IGNORED

'In God We Trust" on Government Property

roddma

I noticed the DUggars mentioned it was the 60th anniversary of Eisenhower signing in God We trust law.. I. If they want to buy stickers and place on their vehicles fine, but it shouldnt be on government possessions or buildings. SOrry Deputy McDaniel but our nation isnt foudned on Christianity or any other religion.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Liberty-County-others-add-In-God-We-Trust-to-6779863.php

A Federal a lawsuit has been filed to remove the motto from currency by an atheist lawyer.
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/religion/atheists-upset-over-god-we-trust

As a side note, when I see Indiana license plates I always think: I could not live there. It bothers me that in our Canadian national anthem we reference god.  It's wrong, in my opinion. Government buildings, money, national anthems, etc.  I think references to a god should be contained to religious, um, things (can't think of appropriate word!).

In the US, it was a reaction to communism. It wasn't an affirmation that, yeah, we're founded in Christianity. 

This is what happens when children aren't taught accurate history. 

It's like they magically believe abortions began with Roe v Wade and will magically disappear if it's overturned. 

Yeah here in Texas one police department placed prominent cross-shaped stickers on the back patrol cars and another uses  the phrase In God We Trust on patrol cars.  Our governor is beside himself with happiness at this patriotic display.  Our Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton agrees that the latter use is mighty fine: 

It's fine for the Childress Police Department to sport  “In God We Trust” stickers on the back of its police cruisers, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton said in an official opinion released Wednesday (Nov. 2015).

Paxton said the stickers are “a passive use of a motto steeped in our nation’s history” and that the police department would likely win if someone challenged the stickers in court. The ruling came as little surprise, since Paxton had already personally defended the department's use of the slogan.

"There is an unbroken history of official acknowledgment by all three branches of government of the role of religion in American life from at least 1789,” Paxton said in the opinion. “A law enforcement department's decision to display the national motto on its vehicles is consistent with that history. Thus, a court is likely to conclude that a law enforcement department's display of "In God We Trust" on its patrol vehicles is permissible under the Establishment Clause of the U.S. Constitution.”

So, he's got a point.  Why not put the national motto on police cars? 

Police cruisers out in West Texas' Brewster County, basically the empty quarter, have crosses on them.   

District Attorney Rod Ponton, who handles four West Texas counties, has asked [Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton for an opinion on whether sheriff's deputies in Brewster County are allowed to place stickers in the shape of crosses on the back of their patrol vehicles. Ponton made his request in late December, as the sheriff's office came under fire from the Wisconsin-based Freedom From Religion Foundation. 

However, Ken Paxton has not yet responded, he has other issues demanding his immediate attention. Our attorney general, a good christian, god fearing, church going, let's fight against the war on christians kinda guy, may not be so law abiding (innocent until proven guilty and all, but really, we all know he's guilty as sin).  

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton has been charged with two first degree counts of securities fraud, and with a third degree felony for failing to register as a securities adviser with the Texas State Securities Board.

A republican attorney general, in a heavily republican state ruled by a  de facto  crony-ocracy, rife with influence peddling out the kazoo, has not been successful at getting these charges thrown out.  The word from his fellow office holders who also ran (and won!) on the law abiding, good christian, god fearing, church going, let's fight against the war on christians platforms? Crickets. 

I've always thought that Christians who want the name of God on their money have not actually read the Bibles they are so attached to. 

On January 24, 2016 at 10:57 PM, Fascinated said:

As a side note, when I see Indiana license plates I always think: I could not live there. It bothers me that in our Canadian national anthem we reference god.  It's wrong, in my opinion. Government buildings, money, national anthems, etc.  I think references to a god should be contained to religious, um, things (can't think of appropriate word!).

An anti-gay (of course, is there any other kind?) co-sponsor of the bill for those 'In God We Trust' plates was caught in a gay sex scandal back in 2011 after he responded to an ad on Craigslist placed by an 18-year old male looking for a 'sugar daddy:'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2025508/Phillip-Hinkle-Anti-gay-marriage-state-congressman-accused-trying-set-gay-sex-rendezvous-Craigslist.html

Our trips to the family cabin in Michigan include grocery shopping in Indiana, as the small towns are closer than those in MI, and I shake my head every time I see the plates. Real American Family Values my ass. 

Archived