IGNORED

Runnymede?

ArmchairTurnip

I'm trying to figure out if they have accredited counselors.  I'm tempted to email them,  The site reads "Our counseling is two pronged in its approach, marrying therapeutic credibility with Biblical support."  This could mean a couple of things= real counselors who are Christian or just a work and prayer from someone who calls themselves a counselor.  I was impressed with the special education teacher on staff + a nurse.  

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think they have anyone licensed (psychologists, LPCs, SWers, etc.). I downloaded and read part of the Parent Handbook on their site, and it explicitly says on the first page that they are not a mental health treatment facility. So props for being up front about it, I guess. 

The handbook also talks about parents having phone calls within the first 7 days and other more frequent contact & visitation. So I was a little confused, 'cos the FAQ page definitely says no contact for six weeks.

ETA that the site (or maybe the handbook) also talks about how the biblical principles are the most important thing in counseling...then the therapeutic part. Hokay guys. Sure. :pb_rollseyes:

I cannot wrap my head around the idea of a adolescent residential treatment facility not accepting IEPs.  A qualifying condition can (and frequently does) either arise from, or exacerbate pretty much any other issue that would lead a parent to place a teen there.  Neglecting a vulnerable teen's (or any teen's, really) academic struggles and/or needs is just begging to impede possible progress from a therapeutic environment.  So, a statement that a facility either won't accept, or doesn't feel the need to abide by, an IEP, SCREAMS red flag - and clueless staff - to me.  

This kind of thing makes me ragey.  Ugh!!!

I've got three kids, and all three have varying degrees of special needs, from moderately Aspie, to "applying for disability." Reading this stuff is so upsetting, it's hard to type out a response.

One of my kids has some sometimes-severe mental health issues. She's had proper, accredited counseling since she was diagnosed with a severe anxiety issue six years ago. She became unstable this summer, though, and spent a little over a week in an adolescent psych unit. It was unbelievably hard, and she still has a little PTSD over it, but it was absolutely the right thing; even she agrees.

I am extremely low income, disabled single mom. An acquaintance offered biblical counseling, for free. Even though I was fairly desperate, and consider myself a recovering Evangelical Christian, I didn't consider it for even a moment. No fucking way. I knew enough about it to know I'd rather do my best on my own than expose her to that kind of mind-fuck. Thankfully our Medicade paid for her hospital stay. 

So yeah, I cannot imagine even considering sending one of my kids to a facility like this. It makes me ill.

Archived