IGNORED

Happy MLK Week from the League of the South!

nickelodeon

Are y'all Americans excited about the three-day-weekend this week? I just love Martin Luther King Jr. Day, or as we true patriots down in Dixie prefer, Lee-Jackson Day! Michael Hill, President of the League of the South, writes:

If you celebrate Martin Luther (Michael) King, Jr. Day instead of Lee-Jackson Day, then you are a moral idiot. King was a philanderer, a plagiarist, and a Communist sympathizer (if not an outright Communist). Both Lee and Jackson were both fine, upstanding examples of Christian manhood.

He writes more about the jolly holiday here. The above quote is from the organization's Facebook page. Sorry MLK, you're not Christian enough or manly enough to deserve your own holiday. Heck, you're not even Martin Luther enough, MICHAEL. The League is giving this three day weekend to someone who always went by his true, Christian name, like Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson! (And Robert E. Lee!)

I was checking up on the LotS today after remembering Doug Wilson's collaborations with Steve Wilkins, the co-founder of the group. You'll remember that they worked together to plagiarize the pamphlet Southern Slavery As It Is, and they're also both involved in Federal Vision and speak at a lot of conference-cum-Civil War Balls. He produced a lecture series for homeschool history curricula, America, The First 350 Years, which I had to listen to when some family friend gave it to my sister on cassette, so now I know how America was godly and great before the North ruined everything, Reconstruction was like living in The Road Warrior, and enslavement and bondage were nbd, obviously! Anyway, as evidenced above, Wilkins and the League are still doing their thing with their poorly designed website and their new and improved poorly designed website. Take note of the ad for a book that "challenges the Uncle Tom's Cabin view of the Old South"... surejan.gif.

Apparently Wilkins has been on the outs with the PCA lately because he's too weird, which I coulda told you ages ago.

It is not a 3 day weekend for me. We work MLK day. Our payroll company just sent out an email that they would also be open this year on MLK, even though the banks would not be.

It was Lee-Jackson-King Day here in Virginia for awhile, until enough people finally started to realise how asinine that was. Now it's MLK Day, no mention of Lee or Jackson, and if I'm not mistaken, most if not all federal and state offices are closed. Schools are closed, too, at least in my part of the state, my teacher husband's got the day off. 

If I don't have to babysit my granddaughter on Monday, I may go to a prayer service at a African American church in Columbia and then march to the Statehouse for a rally in support of equality in education.

Suck it, League of the South!

The LoSers are bitter than fewer and fewer people are buying into their Lost Cause BS, and that black people in particular aren't content to go back to the back of the bus and be servile, smiling "darkies." They're like a cross between Norma Desmond and a crazy Tennessee Williams Southern belle, waiting for the reactionary revolution that's never going to happen. 

I grew up in VA, and remember when they added King to the Lee Jackson day. They split it some time after I moved away, but the do still celebrate Lee-Jackson day. It's the Friday before MLK day, giving state employees, and probably only them, a 4 day weekend. At least before my mil retired from the state they still got it off.

OP, I wasn't aware of league of the south before, craziness!

As a foreigner I feel compelled to say that if you ask around to random people here who is MLK you can have lots of positive answers but it would be quite a challenge to find someone who knows who were Jackson and Lee or remembers of having ever heard of them. The signs they respectively left in the collective memory of humankind are quite different. 

1 hour ago, Anonymousguest said:

I grew up in VA, and remember when they added King to the Lee Jackson day. They split it some time after I moved away, but the do still celebrate Lee-Jackson day. It's the Friday before MLK day, giving state employees, and probably only them, a 4 day weekend. At least before my mil retired from the state they still got it off.

OP, I wasn't aware of league of the south before, craziness!

I had no idea we still have a Lee-Jackson day here in Virginia. Boggles my mind. :my_confused:  I did think that maybe some last few little communities here and there, still stuck in the past, might have some sort of acknowledgement of the day, but not that the state still recognised it. Not sure why I'm surprised, I've been here for a good 50 years and should know Virginia pretty well by now.

Good thing no one in the Bible is held up as an admirable person or role model without having a perfect personal life! Oh, wait. ;)

For these people it's really not about what Dr. King did or didn't do, though. It's about racism thinly veiled as moralizing.

I usually have to work on MLK Day, but it's because I'm in a profession where we can't close for holidays rather than anything to do with this specific holiday.

Heck, as a northerner I barely know who Jackson and Lee were (top guys on the pro-slavery side of the civil war, right?). The version of the civil war I learned was: the north wanted to end slavery, the south didn't, war ensued, we won, slavery ended, yay!. That version is lacking in things like detail, but people are much more interested in the revolutionary war (which we also won, yay!) around here.

When I hear "Stonewall" I think of the riot at the Stonewall Inn that started the gay rights movement, not Jackson.

16 minutes ago, Loveday said:

I had no idea we still have a Lee-Jackson day here in Virginia. Boggles my mind. :my_confused:  I did think that maybe some last few little communities here and there, still stuck in the past, might have some sort of acknowledgement of the day, but not that the state still recognised it. Not sure why I'm surprised, I've been here for a good 50 years and should know Virginia pretty well by now.

Well you are there and I am not, so maybe they don't have it any more? I just remember mil getting a 4 day weekend when they split them, but she's been retired for several years now. We used to get it off from school. I think I was in high school when they added King to it.

11 minutes ago, Anonymousguest said:

Well you are there and I am not, so maybe they don't have it any more? I just remember mil getting a 4 day weekend when they split them, but she's been retired for several years now. We used to get it off from school. I think I was in high school when they added King to it.

I'll have to look into it more. I know the schools don't get off for Lee Jackson Day, and I haven't heard of any other state or local agencies around here (eastern VA) getting the day off, either. 

Well, well, Google is my friend. According to Wikipedia (that bastion of 'truth,' I know, but I think it's reliable enough in this case): " Lee–Jackson Day is currently observed on the Friday before Martin  Luther King Day, which is the third Monday in January. Typical events include a wreath-laying ceremony with military honors, a Civil War themed parade, symposia, and a gala ball. State offices are closed for both holidays. "

The Generals must be so pleased.:my_confused:

ETA: I meant to do a new post with the Wikipedia info, but it merged into my previous one. How odd.

Gee, I wonder how them good old boys would feel if we Northerners decided to celebrate Grant/Sherman Day. We could stage reenactments of Vicksburg, the burning of Atlanta and that way cool march through Georgia. Fun times! On a Monday of course, so we get a three day weekend.

I grew up on the TN side of the TN/VA border (as in right on the border) and I have never heard of Lee-Jackson Day. That's not to say it didn't happen, but it at least wasn't celebrated in a big enough way that I as a fairly average public school child was aware it was going on. I do remember MLK Day being acknowledged.

51 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Good thing no one in the Bible is held up as an admirable person or role model without having a perfect personal life! Oh, wait.

For these people it's really not about what Dr. King did or didn't do, though. It's about racism thinly veiled as moralizing.

I usually have to work on MLK Day, but it's because I'm in a profession where we can't close for holidays rather than anything to do with this specific holiday.

The LoSers could care less whether MLK was with one woman, a thousand women, or no women. The real issue is that he represents everything wrong with modern America, including the fact that fewer people are buying into the neo - Confederate cause. Just look at how conservatives in general complain about how Obama is a radical Muslim anti-colonialist, even though he is much more conservative than MLK and did everything right according to the conservative play book (ie going to elite schools, waiting till marriage to have children, married to the same woman for a long period of time). To be honest, I don't think LoSers or even many supposedly mainstream conservatives like the idea of successful, intelligent, or influential black people, because it goes against their misplaced ideas about white superiority. If black people are poor and servile, it props up their erroneous views about white supermacy. The complaint about Uncle Tom's Cabin is interesting, since almost no one reads that book today (I have and it wallow in 19th century sentimentalism). People wanting to read a fictional depiction of slavery that is sympathetic to blacks will read Beloved by Toni Morrison or Jubilee by Margaret Walker, not Uncle Tom's Cabin. I guess it shows how stuck in the past they are that they can't even come up with a recent book to hate on.

26 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I grew up on the TN side of the TN/VA border (as in right on the border) and I have never heard of Lee-Jackson Day. That's not to say it didn't happen, but it at least wasn't celebrated in a big enough way that I as a fairly average public school child was aware it was going on. I do remember MLK Day being acknowledged.

I was in elementary school in Virginia in the late 60s. 4th grade and 7th grade history was all about Virginia (back then, 7th grade where I lived was still elementary school). I still have my old textbooks, and they're fairly racist, although at the time I didn't notice that, of course. We didn't exactly celebrate LJ Day in school, but we talked a lot about both generals and about how they honorably defended their state against the Yankees.:my_dodgy:  I was long out of school by the time they added MLK to the day in 1983, so I have no idea how that was approached in conjunction with Lee and Jackson. I would imagine a lot of teachers found it quite a challenge! 

1 minute ago, Loveday said:

I was long out of school by the time they added MLK to the day in 1983, so I have no idea how that was approached in conjunction with Lee and Jackson. I would imagine a lot of teachers found it quite a challenge! 

At my school the teachers just talked about Dr. King and other figures in the Civil Rights era like Rosa Parks around MLK Day. Lee and Jackson were not mentioned at that time.

Actually, we learned very little about the Civil War at all when I was in TN public school.

I'm in VA, and yes, we definitely still have L-J Day on the Friday before MLK Day. All the state offices are closed and since that means courts are closed, a lot of attorneys, closing companies, mortgage brokers, etc.. also either close up or work abbreviated hours.
When I was growing up, they used to make a big deal about all three (Lee, Jackson and King) in school, but now, at least near me, the schools are afraid to teach much of anything about Lee, Jackson, the Civil War, etc.. for fear of political blowback.  There are still plenty of community commemorations and events at the historical sites. On MLK Day, there are also lots of prayer vigils and services of that nature at some of the mainline churches.  Not sure if that happens everywhere or if it's just a Virginia thing.

In my Washington state town we have a ceremony at City Hall with speeches on one of MLK's themes or causes. I'm always there because our chorus always sings, and it's always packed. Several other venues have annual events as well.

Archived