IGNORED

Florida couple kept their daughter in a "glorified cage"

mango_fandango

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/florida-couple-kept-adopted-daughter-inside-%E2%80%98glorified-cage%E2%80%99-police-say/ar-CCkNUg?li=AAaeUIW&ocid=UP97DHP

The child allegedly had violent outbursts and this was done to keep the other kids safe- two adopted kids and four biological.

*barf* People are sick.

There's another sad story in the news of an adopted child being abused by her parents:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/01/09/florida-couple-kept-adopted-daughter-inside-glorified-cage-police-say/

Eugenio and Victoria Erquiaga locked up their 12 year old in a small playhouse, restrained with zip ties, and didn't let her out to use the bathroom. Fortunately she was able to escape to a neighbor's house, and the parents are now facing charges. 

Husband is doctor and the wife a lawyer, so presumably intelligent and high functioning individuals who should know both the health and legal ramifications of their treatment of her. It's inexcusable. Except they have an excuse. They claim she has behavior problems, prone to violent outbursts, and locked her up for the safety of their other 6 children (they have 4 bio and 3 adopted including the 12 yr old). 

Even if that were in any way true, there are Many other and better was to handle it. 

Gem of a quote from their lawyer:

The couple’s attorney, Derek Byrd, urged the public to withhold judgment about the parenting style.

“I’m certain any people in the public would say that’s not the way they would handle it, and they’re entitled to their opinion,” he told WTSP. “The question is, is it criminal to handle a problematic child that way?

Yes! Yes it is criminal. :pb_evil:

(Pardon me if this is a duplicate. I couldn't find any sign of this article having been posted as a new thread from the past couple forum pages, and the one result that came up in a search of their last name appears unrelated. Looks like we haven't discussed this pair here before.)

Call social services to get therapy for the child, and perhaps yourself? 

Contact the school (if the kid isn't being homeschooled) or connect with a homeschooling group for support?

Request respite care so you're able to take care of yourself so you can take care of your child? Send your kid to public school so you have time in the day to "do you"?

NAH. Just tie them up and shove them in a dollhouse. That there is the sensible thing to do!

“The question is, is it criminal to handle a problematic child that way? 

The answer is, yes it is. Child abuse is against the law and is completely morally unacceptable, regardless of the child's behavior. 

This is not the correct way to handle a challenging child. At all.

I think I put this in Wide World of Snark, but ah well. It's despicable. Of course it's fucking criminal to handle a problematic child that way. What kind of dense twat would think it wasn't? 

I have no words except I hope they go to jail for life an never allowed another child. There are so many who don't 'qualify' who would be glad to give that child a much better home. I keep hearing money isnt a factor in placing children, but i say bleh.

What goes on in these people's head. Sure children can be difficult, and adopted children may have lived through some trauma that can impact their behaviour, but surely if you're not equipped to deal with it the solution is to NOT ADOPT in the first place. It's not like this was an unwanted pregnancy they couldn't avoid - they had to go through an entire process to even get the kid.

*mind boggles*

Kudos to her for escaping though. That kid will grow into a strong young adult: I hope she manages to put it all behind her and live a happy life.

What is wrong with people like this?  If the child has behavioral problems then get professional help for her.  Don't hog tie her and cage her!  Thank goodness she escaped and the neighbors called the police.

So 8 children altogether - 3 adopted.   All the children are now in care.  I hope the judge throws the book at these people.

This just proves yet again how child abuse cuts across all demographics.

WTH?  This couple is well educated and have financial resources.  There are therapies for children with challenging behaviors.  I know from experience.  I work with children who have challenging behavior- ranging from self-harm to destroying property.

That lawyer doesn't deserve to be one. Wow, what a heartless moron! If my (potential) child were really that violent, that I felt the need to restrain her, I would be calling the cops, not restraining her with zip ties. That's awful.

The fact that these parents trying to justify this is disgusting to me.  OK, so the reality is that some kids are extremely erratic or volatile and at times need to be restrained for their own safety or for the safety of others and perhaps that is true in this case.  This is a horrible reality and was, for me, a soul crushing thing to have to take part in.  However, there are laws as to when these types of extreme measures can be part of a treatment plan and there are laws as to how you go about restraining or restricting the child and there are laws about what training a person must have before they implement such a treatment protocol.  One HUGE HUGE part of all of that is that the child must be under direct supervision throughout the time any such treatment protocol is in place.  Of course that doesn't mean that the child literally has alert and attentive eyes on them every single second, but if escape is possible it should be abundantly clear to a doctor-lawyer couple that you're doing it wrong.  Also, a treatment protocol that confines the child to a small space or uses physical restraints should be terminated after the child is calm for a period of time.  How do you manage that if you are not even watching the child?

I know I am stating the obvious here which is that nothing about this is OK.  I am just disgusted that they would try to justify this behavior.  

What's the point of adopting a child if as soon as there is a little problem, you "caged"/rehome/mistreat him? Aren't they supposed to know adopting is a hard process?These children have a intense past, they can't come to your house and be the perfect little child you expect him to be. Of course, there will be violence, cries, musunderstanding, doubts ... That's alo why therapists, socials workers, psychologist exist .. 

The parents deserve to be put in a cage, then, they will understand why this is a crime to do it to your own child.

4 hours ago, Foudeb said:

What goes on in these people's head. Sure children can be difficult, and adopted children may have lived through some trauma that can impact their behaviour, but surely if you're not equipped to deal with it the solution is to NOT ADOPT in the first place. It's not like this was an unwanted pregnancy they couldn't avoid - they had to go through an entire process to even get the kid.

*mind boggles*

Kudos to her for escaping though. That kid will grow into a strong young adult: I hope she manages to put it all behind her and live a happy life.

Kudos to the neighbors for doing the right thing when she ran to their aid.

WTH?  This couple is well educated and have financial resources.  There are therapies for children with challenging behaviors.  I know from experience.  I work with children who have challenging behavior- ranging from self-harm to destroying property.

I hope those financial resources are frozen and put into a trust to care for the 7 children now needing a new home.

Surely the doctor would know good professionals. I can understand having to put the child in a treatment facility to help them and possibly protect the siblings, or at least give them a breather. I can't imagine them not knowing what choices they had. It's all ego. What would people think. They think you are monsters.

I'm sat here speechless. 

Him being a doctor and her being a lawyer they'd surely know what they where was wrong big time. 

They had the resources to help this child and they do this. 

On January 11, 2016 at 2:35 PM, Toothfairy said:

Sick fucks.  And I can't believe they're highly educated. Apparently not. How do these fools adopt? Do they put on a mask.

It's all about ego isn't it? If we have this unruly child it makes us look bad. I think they could of appropriately  restrained her and it got easier than dealing with her real problems. It got easier and easier to do then before you know it she is s zip tied in a play house all the fucking time. 

Why Florida again? It always seems like the worst/most bizarro stories come out of Florida.

And they have to either be completely out of touch to not know zip-tying and caging a child is wrong, or they just don't care. Whatever the reason, they should not be allowed anywhere near children and face criminal charges for what they did. I hope the 12 year old gets good counseling and a good family to live with.

The couple came up with the method of restraint recently, after seeing zip ties used in a television show featuring police

They came up with their own solution to a behavioral issue. Of course we would not know if the child was in intense therapy, needed line of sight type of care, or was ever institutionalized etc. The adults in the house just decided this was how they were going to deal with a child who has experienced trauma and loss. I know that we can only talk about adoption so much here on FJ as it's been drawn out, but these so called parents in the article probably still think they saved the child and are doing the best they can. I hope they never parent again. 

5 hours ago, MyMilkshake said:

Why Florida again? It always seems like the worst/most bizarro stories come out of Florida.

All those hurricanes screw up peoples' brains?

This makes me sick. Just  I barely can type...poor kids. I say kids, if they do this to her what other things happened in that house.

Archived