:

Actually, I see why ... somehow I accidentally clicked on quote when I made a new reply, and you accidentally got put in there. =)

D'oh! I've done stuff like that a bazillion times ... c'est la vie. Thanks for helping to clear it up.

Archived