IGNORED

Radford Family

Apricot

Since they aren't religious - I worry about Sue when she can't be pregnant anymore. I think she may have serious problems, mentally coping with the change of seasons. I hope that the final pregnancies go well for mom and babies.

• I Agree 4

I think that too. I have no idea why she’s been pregnant so many times; with Michelle there was the religious belief thing. I feel like both Sue and Noel have some unresolved issues with being adopted, as they’ve mentioned that before in relation to wanting a big family. Sue’s identity is so wrapped up in having a big family that when the baby train stops it’ll be a huge shock. Even though she’ll have lots of kids in the house for years, until she’s in her 60s, they’ll all be growing up and becoming more independent and won’t need her so much. Perhaps that’s a lot of the reason why - she loves that feeling of being needed, which she didn’t get from her birth parents (although we have no idea about the circumstances surrounding her adoption, she could well have been wanted but her birth parents may not have felt able to cope). 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

• 3 months later...
15 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

Pregnant at 18. That is so young. You’d think they were fundies. 

Sue got pregnant with her first at 14 right? Teen parents often have children who become teen parents.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

39 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Sue got pregnant with her first at 14 right? Teen parents often have children who become teen parents.

I think she was actually 13 when she got pregnant and just over 14 when she gave birth.

Tbh in a family that size I'd expect a couple of teen pregnancies. Just by law of averages and lack of oversight. Millie isn't married so it's not a religious thing. Just normal 'oops' (I presume. Could have been deliberate of course).

• Upvote 7

Didn’t one of her other children have a child as a teen as well?  I think that one is married now with at least one other kid, but I thought this was actually mentioned on one of their specials.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, OhNoNike said:

Didn’t one of her other children have a child as a teen as well?  I think that one is married now with at least one other kid, but I thought this was actually mentioned on one of their specials.

Yes I think that was their oldest daughter Chloe. She was 19 when she had her first. Now married with 3 in total.

• Upvote 2

Where my husband is from in England, this seems like a common thing. He has many Facebook friends who had 3 kids, sometimes by different partners, all before 25, and aren't always married. The government helps provide for children too, so I think that helps young people who have children from going into poverty like so often happens in the US.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, EmainMacha said:

Yes I think that was their oldest daughter Chloe. She was 19 when she had her first. Now married with 3 in total.

It was Sophie, Chloe has no children yet.

Some of the comments were horrible on the announcement. 18 is not an ideal age but she works has a supportive family and while we don't know if the dad is involved or not, she comes across in the youtube videoes as a mature 18 year old and she is one of the ones who seems to enjoy the younger siblings. 

Edited by Glasgowghirl
Pressed send too soon
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 1

18 is young but what’s done is done. No use trashing her for it. It’s way better that her family is supportive. Unlike some fundie families. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 4

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah Sophie is the oldest daughter. She has three kids, two girls and a boy. I believe Sophie had her eldest at a similar age to Millie. Her youngest is about 4, and she hasn’t had any since then.
Yeah, 18 isn’t ideal, but she definitely has a supportive family. 

• Upvote 3

It appears that the dad of Millie's baby is not in the picture, in their last vlog it showed us both her scan and gender reveal and he wasn't present at either. Sue, Katie, Tillie, who still off school recovering from getting her leg lengthened, the youngest children went with her and her reveal in the garden was most of the children that live at home, Sophie and her children, Sue and Noel. She is having a girl, who will only be a few months younger than Sue's baby so by then Sue will probably pass down a lot of baby clothes to her. They also have a big enough house for her to live with them, as long as she needs to. 

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Baby Radford 22 was born april 3, they named her Heidie Rose. She shares her middle name with Sophie, they say they wanted their first and last daughter to share a name, so they seem pretty confident that this will be their last baby. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4

1 hour ago, llucie said:

Baby Radford 22 was born april 3, they named her Heidie Rose. She shares her middle name with Sophie, they say they wanted their first and last daughter to share a name, so they seem pretty confident that this will be their last baby. 

I don’t believe Sue will take any precautions. She has said this is her last for the last two babies. The only reason she thinks this is her last is because of her age. She knows her fertility is probably extremely low and likely won’t get pregnant again. However I think there’s a small possibility she could have one more because she won’t use birth control. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 5

43 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I don’t believe Sue will take Amy precautions. She has said this is her last for the last two babies. The only reason she thinks this is her last is because of her age. She knows her fertility is probably extremely low and likely won’t get pregnant again. However I think there’s a small possibility she could have one more because she won’t use birth control. 

I know. She has been saying for the last couple babies that they are the last and then has one more. But at 45 i think its fair to say that this will probably be her last for real.

• Upvote 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2020 at 1:41 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I don’t believe Sue will take any precautions. She has said this is her last for the last two babies. The only reason she thinks this is her last is because of her age. She knows her fertility is probably extremely low and likely won’t get pregnant again. However I think there’s a small possibility she could have one more because she won’t use birth control. 

She went on birth control after Archie and she was shown on TV taking it, either her and Noel changed their minds  and they got pregnant with Bonnie or it failed. She didn't mention going on birth control between Bonnie and Heidie, so I assume it was either planned or they had decided to not use any birth control and see what happens. 

Noel and Sue posted an update on Tillie who has had a frame on her leg to lengthen it the past few months, she finally got the frame removed and now has a cast on it for a few weeks

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

I’m pretty sure I remember hearing on one of the TV shows about them that Noel had a vasectomy after the ninth child but then had it reversed or something. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

I’m pretty sure I remember hearing on one of the TV shows about them that Noel had a vasectomy after the ninth child but then had it reversed or something. 

Apparently he got it during Sue's 9th pregnancy, but must have had it reversed pretty soon thereafter. There are 18 months between #9 and #10. 

• Upvote 2

Teen pregnancy is more common in the UK than most Western countries or European countries but they have taken action to significantly reduce it and I believe it has about halved in the past 10 years. Through the NIH, there is access to free contraception and they have increased sex-ed in schools. This has meant not just contraception education but also education about consent to both sex and that it's okay to insist on a condom. I did some research on this awhile back when I was on a 'thinking group' for teen pregnancy in my state, and while people "blame" welfare for teen pregnancies in the UK, countries like Australia and many European countries have similar welfare and healthcare systems without the rate of teen pregnancy.

There have been issues with public housing being put together into estates in the UK, something my home country of Australia has been moving away from for awhile because it leaves many youth without hope for their future when they are surrounded by people who are also welfare dependent and unemployed. Australia has moved towards building or acquiring houses or townhouse/condo blocks within an already established area for public housing to minimize the influence of there being a 'community' who are all down on their luck. The UK has made some moves towards the same. There is also culture of not talking about things that are 'private' like sex in the UK, and they've done a lot of government funded interventions targeting parents and how they should talk to their children about sex and contraception.

The rates are still high there, the UK and the US are the outliers among 'Western' countries as far as teen pregnancies go, but the UK is taking significant strides to lowering them. I also think its interesting that you have a country that is more liberal in general than the US, has access to abortion, and still has a high teen pregnancy rate. If you're "pro-life"/pro-birth, welfare is not the common denominator here but it definitely does give girls and young women in the UK the important option of not aborting their baby if they don't want to. They could do so, but they don't when there is a safety net. If you're truly pro-life rather than pro-birth, it's common sense that you should want a good welfare safety net for these women at risk of poverty (and everything associated with living in poverty) due to their young age when they become pregnant because it can "save the precious babies". If you're on the pro-choice side, like I am, welfare gives women the option to keep their child and hopefully the supports to make a better life for themselves and their kid/s and be contributing taxpayers to help others like themselves eventually. Win/Win ;)

The UK is interesting and less straight forward than the US when it comes to teen pregnancy. The US is mostly due to religion and a complete lack of sex-ed like many states in the US, as education has increased for parents and their teens, the rates are falling.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 2

• 2 weeks later...

Millie is naming her daughter Ophelia.

I'm surprised at how much I love the name. She said some of her siblings didn't like the name at first, but maybe that's because they're used to cutesy names (I'm being rude, sorry). 

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, llg1234 said:

Millie is naming her daughter Ophelia.

I'm surprised at how much I love the name. She said some of her siblings didn't like the name at first, but maybe that's because they're used to cutesy names (I'm being rude, sorry). 

It's a nice name and not overly common. I see what you mean with their names, I don't dislike any of the names for the girl's as such but all the girl's including Chris's daughter Maisie and Sophie's oldest Daisy have names ending in the same sound. Only Ophelia and Sophie's other daughter Apryll will be different. 

• Upvote 1

I’m not a fan of Sue’s naming style. They sound like nicknames. But I know that tends to be more common in the UK than US. 

• Confused 1

On 5/4/2020 at 10:22 PM, Aine said:

Teen pregnancy is more common in the UK than most Western countries or European countries but they have taken action to significantly reduce it and I believe it has about halved in the past 10 years. Through the NIH, there is access to free contraception and they have increased sex-ed in schools. This has meant not just contraception education but also education about consent to both sex and that it's okay to insist on a condom. I did some research on this awhile back when I was on a 'thinking group' for teen pregnancy in my state, and while people "blame" welfare for teen pregnancies in the UK, countries like Australia and many European countries have similar welfare and healthcare systems without the rate of teen pregnancy.

There have been issues with public housing being put together into estates in the UK, something my home country of Australia has been moving away from for awhile because it leaves many youth without hope for their future when they are surrounded by people who are also welfare dependent and unemployed. Australia has moved towards building or acquiring houses or townhouse/condo blocks within an already established area for public housing to minimize the influence of there being a 'community' who are all down on their luck. The UK has made some moves towards the same. There is also culture of not talking about things that are 'private' like sex in the UK, and they've done a lot of government funded interventions targeting parents and how they should talk to their children about sex and contraception.

The rates are still high there, the UK and the US are the outliers among 'Western' countries as far as teen pregnancies go, but the UK is taking significant strides to lowering them. I also think its interesting that you have a country that is more liberal in general than the US, has access to abortion, and still has a high teen pregnancy rate. If you're "pro-life"/pro-birth, welfare is not the common denominator here but it definitely does give girls and young women in the UK the important option of not aborting their baby if they don't want to. They could do so, but they don't when there is a safety net. If you're truly pro-life rather than pro-birth, it's common sense that you should want a good welfare safety net for these women at risk of poverty (and everything associated with living in poverty) due to their young age when they become pregnant because it can "save the precious babies". If you're on the pro-choice side, like I am, welfare gives women the option to keep their child and hopefully the supports to make a better life for themselves and their kid/s and be contributing taxpayers to help others like themselves eventually. Win/Win ;)

The UK is interesting and less straight forward than the US when it comes to teen pregnancy. The US is mostly due to religion and a complete lack of sex-ed like many states in the US, as education has increased for parents and their teens, the rates are falling.

You are correct kinda correct in the UK's statistics. Yes the teen birth rate has decreased significantly in the last 10 yrs here in england. Its has gone from 26.6 per 1000 in 2006 to just 14.5/1000 in 2015...a massive drop in figures but the actual rate of teen pregnancy is the same. If you look at abortion rates they have increased at the same rate as the decline so the actual number of teens getting pregnant has been pretty consistent for the last 30 years. You have to look ar pregnancy rates vs birth rates vs abortion rates. What's staggering is that 94.6% of teen births are out of wedlock. To be fair as a british midwife I have seen the numbers coming in to me dropping massively in the last 6 yrs but that's probably due to the area I now cover (more wealthy and educated/ plus a lot of Indian or Asian nationals who marry young) so I only see about 5-6 under 20 year olds a year. 

In the uk you can have a termination free of charge so unfortunately some young girls actually use this as a form of contraception!!!!! 

Teen girls are still getting pregnant at the same rate as the 80's and 90's but the figures and stats are not reliable due to other factors like terminations etc. 

Sex education is a massive factor in schools now and it's not just about the sex it's about the whole relationship and emotional factors. However, the fact that many now know that the NHS and BPAS will pick up the pieces free of charge for their night of stupidity some teens still take risks. 

• Upvote 1