IGNORED

Do they EVER cook from scratch? or garden?

samira_catlover

3 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

More science for ol' JB...I looooove broccoli and never understood how anyone could hate it until i learned that it's one of those things that tastes radically different depending on your genetics.  So to some people broccoli is bitter the way cilantro tastes exactly like soap to me and I can't believe anyone considers it a food.

http://www.livescience.com/39578-why-some-hate-broccoli.html

We could science up the whole project from dirt to table!

I never knew broccoli was like that! Interesting. Any chance turnips are the same way? I've tried and tried and both the actual turnip and the green are just awful to me.  Parsnips, too. Maybe it's the smell, though.  

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

What my dad does with brussel sprouts is roast them with olive oil and pancetta. It's so good that I'll eat them cold.

Yum!  l like almost anything roasted with garlic, rosemary, and olive oil. With pancetta too? I bet it's delicious.

Just now, Hera said:

Any chance turnips are the same way? I've tried and tried and both the actual turnip and the green are just awful to me.  Parsnips, too. Maybe it's the smell, though.  

Turnip bottoms taste sweet to me, I like them.

11 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Turkey bacon is NOT a treat it is a crime.  YUCK!

I don't understand the lack of any skills other than being an incubator. What do they do all day? They have to go stark raving mad with boredom, they don't work, or go to school, they don't read, they don't watch TV, they don't listen to music, they don't really go out and do much.  They have endless hours everyday to just around and look at air. 

Agreed about the turkey bacon. Turkey bacon is an oxymoron. So is vegetarian/vegan bacon.

As to your second thing, they probably just sit around and do their hair and makeup.

Just now, Hera said:

Why don't the Duggars eat bacon? The Southern Baptists I grew up with ate bacon and lots of it! 

Gothard wants them following kosher dietary rules.

1 minute ago, ShepherdontheRock said:

Agreed about the turkey bacon. Turkey bacon is an oxymoron. So is vegetarian/vegan bacon.

I have no issue with non-pork substitutes for bacon, and I have found that good brands of turkey bacon taste just fine. I rarely eat bacon of any kind, but to each her own.

11 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

But doesn't TTC have meat and dairy in it?

They're being really awful at keeping kosher...

http://www.duggarfamilyblog.com/2011/10/duggars-tater-tot-casserole.html

Oh, and it looks like their recipe does.

Clue, Duggars. One major rule of kosher is to not mix dairy and meat. Not that you guys care, anyway, because you twist every other religious belief to work for your fucked-up worldview, your diet is the least of your issues...

It's a sad trend I have noticed, when I was in college I was one of the few that knew how to cook. I've been making my own dinners since I was 10 and decided I didn't want to eat beef anymore. 

Send one of the kids from Master chef Jr to the tth, then you'd have embarrassed duggars.

6 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

For whatever culty reason that may be. Whatever GotHard wants, they just do it. He became their idol.

29 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

I think they all need a refresher course in what kosher actually means lol. I eat turkey bacon because I haven't had pork in more than 6 years. Not kosher just don't eat pork. Their casseroles are definitely not kosher. Gothy needs to start handing out Torahs, especially the food sections. 

31 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Bizarre. It's like they just threw a dart at Themes from the Old Testament to Follow.

1 hour ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Except not totally kosher. Just no pigs. He's also against alcohol and dancing, which (so far as I know) are not in the bible. 

Anyways, back to the gardening thing: the Duggars don't actually have time for gardening. I know it sounds weird cause they homeschool and all, but they spend like 1/2 the growing season or more traveling all over the fucking place, dropping in on friends, going to speaking engagements, going to homeschool conferences, backing political people, taking pretend mission trips, etc. Unless they hired a team of people to come and do it for them, the garden would die. And, if they're hiring all those people they may as well just buy the food. 

3 minutes ago, DuggarsTheEndIsNear said:

Except not totally kosher. Just no pigs. He's also against alcohol and dancing, which (so far as I know) are not in the bible. 

I thought they couldn't eat shrimp either, but I may be full of it.

On January 26, 2016 at 5:49 PM, choralcrusader8613 said:

They eat turkey bacon, and I think they do get beef hot dogs.

Oh yeah, wasn't there a scene where they were rolling hot dogs in pastry dough but Michelle was calling them "cows in a blanket" or something lame because said they don't eat pork, just beef dogs? 

12 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

I thought they couldn't eat shrimp either, but I may be full of it.

Maybe? I can't say I've ever heard them even mention seafood. 

@multiple posters: Help me out here; haven't had cable for years, and not all that familiar with Gothardism.

So no booze, 'cause Baptist. No pig meat, but dairy and meat mixes are OK.  No info yet available on permissibility of seafood (or any fish-critter lacking gills and scales)---like anyone could afford shrimp for 20. Does ATI insist on kosher/halal slaughtered meat, and/or a ban on beef hindquarters unless the sciatic nerve is removed?

Did Acts 11:5-10 get repealed or recalled or something when I was napping?

And why just the partial dietary limits? As purity-obsessed as some of the fundies seem to be, I'm frankly surprised they don't have mikvehs in regular use.

**Me soooooo confused....**

23 minutes ago, samira_catlover said:

@multiple posters: Help me out here; haven't had cable for years, and not all that familiar with Gothardism.

So no booze, 'cause Baptist. No pig meat, but dairy and meat mixes are OK.  No info yet available on permissibility of seafood (or any fish-critter lacking gills and scales)---like anyone could afford shrimp for 20. Does ATI insist on kosher/halal slaughtered meat, and/or a ban on beef hindquarters unless the sciatic nerve is removed?

Did Acts 11:5-10 get repealed or recalled or something when I was napping?

And why just the partial dietary limits? As purity-obsessed as some of the fundies seem to be, I'm frankly surprised they don't have mikvehs in regular use.

**Me soooooo confused....**

Because Gothard doesn't care about the bible. He cares about controlling people. And what better way to control them than by using random rules?

2 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

They were once shown making homemade laundry detergent, doesn't really count because nonfood.

ten bucks says there are Tide Pods somewhere in the TTH.

i;ve been making the laundry detergent for about 5 years now.  my sister wanted a big jug of Tide for Christmas (we request many practical things--i got a rototiller), and i had forgotten how %$#@ expensive it is.  i paired it with the ingredients for a double batch of homemade, and said this will give you four gallons for about 53 cents, and will last as long as the Tide.

2 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I think they all need a refresher course in what kosher actually means lol. I eat turkey bacon because I haven't had pork in more than 6 years. Not kosher just don't eat pork. Their casseroles are definitely not kosher. Gothy needs to start handing out Torahs, especially the food sections. 

I don't think they claim to follow "kosher," do they?  They just claim to follow some OT dietary laws.  And this means they go straight to the OT and interpret it the way Gothard tells them.  Gothard is not consulting the Kosher rules that developed over time.  He just picks the OT rules that resonate for him.

I am curious if they actually use the word "kosher."

15 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

I don't think they claim to follow "kosher," do they?  They just claim to follow some OT dietary laws.  And this means they go straight to the OT and interpret it the way Gothard tells them.  Gothard is not consulting the Kosher rules that developed over time.  He just picks the OT rules that resonate for him.

I am curious if they actually use the word "kosher."

I've never heard them use it. I've heard what you've heard "we don't eat it cause the bible." It's the same reasoning behind "girls wear dresses cause the bible"

58 minutes ago, samira_catlover said:

No info yet available on permissibility of seafood (or any fish-critter lacking gills and scales)---like anyone could afford shrimp for 20. Does ATI insist on kosher/halal slaughtered meat, and/or a ban on beef hindquarters unless the sciatic nerve is removed?

Well, I believe they tried sushi in Japan, so I think seafood is okay. But maybe the lack of shellfish has more to do with the fact that Arkansas is a land-locked state, and seafood is expensive, and too sophisticated for Duggar palates.

And HALAL SLAUGHTERED MEAT? HALAL????

They can't eat Halal! It's MUSLIM MEAT! SO EBIL AND WRONG!

Really though. The only people in their mind more wrong than Catholics and Atheists are the EVIL MUSLIMS who want to destroy them because they love Jesus.

On the dietary side I bet anything that they probably avoid seafood for taste reasoning unless the it's one of the few Duggers trying to eat healthy. I know multiple people who won't touch seafood cause of the taste no matter how its prepared. 

As for hotdogs they could be using turkey dogs they are just as yummy and a fraction of the price. Also turkey bacon is amazing especially when it's prepared with a bit of brown sugar.

With pork I avoid it for the most part. Every time I eat pork that isn't pepperoni (and occasionally ham) I get supper sick to my stomach more so then anything else. It sucks monkey balls because I have to be beyond careful of anything my MIL makes cause if not I would be spending the next several days in a fetal position from just one meal. After 6 years with her son I wished she would remember this little aspect.

3 minutes ago, kjmackin said:

On the dietary side I bet anything that they probably avoid seafood for taste reasoning unless the it's one of the few Duggers trying to eat healthy. I know multiple people who won't touch seafood cause of the taste no matter how its prepared. 

As for hotdogs they could be using turkey dogs they are just as yummy and a fraction of the price. Also turkey bacon is amazing especially when it's prepared with a bit of brown sugar.

With pork I avoid it for the most part. Every time I eat pork that isn't pepperoni (and occasionally ham) I get supper sick to my stomach more so then anything else. It sucks monkey balls because I have to be beyond careful of anything my MIL makes cause if not I would be spending the next several days in a fetal position from just one meal. After 6 years with her son I wished she would remember this little aspect.

I used to have that problem with pepperoni. Thankfully I seem to have outgrown it, but I still avoid it just in case. 

ETA: if it makes you feel any better, my best friend of 10 years keeps forgetting I'm allergic to crustaceans (even the smell of them sets off my allergies) and bringing me plates of them or to places where people are actively cooking them. -_-

8 hours ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

None of the Duggar recipes are Kosher because they mix dairy products with meat (turkey, chicken, ground beef).  

The Duggars do not claim to keep kosher.  They do not require kosher or halal meat.  Gothard simply focuses on one restriction, no pork, and they follow that.

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived