IGNORED

What the heck happened to my bread??

FundiesInParis

I just had a loaf of apple bread fall. This is the first time something like this has ever happened to me. It isn't a yeast bread, so I have no idea what caused it.

Can someone explain to me what I could have done wrong?

image.jpeg

My suggestion would be that the baking powder is out of date.  I've had that happen with dumplings and there's no rise.  (Or you left it out?  or used soda and not powder?)

If you didn't use baking powder as the leavener, I'll have to think a little harder.

The only thing I can think of is that the pan is too deep.  I made zucchini bread in a 3" pan and then noticed the recipe called for a shallower pan (2").  I think you need to adjust the time and temperature if using different sized pans (if that's the problem at all). Did you cut into the bread yet?  It might not be the prettiest, but is probably still tasty.  I love to bake quick breads.  Yum!

7 minutes ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

My suggestion would be that the baking powder is out of date.  I've had that happen with dumplings and there's no rise.  (Or you left it out?  or used soda and not powder?)

If you didn't use baking powder as the leavener, I'll have to think a little harder.

hmm, it's not the powder. It doesn't expire until 2017 and I used it at Christmas with no problem. 

6 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

The only thing I can think of is that the pan is too deep.  I made zucchini bread in a 3" pan and then noticed the recipe called for a shallower pan (2").  I think you need to adjust the time and temperature if using different sized pans (if that's the problem at all). Did you cut into the bread yet?  It might not be the prettiest, but is probably still tasty.  I love to bake quick breads.  Yum!

I cut it and it just didn't really set up on the inside at all, despite leaving it in the oven long enough to start burning the outside :/

and I used the correct size pan

This is so strange, quick breads are usually really hard to mess up! 

I've never seen anything quite like that - so I did some googling.

I found this article:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2009/aug/05/fine-cooking-offers-tips-to-avoid-sunken-quick/

With this observation:

Grease only the bottom of the pans. This will allow the batter to cling to the sides of the pan while rising and form a rounded top. A crack down the center is the sign of a good loaf and is caused by steam escaping during baking.

Do you generally use parchment paper?  Maybe that's the problem?

Do any of the other suggestions fit?

3 minutes ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

I've never seen anything quite like that - so I did some googling.

I found this article:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2009/aug/05/fine-cooking-offers-tips-to-avoid-sunken-quick/

With this observation:

Do you generally use parchment paper?  Maybe that's the problem?

Do any of the other suggestions fit?

I think it may have been the parchment paper, it's not something that I normally use with breads, but the recipe suggested it would make removing it easier.

I think, I'll skip it next time.  

Just now, FundiesInParis said:

I think, I'll skip it next time.  

Or put it just on the bottom, not up the sides.

That was new info for me - I never would have thought about it.

:(  I hate baking mishaps - sorry it didn't work the way it should.

Archived