IGNORED

Miss Raquel's Second Novel- Part 2

keen23

6 hours ago, Georgiana said:

When I first moved out of my parents' house into my first apartment, packing wasn't that big of a deal because I could come back and move stuff kind of as I needed it.

Plus, I didn't have any furniture yet or too many dishes.  It was honestly really easy, barely harder than packing for a long trip.  I think I did it in a night.

Now, when I moved from my apartment into my house, THAT was a nightmare!

True, true. But Raquel twittered about the agony of having to choose which sweatpants to take on her mission trip vacation to Peru, so I'd expect her to go on and on about how hard it is to pack up her stuff for the move.

I wonder if she's really back with the boyfriend.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who thinks Raquel is gonna convert to Judaism, discover head-covering and bread-baking, and find her very own Taliban Tony?

1 hour ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

Who thinks Raquel is gonna convert to Judaism, discover head-covering and bread-baking, and find her very own Taliban Tony?

It'll have to be a really Pinterest-y Judaism though. Tattoos allowed, beach side Shabbat services. 

And Raquel ain't covering that hair. 

16 hours ago, nausicaa25 said:

It'll have to be a really Pinterest-y Judaism though. Tattoos allowed, beach side Shabbat services. 

And Raquel ain't covering that hair. 

She'll probably get a t-shirt that says "חי Maintenance" and become rabidly pro-Netanyahu (unless she meets some cute Palestinian orphan teenage boys).

3 hours ago, xRoo said:

She's moved AND possibly gone on a date night with Ryan and yet nothing on any social media about newfound freedom and passion...

Yeah, what's up with that? I don't want to know that it's 11:11, I want to know whether she's had a fight with her roommates yet and if she's back together with the non-boyfriend.

She waits for 11:11 and makes a wish or something.  I've decided that she camps next to a clock waiting for 11:11 instead of letting it happen spontaneously.  

She posted something (Instagram maybe) about working 9 hours yesterday.  Poor thing, having to work real shifts for rent money.  Welcome to the real world.  

No news on the moving out/boyfriend front, but she did write another shitty "poem". It is about writing and how it doesn't matter how bad your writing is, as long as people finish reading it feeling something you are successful even if the reader finishes and says "what sort of rubbish is this that I just read?!" All that matters is that you created feelings. Bad feelings still count. 

No one is to say if it's good or bad
And if the reader finishes reading your words
And asks 'What in the world did I just read?'
You have succeeded.

49 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

No news on the moving out/boyfriend front, but she did write another shitty "poem". It is about writing and how it doesn't matter how bad your writing is, as long as people finish reading it feeling something you are successful even if the reader finishes and says "what sort of rubbish is this that I just read?!" All that matters is that you created feelings. Bad feelings still count. 

By her definition, then, her poem is a success!  Because I definitely asked "What in the world did I just read?" after finishing it.

Ran over, read the whole thing.  

I find it telling that she says "No one IS to say if it's good or bad"  

Trying to tell us something?  

She only covers make them feel sad.  Or that it was beautiful.  Not what if the reader is sitting thinking 'what the actual heck?"  

'A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction.' - Virginia Woolf

From Raquel's Twitter. Perhaps now she can finish up I Cannot Fathom? We must know what happens to Xaquerie. 

On 1/23/2016 at 0:37 PM, formergothardite said:

She got a new job as a barista. Hopefully this is full time and will help her learn to deal with real life.

She has a new blog post up and one of the things she mentions believing when she was young was that people waited till after college to get married. This doesn't really hold up to past posts when she said that when she was young she believed she would meet the perfect guy when she was 16, be married by the time she was 18 and have a baby by the time she was 19. She also claims that she used to believe everyone went to college, but she has been stating since practically the beginning of her blog(when she was around 14) that college wasn't for her and that lots of successful people didn't go to college, so she clearly didn't believe everyone went to college. 

I don't think Raquel actually believed some of this stuff when she was young, she is claiming to because she thinks it sounds good. 

Her earlier thoughts reflect the teaching of the church her family went to, a long time ago. I remember the brainwashing: college is overpriced, you graduate with poor job prospects and loaded with debt, and while you're there, the professors and staff are actively trying to destroy the faith your parents were at pains to instill in you. Church kids don't need to go to college; they'll learn far more, without the brainwashing, be entrepreneurs and build their own businesses (maybe inspired by Bill Gates and Steve Jobs?); they'll write books and music, do art and photography, they'll homestead and raise organic food for themselves and make money selling their organic stuff to others. College-educated mothers (who were educated in the system before the Marxists and atheists took over the professorships) will have the necessary knowledge to pass their learning on to their children.

How's that workin' out for ya?

I bought into it; it sounded good to me at the time. The most intelligent, well-read woman I ever knew was self-educated. She bemoaned the fact that she'd never been able to afford college, and yet, I (who had graduated college and watched a lot of my friends party on their parents' dime) had a sneaking suspicion that I'd spent a lot more money and wasted a lot more time than she had.

I changed my tune after hearing on the radio about survey results showing that people with college degrees earn more, on average. This was after I was already becoming disillusioned with that church and its high-sounding principles that turned out to be, in truth, a way to enslave women and raise up children without thoughts and feelings of their own, even if they could quote long passages from Milton and Calvin and a bunch of Puritan writers.

We're playing catch up now. No college fund. No retirement savings to speak of. Kids are on their own. How do you afford college without cosigning on loans? Can't do that, with retirement just around the corner.

I think it's very positive that she's too busy working to overshare the minutiae of her life, write dumbass empty blog posts about shit she has no experience of, and retweet a hundred stupid astrology memes. Less entertaining for us, certainly, but far healthier for her.

I think the Woolf quote could read either way: she may have a room of her own, but she has to earn a living now and doesn't have the money component. Sadly, I think we'll be waiting a long time to hear Xaquerie's fate.

I have the small book from Woolfe with the title about A Room Of Your Own.  Raquel's quote now means I have to pull it off the shelf and read it so I know if she's using a quote out of context.  

9 minutes ago, clueliss said:

I have the small book from Woolfe with the title about A Room Of Your Own.  Raquel's quote now means I have to pull it off the shelf and read it so I know if she's using a quote out of context.  

For once, she's not.

3 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Hmm,

way to set your

goals high.

If all it takes is.

Feeling something.

If one reader

thinks it sucks, 

and another reader.

Is bored.

Everybody is a

great poet.

Someone feels you wrote nonsense

and that is your greatest reward.

Getting your point across

Does not matter.

Does anyone actually believe Raquel has read any Virginia Woolf books? She probably found this quote on Pinterest. 

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

The basic point of A Room of One's Own is how society often holds back women who would be good writers because they don't have the privilege to be able to devote themselves to a craft.  She writes a nice piece of speculative history about Shakespeare's (fictional) sister and how life would have gone for a woman with huge amounts of writing talent.

It's funny to see Raquel quoting this piece because she couldn't manage to finish her novel when she had all the damn privilege in the world.

Here's an amusing tidbit.

I remembered that Raquel's God-horse was one of the FJ post titles, and checked the post title thread, which contains a link to the relevant blog post.

She's scrubbed it.

Couple of searches confirmed she's deleted everything Knight-related.

LOL. But seriously, I'm happy the horse has a chance at having a better owner.

The horse even had a FB page. The horse didn't live up to her expectations so she is erasing him from history. 

42 minutes ago, sea_gale said:

Here's an amusing tidbit.

I remembered that Raquel's God-horse was one of the FJ post titles, and checked the post title thread, which contains a link to the relevant blog post.

She's scrubbed it.

Couple of searches confirmed she's deleted everything Knight-related.

LOL. But seriously, I'm happy the horse has a chance at having a better owner.

Interesting.

The horse post is on the Wayback machine.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived