IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen - General Discussion Part 16

Coconut Flan

Just saw on Tumblr, John David spent some time with the Reith Family last summer (Sarah Reith is Zach Bates's ex girlfriend, or whatever they call it). He was driving their bus around. The pictures are on their  FB  ( southern raised)

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Omg did Boob successfully push JD on someone? He harassed him about courting so much in that stupid episode with Bin and DerickDillard 

I don't understand how that works. You don't "date" your "best friends" ex-girl. Or, is that the reason why they came up with courtship rules to get around that? (sarcastic):kitty-shifty:

Apparently, he was the summer driver until their parents got their CDL.

JD is one busy man driving the Reiths around and flying his family and others to and fro.  I can't imagine he'd be courting Zach's ex.  Maybe one of her sisters but my guess is no one.  He was just being a blessing to their family.

8 hours ago, GeoBQn said:

Pickles claims that Joe was there for a one-year certificate program.  Sounds totally useful.

thecrowncollege.com/academics/christian-life-certificate/

It is better than no education at all, but not by much.  Unfortunately, it is not likely to prepare him except fundie ministry, so it is just as well he is going to try to get a real estate license.

7 hours ago, twinmama said:

You're welcome. I'm super classy, as you can tell :) 

Oh god. I need to fake being a Christian because those people will totally pay for ANYTHING if you say it's Christian. What a useless piece of crap certificate. Thank god a Duggar took a class on how to live a Christian life, because how the fuck else would he have learned.

Well, the certificate does include Biblical geography and  surveys of the OT and NT.  Plus it is more of a credential for preaching than what Derrick and Ben have.  No education is wasted.

That being said, you know that the Crown college thing was supposed to be a TLC plot device, not anything useful.  Because book learning might make the Duggar kids think they are smarter than JB and that will never do.

Boy that schedule is something-- 4 classes on the Bible and the rest is about how to be a Christian.  By the way if you google "hermeneutics" the first entry after definitions is "What is Biblical Hermeneutics?"

The most important law of biblical hermeneutics is that the Bible should be interpreted literally. We are to understand the Bible in its normal or plain meaning, unless the passage is obviously intended to be symbolic or if figures of speech are employed. The Bible says what it means and means what it says.

I see.  So the Bible is literal except when it is figurative.  Okey dokey.  I guess these kids are not allowed to decide for themselves which parts are literal and which are symbolic or mythological. The "mote in your eye"...symbol or literal? "Spare the rod and spoil the child" symbolic or literal?  Snake who spoke to Eve, burning bush, stone tablets, eye of a needle?  Since mere children cannot be expected to interpret the Bible, I expect there is a lot of memorization going on.

19 hours ago, gustava said:

I'm confused about the Duggar construction business.  What does it involve?

Probably building new homes on the TTH lot for all the J siblings when they get married..  Gotta keep 'em all close!

I think in the past they've purchased foreclosures/fixer uppers, and "flipped them".  Basically, they sent in the able bodied children and made them clean up dangerous messes in abandoned houses to benefit the bottom line.  At least, they did this in one episode. Never clear if they sell, or just keep to increase net worth and have a place for the married kids to live.

5 hours ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

Boy that schedule is something-- 4 classes on the Bible and the rest is about how to be a Christian.  By the way if you google "hermeneutics" the first entry after definitions is "What is Biblical Hermeneutics?"

I see.  So the Bible is literal except when it is figurative.  Okey dokey.  I guess these kids are not allowed to decide for themselves which parts are literal and which are symbolic or mythological. The "mote in your eye"...symbol or literal? "Spare the rod and spoil the child" symbolic or literal?  Snake who spoke to Eve, burning bush, stone tablets, eye of a needle?  Since mere children cannot be expected to interpret the Bible, I expect there is a lot of memorization going on.

I took a Jesus and the Gospels class at my extremely liberal private school in college. It was technically a history class. We talked about the hermeneutics and exegesis. We interpreted the Bible from many "lenses" including political and social. Obviously because we weren't a Christian school, we weren't looking at the Bible from a faith-based perspective, like "What does this mean to you?" or "How should you embody this is your life?". More of what the Bible meant to the times and throughout history. Like how it's sort of a statistical outlier as far as written works are concerned since we are still reading it today and whatnot. Or how people have used the Bible to oppress throughout history. 

But that quote does not sound like what we were learning in our class.

@sophie10130 that sounds like an awesome class actually.  great for putting the bible and it's followers into perspective, and to understand  a lot of world history. or christian world history that is.

Supposedly, according to the email I got from the"Duggar Blog" this morning, Joe is getting certified to drive heavy equipment and is looking into "seminary." Last I heard seminary was a post grad masters program. One year at an unaccredited semi-college isn't going to cut it.

But at least he'll be a Duggar w/a J-O-B!

11 hours ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

It left out the definition when I quoted you.

I took a few Hermaneutics classes at a Christian college. A legit Hermeneutics class or Bible class would not define hermaneutics like that. It would consider the genre just as any class studying literature would. My professor actually stressed that English majors were typically his best students.

2 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

Supposedly, according to the email I got from the"Duggar Blog" this morning, Joe is getting certified to drive heavy equipment and is looking into "seminary." Last I heard seminary was a post grad masters program. One year at an unaccredited semi-college isn't going to cut it.

There are some "diploma" programs at seminaries that don't require a bachelor's degree first.

For example Diploma Southern Baptist Theological Seminary

The program above (which seems to be accredited) requires a minimum age of 30, but there may be others that do not.

At Ambassador's Bible College, which is proudly not accredited, a student may get a "Graduate of Theology" diploma in 3 years, or a Certificate in Bible (one year).  There is also a church secretary degree for "ladies" only, and the bachelor and master's degrees are equally sex-segregated. Ambassador Independent Baptist Programs of Study

Remember the Duggars belong to a sect that thinks a very little knowledge is enough.  Going by this "Quizlet"  for Independent Baptist Ordination, the academic requirements for ministry are roughly on the same level as what some other denominations ask students to learn before confirmation (around age 14).

My take on all this is that Joe might have liked more education but was brought home to do something useful and talking about seminary (Which Ben the Great Preacher is also considering) might be a reflection of the wish to learn more.

11 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

How? The Duggars are way to uneducated

On 1/21/2016 at 4:19 PM, IzzyM said:

Just saw on Tumblr, John David spent some time with the Reith Family last summer (Sarah Reith is Zach Bates's ex girlfriend, or whatever they call it). He was driving their bus around. The pictures are on their  FB  ( southern raised)

I just saw this on Tumblr this morning. Late to the party. I was shocked to see that one of the girls from the Reith Family was wearing pants. I feel bad for John David because it looks like he has put on some weight. The dress code for the Reith Family has changed since Sarah was in a courtship with Zach. I can see shoulders. oh my heaven. What would Kelly Bates say?

Here are some of the photos from Tumblr:

Spoiler

tumblr_o1ab3hAZQX1r9t2zdo2_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_o1ab3hAZQX1r9t2zdo3_500.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_o1ab3hAZQX1r9t2zdo5_500.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_o1ab3hAZQX1r9t2zdo6_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_o1ab3hAZQX1r9t2zdo9_1280.jpg

Here's a photo of Zach and Sarah when they were courting:

Vacation-2-summer-2011-5861_thumb.jpg

Such a change.

I know this does not apply to Duggarland but my brother went to seminary and had a master's degree before he went. Both his undergrad and master's were from accredited schools. My father went to seminary with just his bachelor's degree and got his master's and Ph. D. after seminary.

WHY do they all go into Duggar Real Estate? Is that part of the country just booming in that area? Or just another child never to cut the apron strings? So he and Bin can both issue ridiculous videos and then not be able to remember where they got the quote they used from etc. etc. I hope he is a better public speaker than Bin is. Bin is abysmal. On a good day.

In regards to Duggar girls ...when they reach adulthood and cannot get pregnant I wonder what the family and other fundy types will think?  Christians say "children are a blessing from god" and equate blessing with children in general.  Would the opposite then be the rule as no baby meaning a curse from god?  I have no children and have had two women tell me god didn't bless me or that I am a unfulfilled woman or not as female or worthy of gods grace and blessings as women who have birthed babies.  Christians are some of the meanest people in my opinion.  

On January 23, 2016 at 2:20 PM, biblelandjunkie said:

In regards to Duggar girls ...when they reach adulthood and cannot get pregnant I wonder what the family and other fundy types will think?  Christians say "children are a blessing from god" and equate blessing with children in general.  Would the opposite then be the rule as no baby meaning a curse from god?  I have no children and have had two women tell me god didn't bless me or that I am a unfulfilled woman or not as female or worthy of gods grace and blessings as women who have birthed babies.  Christians are some of the meanest people in my opinion.  

That is horrifying to hear. I am so sorry other women said that to you, especially Christian women.  Am a Christian and I have to admit they really can be mean people. I don't go to church because I can't stand to be around most of them. They have no idea why you don't have children, and it's not their job to determine why or why not people have kids and what meaning it has. Plus it's none of their damn business. And no, you aren't cursed - they are judgemental bitches. 

5 minutes ago, LittleSpouseOnThePrairie said:

That is horrifying to hear. I am so sorry other women said that to you, especially Christian women.  Am a Christian and I have to admit they really can be mean people. I don't go to church because I can't stand to be around most of them. They have no idea why you don't have children, and it's not their job to determine why or why not people have kids and what meaning it has. Plus it's none of their damn business. And no, you aren't cursed - they are judgemental bitches. 

I agree times a million. They suck.

16 minutes ago, Catey said:

John David is wearing a Benham Brothers shirt in that picture.

:annoyed:

Insensitive much?

Considering the family, I'm not surprised. I mean, his mother is the one who made a robo-call against people who are transgender, and his brother is for "traditional marriage", as I'm sure most of the family is.

• Coconut Flan locked and unpinned this topic

Archived