IGNORED

Anglicans suspend Episcopal Church because they aren't bigoted

Boogalou

On 1/15/2016 at 11:47 AM, Cleopatra7 said:

I recently read a book on spirituality in sub-Saharan Africa for a class, and it provided some useful information as to why many African Christians feel so strongly against homosexuality, at least as it's construed in the West (I add this qualifier, because same-sex relations have existed in all times and places, but sexual orientation as we know it is a relatively new thing, and that's what they're reacting against). Laurent Magesa, a Tanzanian African priest and author of "What is Sacred?" says:

This view is also why celibacy tends to be ignored by African Catholic priests (with the blessing of their communities), since it is considered to be just as "unnatural" as homosexuality. I think that Western Christian conservatives greatly underestimate the cultural differences that exist between themselves and Christians in sub-Saharan Africa, differences that will become more obvious as time goes on.

Very odd that he calls permanent infertility a spiritual failing, since that is something one truly has zero control over. I'm curious as to the denomination of Laurent Magesa and how much theological influence he has?

Another thing that pisses me off about this whole situation--some African Anglicans have multiple wives, including some clergy. This is excused within the larger Anglican communion as a cultural difference However, apparently that street only goes one way...

And big ups to all my other fellow Episcopal FJers!

27 minutes ago, nausicaa25 said:

Very odd that he calls permanent infertility a spiritual failing, since that is something one truly has zero control over. I'm curious as to the denomination of Laurent Magesa and how much theological influence he has?

Another thing that pisses me off about this whole situation--some African Anglicans have multiple wives, including some clergy. This is excused within the larger Anglican communion as a cultural difference However, apparently that street only goes one way...

And big ups to all my other fellow Episcopal FJers!

Laurent Magesa is a Roman Catholic priest and theologian, and the point of the book in question was to show how what he called African traditional spirituality could enrich Catholic theology, which still tends to be very Euro-centric in its orientation. I don't know how influential he is, but my guess is that his views are probably quite common among African Catholic priests and laity. If what Magesa says is true, then a celibate priest would not command much respect among his flock in sub-Saharan Africa, which explains why many Catholic priests live openly with wives and children. In fact, priests in the Central African Republic actually went on strike in 2009 to protest the forced resignation of a local archbishop who willingly looked the other way at priestly concubinage:

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=3061

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=3037

The problems with concubinage and polygamy in Africa illustrate the cultural gulf between many African Christians and conservative Christians in the West. For the time being, the two are united against homosexuality, but the latter assume that the former are "orthodox" as they define it, but that's not true. It's worth remembering that some areas of sub-Saharan Africa have been Christian has for over 150 years, but polygamy still hasn't been phased out. Conservative Christians here claim that same-sex marriage is a slippery slope to polygamy, but in actual polygamous societies, the opposite seems to be true. Indeed, given that the only people who are really interested in legalized polygamy in the US are fundamentalist Mormons and Salafist Muslims, the pro-polygamy activists would be better off playing the "religious liberty" card than claiming the freedom to marry as many people as they want.

Another issue of contention is liturgy. Among conservative white Catholic and many high church Protestants, liturgical dancing is the worst thing you can do in church, except maybe ordain a woman or perform a same-sex wedding. But in sub-Saharan Africa, dancing has been used for religious purposes for hundred, perhaps thousands of years, and has none of the profane connotations that it has in the West, and is almost certainly used in African Catholic parishes.  If (or rather, when) conservative white Christians tell African Christians that liturgical dancing is a "liturgical abuse," then the feathers will really fly. 

As a Canadian Anglican, I am profoundly disappointed in the response of the International Anglican Communion.   

I know the Anglican Church of Canada is currently discussing gay marriage at the synod level this year - and I am fervently hoping that love will win (no matter what a person's orientation).

Hear, hear,@treehugger . And hello from another Canadian Anglican!

I must say, I'm rather disappointed at the lack of useful comment from +Fred, though I guess that's supposed to be released tomorrow?

Tiny town has only one ver small Episcopal Church. So, I'm not surprised that there are people who don't know the denomination exists.

The bishop visited our cathedral this week and gave a good sermon.  My favorite part went like this (roughly): "In our church, there will be no second-class citizen.  We won't deny anyone the sacraments of baptism, communion, or marriage based on race, gender, or sexual orientation.  And if someone walks in here who thinks otherwise, I will tell them... welcome.  Worship with us."

I was already leaning towards making my affiliation with the Episcopal church official... this might have sealed the deal.

Archived