IGNORED

Alexander Adventures returns!

nickelodeon

Yeeeeeeeeeehaw pardners, the Alexander Adventures blog updated for what must be the first time in a year! (Not counting minor announcements and whatnot.) I wonder if this signals a true comeback or if the blog will fall asleep for another 100 years. Anyway, Maw Alexander returns to write on the topic of miscarriage, which gets no snark from me because that's not cool. But what's interesting to me is that she also takes some time to snatch wigs from her fellow quiverfullers:

Prior to all the losses a surprising amount of my worth and value was connected to the number of children I had here on this earth. Without even realizing it, I saw myself as "more blessed" because of a growing number of children and "less blessed" when I compared my number to others with a larger number. I have since become very sensitive to this type of pride. I underlined in my Bible Esther 5:11. It's a reference to the evil Haman who plotted to kill Esther and her people. "He boasted to them (his wife and friends) about his great wealth and his many children." I had been like Haman. Not necessarily in my words but certainly in my heart. I believed I was perceived by others to be a greater woman, a more capable home manager, and a diligent, organized mother simply because of the number of children God had given me. I'm afraid the camp of those allowing God to choose their family size is overrun with others dealing with this same ugly pride.

Note that last sentence in particular. Pretty interesting!

1 hour ago, nickelodeon said:

Yeeeeeeeeeehaw pardners, the Alexander Adventures blog updated for what must be the first time in a year! (Not counting minor announcements and whatnot.) I wonder if this signals a true comeback or if the blog will fall asleep for another 100 years. Anyway, Maw Alexander returns to write on the topic of miscarriage, which gets no snark from me because that's not cool. But what's interesting to me is that she also takes some time to snatch wigs from her fellow quiverfullers:

Note that last sentence in particular. Pretty interesting!

Is this Meredith's mother? I love this. I have seen this pride creep in and have seen how it hurts women with fertility issues. My circle of ladies has discussed it some (it has even been brought up in church) and I hope it continues to be a topic of discussion in the future. 

34 minutes ago, Babycakes said:

Is this Meredith's mother? I love this. I have seen this pride creep in and have seen how it hurts women with fertility issues. My circle of ladies has discussed it some (it has even been brought up in church) and I hope it continues to be a topic of discussion in the future. 

Yes, this is Meredith's mother. She has a sad history of miscarriage due in part, IIRC, to having a serious medical condition.

Speaking of Meredith, has Stephen made her did she remove her FB account or just disguise it?

5 hours ago, Babycakes said:

Yes!  I really liked this, too. In my old church, unmarried women and women with fertility issues were really marginalized, and there were some women who had so many children so close together that it really hurt their health.  My current church has discussed it, too, but I hope there is more dialogue. Children are a wonderful blessing, but the "who can have the most babies" competition stuff is so harmful.

I am sorry for Mrs Alexanders's miscarriages and have no snark for that.

I'm not sure what to make of this post though. It seems to be an illustration of the bind that people can feel when they have decided to believe that "all things work for the good of those that love Him" any yet find their lives anything but good.

To her mind, she can either be angry with God over the years of anguish, or accept her experience as God's refinement and retribution for her "pride". She clearly doesn't feel able to rage against God, so she accepts his mysterious will but swipes her anger instead at at the "others" who got their passel of children,but are suffering their share of Pride Downfall too.  It all makes God seem like as much of a vengeful asshole as his followers, punishing women whatever the outcome of their wombs.

I just hope this post is a general musing and not prompted by any troubles in the family.  Meredith spent her childhood propping up the family while her parents were trying for their next blessing.  I hope that Meredith isn't suffering similar fertility anguish in her own family life.

2 hours ago, blessalessi said:

I am sorry for Mrs Alexanders's miscarriages and have no snark for that.

I'm not sure what to make of this post though. It seems to be an illustration of the bind that people can feel when they have decided to believe that "all things work for the good of those that love Him" any yet find their lives anything but good.

To her mind, she can either be angry with God over the years of anguish, or accept her experience as God's refinement and retribution for her "pride". She clearly doesn't feel able to rage against God, so she accepts his mysterious will but swipes her anger instead at at the "others" who got their passel of children,but are suffering their share of Pride Downfall too.  It all makes God seem like as much of a vengeful asshole as his followers, punishing women whatever the outcome of their wombs.

I just hope this post is a general musing and not prompted by any troubles in the family.  Meredith spent her childhood propping up the family while her parents were trying for their next blessing.  I hope that Meredith isn't suffering similar fertility anguish in her own family life.

My guess is that Stephen and Meredith, who seem to get pregnant very easily, have decided that they don't want to have a kid per year and have started to use some kind of birth control.

Now Ma Alexander has had to revise her own beliefs and came up with this. This could also be her way of not having to answer nosy questions about when their next grandchild is coming.

Joy's miscarriage story is really sad.  No snark from here either.

There does seem to be a rather passive aggressive swipe at people who pride themselves in large families there. 

I wonder about the effect recent scandals have had on families like the Alexanders.  They were more influenced by Vision Forum than anything else, AFIK.  Stephen and Meredith becoming more mainstream may also give them pause for thought.

If you look over at Elliot's blog, In the Reality, he was flagellating himself again for his sins again in August.  Sin meaning normal behavior in most young people.  He was "prideful and judgmental."  Or perhaps immature, arrogant and unable to see shades of grey.  People usually grow out of that.

However:

I couldn't see it at the time, but it was a very sorry state for me to live in. I had no one in my life who I could glean from except people who were in the spotlight of my conservative circles. Surely these men had it all together and I could look up to their lives.

I believed this delusion for an awful long time. Whenever one of these men fell, they would be written off completely, no matter how small the offense. They fell short.

Over the course of time, and I would say especially since this past year, God rearranged some stuff in my life and I stumbled onto an old Christian relic called grace.

And naturally God intervened to put him in a much better place.  Yada yada.

Interesting, though.

Didn't one of the Alexanders go on some short term mission trips?  I forget which boy it was.

I remember a week long holiday mission trip involving "brainwashed muslims" and no apparent sense of irony.

Hmm, I have caught up with his blog.  He's a funny old stick, for such a young 'un.  Very proud of his newfound humility! 

I think that being part of the fundie family conferencing networks give so many of these young people an inflated idea of their own importance, and they seem to need to operate on a "See one, Do one, Teach one" basis for every minute growing up experience.

On January 14, 2016 at 4:15 PM, hoipolloi said:

Yes, this is Meredith's mother. She has a sad history of miscarriage due in part, IIRC, to having a serious medical condition.

Speaking of Meredith, has Stephen made her did she remove her FB account or just disguise it?

I have the same question about Meredith's FB page.

Hmmm... Her FB page is indeed down. Must have happened something in the last week. She either deleted it or mas made it very private that prior links won't even work.  Wonder what's up?

I think I read that the new non-broken links that we use are not anonymous, as the admins first thought.  If the Alexanders have folllowed their blog hits back to FJ and now know that some members here are fake FB friends, then it is probably enough reason for Meredith to cull her followers.

I think I read that the new non-broken links that we use are not anonymous, as the admins first thought.  If the Alexanders have folllowed their blog hits back to FJ and now know that some members here are fake FB friends, then it is probably enough reason for Meredith to cull her followers.

Never was a follower but always could see her FB page.

15 hours ago, blessalessi said:

Is this true? Can't find any discussion of this via search.

15 hours ago, blessalessi said:

Even if the links were anonymous, anyone from Meredith's family reading on here would be able to see that she is discussed on FJ sometimes. I wouldn't be surprised if that made her uncomfortable and it could be that she made her FB page dark for a time.  She and I had friends in common on FB and I enjoyed her blog, but she's not someone I ever knew closely enough to feel right friending on FB, so I'm not 100% sure what's going on there.

It's more likely she's suspended or removed her FB account. Previously, her name & account came right up in the search function. Now, it's either not there or it's changed. 

Dollars to donuts that Meredith or her headship read here or have people reporting to them on what shows up on FJ in order to protect Stephen's glorious political future as a conservative judge/politician/President.

Stephen making Meredith take down her FB page makes no sense, even for a nut like him. Her page was well protected so all you ever really saw were the profile pics - cute, overly staged pics of the family.  I know she used the page to keep in touch with her family, so it make me worry that her page being gone will isolate her more than she already was.

I'm not too concerned about Meredith taking down  her Facebook page yet.Plenty of people take Facebook breaks. Knowing her (as much as you can know a blogger) she may have felt it was distracting her from her godly duties as a wife & mother. It could just be a brief break. Not everything fundies do has a sinister motive.

21 hours ago, MissBitters said:

I'm not too concerned about Meredith taking down  her Facebook page yet.Plenty of people take Facebook breaks. Knowing her (as much as you can know a blogger) she may have felt it was distracting her from her godly duties as a wife & mother. It could just be a brief break. Not everything fundies do has a sinister motive.

True. I know a lot of fundie folks who have shops on etsy and when things get busy at home, they'll suspend those as well as their social media.

Archived